Getting to White Bay

mc53

We will be staying somewhere in Sydney the night before our cruise departs and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if getting a Ferry from Circular Quay to Balmain then getting a cab to White Bay would be a good option.

From what I have been reading White Bay seems to be in an awkward location and as I don't really know my way around Sydney or the public transport I am not too sure if this would be practical.

or Would I be better off just getting a cab from Sydney?

It sounds like a good suggestion if you look at a map.

Unfortunately the problem is that while the wharf is geographically close, they have very tightly restricted controls to the port to make it road access only. And road access that comes from Victoria Road. And unfortunately Victoria Road is on the opposite side of Balmain from the ferry wharf.

As a result, once you got the taxi from the wharf you'd be up for an only slightly less fare than that from the city. Plus you've got the ferry fare on top of that and the waiting times.

And even if you were inclined, public walking access from that end is also not supported so you'd have a longer walk to get to the public foot entry.

Unfortunately the only practical approaches are:

1) bus if you are able to handle the 1km walk from the bus stop i.e. light luggage

2) have someone drop you off

3) get a taxi

4) if coming by plane book a transfer with P&O

Thank you for the information.

We need to get a cab and 2 trains just to get to Sydney our only other option is to get a shuttle directly to white Bay which will cost us $620 return!!!!!!

We can get a nice hotel and dinner in Sydney overnight for much less and next morning will just get a cab directly to White Bay.

Not game to press my luck in Sydney with ferries, buses or walking getting a cab is all the excitement I need!!! :eek:

It's disappointing that the government didn't get their act together on this (hey, what's new?)

I’d suggest the best compromise would have been to have regular bus services divert via the port in the morning on days when ships were in. Given how long it takes to go out there on that road, and then back, and it doesn’t happen every day I can understand the complexity. But they did choose the location and are responsible for ensuring it is accessible.

They failed in that task, again, sorry to say.

The ferry to Balmain sounds a good idea.

When we were in Sydney for a day on a cruise we took the ferry to Balmain to have a look around. We got off at the wharf and there was nothing there...no taxis or buses. There was a timetable but no bus was coming for ages , so we walked , and walked , and walked.... uphill, till we finally got to some shops and caught a bus back into the City.

Even if you did order a taxi to meet you at the Balmain Wharf they would have to drive in a big U shape to get to White Bay which would probably be as far as getting a cab from the City.

There is actually an entrance to the whalf near Balmain, however I am not sure if they allow taxis in as most traffic is coming from Victoria Road, and I never got the chance to see if anyone came in that way (enjoy the tour of concrete as you take the long road to the terminal). But a taxi's or private car are the only ways to get there, without organised coaches.

O'Farrall should of cancelled the project like he promised. As it is by far the worst location it could be in. The terminal is nice and efficient, but its just in a horrible location. Even the ship has trouble getting into the dock. I think the Pearl spent about an hour reversing in.

Great!!!!!!...we are there on Monday jumping on the Pacific Jewell.....not looking forward to it.

Was hoping to drop our luggage and then go for a walk and pick up some supplies for the ship (Water etc), but I don't think that is going to be possible from what I have read.

Great!!!!!!...we are there on Monday jumping on the Pacific Jewell.....not looking forward to it.

Was hoping to drop our luggage and then go for a walk and pick up some supplies for the ship (Water etc), but I don't think that is going to be possible from what I have read.

Only if by “walk”, you mean a - really - long - walk… ;-)

Hi Russell

It is nowhere near shops. We got on the Dawn Princess last Sunday & luckily our son dropped us off. I would get your supplies on the way & it looks like a cab is the best way if you are coming from Central.

We are on the Jewell for a 3 dayer in August. You will have to let us know how it was

Cheers

Tanya

Archived