Where was your first cruise?

kandj05

Where did you go on your first cruise? What occurred on it that made you want to do another cruise?

I'll start. In 2001, I went on the Vision of the Seas to Alaska with a friend. What I liked the most was not cooking, no housekeeping, drinking and not driving, and meeting so many people.

Looking forward to reading your experience!

February 2004 on Navigator. We had moved to Florida in 2003 and this was a get-together with our friends from NJ. We knew nothing about cruising and they had all done it before, so they picked the ship and the itinerary. We just knew when we were going and what to pack. So we did.

We were amazed -- just fun. We all had our own ideas of what to do during the day, after looking at the shore excursions.....some times we did things together, sometimes not; we all met for dinner. It was a blast.

Sorry to say, we don't remember much of the details of the ship herself, so we are going on Navigator again now that she is back to home porting in FLL this coming fall -- this time instead of it being cruise #1, it will be cruise #18. Because of her refurb, it will be as if we are going on a different ship, even though it has the same name.

1989 - Carnival's Jubilee; Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas.

I won our cruise through a radio contest which included airfare and 7 day cruise - I was ecstatic and was sold on cruises from the first day (even though I suffered badly from seasickness). It took DH a few cruises before he really started to look forward to the next one. Persistence pays off! :D

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

January 2005. Christmas gift from my in laws was a 3 night (or was it 4?) on Soveriegn of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. I just remember lots of chickens at CocoCay and all the food and fun on the boat. Fast forward through a lot of monetary rough times to 2013 when hubby and I walked onto Freedom for #2. All was amazing until walking off and then I cried like a baby to be getting off! hahahaha....

is it October yet???

Last year, NCL Breakaway was the 1st one booked for November one but Carnival Splendor was the last minute one in April - Glad I still had one booked when the Carnival trip ended because darn that was all different types of wrong. The port stops, meals taste and alcoholic beverages were fine and/or excellent; the comedy shows in the evening time was pretty good; the one daytime entertainment show they had during the whole week was pretty good but some of the other passengers made really bad Walmart shoppers look good. And I will leave it mostly at that - When I cruise on NCL later on, it was like a difference of night and day; no one gave me a mean look while I sat at a table by myself nor came up to my table and asked me stupid questions of why I was here.

Found my cruise line of choice for the birthdays (NCL) and now I'm on a mission to find a last minute one for the rest of the year (or at least springtime). :)

Edited by maywell

First cruise was NCL to Bermuda, drunken passengers. I swore never again! Years later we took a more luxurious cruise on a smaller ship and we took up cruising again but only for itineraries and certain ports. I don't like cruising for the sake of cruising, the weather or the beaches.

February 2007--Carnival Victory out of Miami going to Costa Maya, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. Afterwards, we did an excursion to the Everglades.

We loved it, but since it had taken us a couple of years to save up the money for the cruise, we didn't think we'd be taking another one soon. Of course, instead of not cruising, we ended up just taking shorter cruises for the first couple of years after we had started cruising.

I had been cruise dreaming since being a child but thought I would need muchos money and be old to be on one.

Saw an advert and booked a cheap as chips 12 night Baltic cruise with Carnival and was in love within minutes of stepping on the ship.

I love the open ocean mainly and seeing different countries in comfort...everything else is icing on the cake.

Celebrity Galaxy to southern Caribbean in 2001. Flew into San Juan on connecting flights the day of my cruise. Arrived on time at 4:30pm (thankfully) for a 7:00pm departure. I had not discovered Cruise Critic yet, but that was the last time I flew to port the same day of my cruise!

Edited by dplusd

Our first was in 2002, a Western Mediterranean cruise on the Splendour of the Seas for our 25th anniversary.

I had suggested a cruise for that occasion, and DW agreed. However, I suggested Bermuda, while she thought it should be Alaska. (We have since sailed to both those destinations and took a similar cruise for our 35th anniversary.)

Then I found the cruise we took, Barcelona to Barcelona including stops for Rome, Florence, and more. Since DW is an elementary art teacher, I was sure she would approve, and she did.

1986 Galapagos cruise on the 12 passenger MV San Pedro. Great cruise with couples from the Netherlands, Brazil, and Italy plus an American woman with her daughter and her sister the sister. The newlywed Brazilians were given the best cabin, we had bunk beds and a shared shower.

Mine was the NCL Star; through the Hawaiian Islands and down to Fanning Island, Kiribati. Loved the cruise, never sailed with NCL afterwards.

Edited by Treven

Our first cruise was seven days to the southern Caribbean.

While we had a nice time, it did not thrill us. We did not go on another cruise for 6 years. The second cruise was to Alaska on Princess and that is what hooked us. Since then we have taken 32 cruises for 