Bumped in Baltimore October 24th...

WhozyerMAMA

I got a phone call from my agent on Thursday that my husband and I got bumped. We booked with a travel agent, completed our Fun pass- the whole nine yards. We had booked 3 Cat 8a guarantee cabins. This was supposed to be our 8th cruise with Carnival and was disappointing due to the fact that my father in law will not fly. Our agent said the letters about being bumped are going out Friday. Carnival did give us other options after I climbed the supervisor ladder at Carnival. My father-in-law is starting radiation treatment for prostate cancer in November, and Carnival helped us to work around the treatment dates. They actually put us on an earlier cruise on the Legend out of New York which gave us an eight day cruise instead of a 7 day. They are paying for our motor coach to New York and $100.00 per cabin on-board credit. My husband and I are happy with the way Carnival handled the situation due to the fact that we leave 10 days sooner, and really need the vacation. Hope it works out for anyone else who gets bumped. We were really looking forward to leaving out of Baltimore as we are only 20 minutes from the port, but this is better than not cruising at all.

Betty

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Those of us who have to "pick" vacation and stick with it would be in trouble. Still don't see how they can overbook. The ship has x number of rooms....when you sell the last one....don't sell any more. Seems simple enough to me, how come they can't get it. Have a great time on your cruise and our best to your fil. :D

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Those of us who have to "pick" vacation and stick with it would be in trouble. Still don't see how they can overbook. The ship has x number of rooms....when you sell the last one....don't sell any more. Seems simple enough to me, how come they can't get it. Have a great time on your cruise and our best to your fil. :D

Please understand that I sincerely sympathize with people who are bumped and especially those who are unable to change dates (our friend was bumped in May and could not go on the offered date because of her daughter's high school graduation).

Thinking of it from a business standpoint, though, the situation in Baltimore was very unexpected on Carnival's part with the lack of cancellations. How would we feel if the cruise lines booked the x number of cabins on the ship, but then charged a cancellation fee from the time of booking rather than as close as 61 days to your sailing date? And if they find themselves sailing with a lot of empy cabins it will just mean the prices will have to go up.

I know it is their job, but personally I cannot fathom the logistics of trying to fill but not overfill however many ships it is that cruise week after week.

I hope I don't get flamed, and I really do not have more empathy for big business than for us little guys, but I am just trying to look at it from another perspective.

I hope if anything Carnival will realize that if they put more ships out of Baltimore's Port they will fill them. This is the first time we ever went with a guarantee instead of picking a cabin. I am a little disappointed that we will not be cruising out of Baltimore but New York was on my list of places to cruise from so all is well.

Betty

I hope if anything Carnival will realize that if they put more ships out of Baltimore's Port they will fill them. I am a little disappointed that we will not be cruising out of Baltimore but New York was on my list of places to cruise from so all is well.

Betty

I couldn't agree with you more. Carnival will have to see where this is an area in need of a permanent cruise ship. With Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland all connecting, we have many people who love cruising. I am so happy this works out for you all.

Hi,

Living in Baltimore and loving to cruise makes Baltimore a great choice. I could be at the dock in 15 minutes. Also, it's proximity to other major markets should be making the cruise industry's mouths water. There are also great hotels and things to do for those who like to tack a day or two on either end of a cruise. Carnival and the other carriers have been booked solid.

However, I have been following the saga of getting a dedicated cruise terminal built in Baltimore. The Maryland Port Authority recently issued a statement that the makeshift terminals being used would make more money being used for cargo. Ed Hale has plans on the books as well as another group to build great state of the art terminals, but they seem to be running into the typical Maryland political interference. It either takes an act of god or some very heavy greasing of palms to get things moving. To most of us, it seems to be a "no brainer". Ships equal people, people equal money, cruise ships equal tax dollars. Maybe, I'm just not as smart as the politicos. After all, they have been telling me for years what's best for me. Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm glad that Carnival was able to take care of you.

BAR10DER

I'm so glad you "get it". While I don't work for a cruise line, I do understand the logistics and logic of overbooking from travel industry prospective. It is a necessary evil in order fill ships and make the most $$. Being able to cancel as close in as you can on a cruise, makes it much more risky for the cruiselines.

As for Baltimore, their computer models will begin to figure out what the level should be and things will go much more smooth in the future. With a new market, you really don't know what to expect and have to use averages instead of past booking history.

I hope all of the Baltimore passengers (and others that are bumped) can somehow find a vacation that fits their needs. We are part of the population that has to pick a date and stick with it, so I know what its like to not be able to be flexible.

Happy Travels!

I'm glad that Carnival did so much to help you out on your cruise! That's great that you get a longer cruise, even if it is on a different ship, port and date!

There has been some discussion lately since people from several sailings of the Miracle have been bumped. I really think that since they overbook most sailings, they weren't prepared for fewer cancellations.

Enjoy the Legend! She's a beauty! :)

While I live in the Baltimore area, let's face it Dundock is less than a scenic place to sail out of. From what I've seen the "terminal" is a wearhouse with folding chairs and the port seems more put out by cruise ships than welcoming. At least the terminal is fairly easy to get to. I know there has been proposals for a better terminal closer to the touristy areas but I doubt the numbers work. I saw one proposal for a new terminal in the Domino Sugar building, the veiw from there would be impressive.

I would do anything to have a permanent cruise terminal in Baltimore. My DH and I live in Northern Virginia and an hour and some is not too bad to travel...AT ALL....compared to having to completely uproot and fly somewhere. I know a lot of folks here where I work when I told them I was sailing out of Baltimore that is if there is no bumping...My DH and I are on the October 24 sailing...they thought that was great and all of a sudden people were telling me how they always wanted to go on a cruise but their DH or DW wouldn't fly, etc., etc., and could I get them information.... I don't care what the pier looks like, what kind of view there is...means nothing...just get me on the ship and into the water!!!

...I told my husband about the bumping only last night and now I've got him all worried. I think we might be ok since our TA reserved about 75 rooms a year and a half ago...don't know if they would bump a "group" like that.

vermonter16

CCL Pride 01/03

RCCL AOS 02/04

CCL Miracle 10/04

Archived