Introducing Someone to Cruising - Where and How Long?

SelectSys

So I have been away from cruising for quite sometime and am looking to restart again. My wife hasn't ever been on a real cruise before, but is quite an good traveler and somewhat adventurous.

What are some good ideas for a cruise? We can go for up to two weeks and are fairly flexible on in terms of time of year etc. The obvious would be to take a 7 day to Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean, but I am trying to think beyond just that.

Thoughts from the group here? Thanks in advance!

Note - of the standard 3, I am least interested in Alaska

So I have been away from cruising for quite sometime and am looking to restart again. My wife hasn't ever been on a real cruise before, but is quite an good traveler and somewhat adventurous.

What are some good ideas for a cruise? We can go for up to two weeks and are fairly flexible on in terms of time of year etc. The obvious would be to take a 7 day to Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean, but I am trying to think beyond just that.

Thoughts from the group here? Thanks in advance!

Note - of the standard 3, I am least interested in Alaska

From your post I would recommend something on Princess for one of their Caribbean 4, 5, or 7 day itineraries from Ft Lauderdale or Houston. Ft Lauderdale has easier logistics for getting from the airport to the ship.

Short itineraries, at times, are 'booze cruises' but Princess seems to have a nice handle on things.

Of course, 7 days is always a good choice.

I suggest you wait for the 14 day choice until your wife is hooked! Then try a 14 day, full transit, Panama Canal from LA to Ft Lauderdale (or reverse).

I agree with PP - not sure I would try a really long cruise as first one. But if you think she will like it, and you want to be adventurous - what about a round the horn cruise:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?durationCode_10plus=true&price_max=1000000.0&currencyCode=USD&destinationRegionCode_SAMER=true&currentPage=0&action=update

... or Houston...

Short itineraries, at times, are 'booze cruises' but Princess seems to have a nice handle on things.

Of course, 7 days is always a good choice.

I suggest you wait for the 14 day choice until your wife is hooked! Then try a 14 day, full transit, Panama Canal from LA to Ft Lauderdale (or reverse).

Houston is something I didn't really think of. It is a somewhat quicker flight for us than going to Florida.

She says she is up for more than a week, but you just really never know how someone is going to react although I don't know many people who have tried cruising and didn't want to keep going longer or go back.

I agree with PP - not sure I would try a really long cruise as first one. But if you think she will like it, and you want to be adventurous - what about a round the horn cruise:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?durationCode_10plus=true&price_max=1000000.0&currencyCode=USD&destinationRegionCode_SAMER=true&currentPage=0&action=update

Actually, the "round the horn" cruise is a good idea as my wife is a fluent spanish speaker. I wonder how cold the weather is as both of us prefer warmer climates.

If you don't mind a bit of long distance air travel you could come and visit us folks down under.

There are great cruises to New Zealand or the Pacific Islands - usually New Caledonia, Vanuatu and sometimes Fiji.

Cruises depart from most major Australian cities - Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne all have great round trip itineraries.

Some of the cruises are reasonably short - 9 nights or less, so would fit with travel to and from the US.

Actually, the "round the horn" cruise is a good idea as my wife is a fluent spanish speaker. I wonder how cold the weather is as both of us prefer warmer climates.

Given your comment about Alaska being last on your list...know that the 'round the horn' itineraries are in the same southern latitudes that Alaska is in the northern latitudes.

Viewing glaciers is a feature of both itineraries. :D:cool:

There are great cruises to New Zealand or the Pacific Islands - usually New Caledonia, Vanuatu and sometimes Fiji.

Some of the cruises are reasonably short - 9 nights or less, so would fit with travel to and from the US.

That is a good idea! I really like both Australia and NZ and, the flight frequent flights from LA work out well. When would the bests months be for the Pacific Islands. This would be a new experience for both of us? With the right cruise dates, I could probably couple a 9 cruise with a few nights somewhere on one end or both.

BTW - I just saw that Air New Zealand has some reasonably new type of coach seats that are supposed to be good for overnight flights. Their prices look better than Qantas premium economy. Any experience with these seats?

Given your comment about Alaska being last on your list...know that the 'round the horn' itineraries are in the same southern latitudes that Alaska is in the northern latitudes.

Viewing glaciers is a feature of both itineraries. :D:cool:

That is kind of what I thought. Thanks.

Edited by SelectSys

BTW - I just saw that Air New Zealand has some reasonably new type of coach seats that are supposed to be good for overnight flights. Their prices look better than Qantas premium economy. Any experience with these seats?

If you can get an Air NZ "Spaceseat" in Premium Economy (only available on 777-300 longhaul flights), they are terrific - but I've heard the "Skycouch" in Economy isn't all that helpful except for fairly petite people (or children).

I love transoceanic cruising with lots of sea days, so my cruise to New Zealand was wonderfully relaxing - but I would hate a Caribbean cruise with lots of island ports. I think port cruisers are very different than sea day cruisers.....consider that difference when choosing (which do you think your wife is?).

I know this doesn't add more to the discussion, SelectSys, but if she told you she can handle more a week and is a seasoned traveler as you claim - She pretty much gave you carte blanche on where to go, which is anywhere but Alsaka (where you don't want to go). A good traveler knows they're limitations and likes/dislikes - you say she's adventurous; is that walking through a rainforest/hike in the mountains/ rafting in the river ~or~ is that walking in town/see historical sites /sightseeing from a car?

Whatever you choose, I'm sure she will agree with it and enjoy it as much as you. Some of the ideas others gave are pretty good - why not run them by her? She might help you narrow it down.[emoji1]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Houston is something I didn't really think of. It is a somewhat quicker flight for us than going to Florida.

She says she is up for more than a week, but you just really never know how someone is going to react although I don't know many people who have tried cruising and didn't want to keep going longer or go back.

Since she is willing to do more than a week, you might look at HAL's 14 day Alaska.

Edited to add-- somehow I missed seeing that you don't want Alaska. But actually, since Alaska cruises are in summer, the temps aren't bad.

Edited by NMLady

If you can get an Air NZ "Spaceseat" in Premium Economy (only available on 777-300 longhaul flights), they are terrific - but I've heard the "Skycouch" in Economy isn't all that helpful except for fairly petite people (or children).

Thanks for the tip. I am well over 6 feet so I don't think the "Skycouch" would work all that well. In these days of 31" seat pitch on Qantas, I'll just have to pay for premium economy.

I love transoceanic cruising with lots of sea days, so my cruise to New Zealand was wonderfully relaxing - but I would hate a Caribbean cruise with lots of island ports. I think port cruisers are very different than sea day cruisers.....consider that difference when choosing (which do you think your wife is?).

You know this is a great point! I actually think my wife is a port cruiser. She is very, very active and might get bored with 5-6 days at sea. I will definitely ask her about that. I like both as I enjoy the rhythm of days at sea.

I know this doesn't add more to the discussion, SelectSys, but if she told you she can handle more a week and is a seasoned traveler as you claim - She pretty much gave you carte blanche on where to go, which is anywhere but Alsaka (where you don't want to go). A good traveler knows they're limitations and likes/dislikes - you say she's adventurous; is that walking through a rainforest/hike in the mountains/ rafting in the river ~or~ is that walking in town/see historical sites /sightseeing from a car?

Whatever you choose, I'm sure she will agree with it and enjoy it as much as you. Some of the ideas others gave are pretty good - why not run them by her? She might help you narrow it down.[emoji1]

You are correct, I am not worried about the duration. Our two biggest constraints are time and money. The maximum practical amount of time I can leave my work at one time is 3 weeks. On the money front, I try and look for overall value which is one of the things that drew me to cruising in the first place.

So far I am thinking of the following:

1) Southern Caribbean

2) Eastern Med from Italy

3) Australia/NZ/South Pacific

4) French Polynesia

For sure I will ask her for her preferences.

It is somewhat humorous that the mention rafting. When she was younger, she was tourist photographer taking pictures of people rafting, rappelling, etc.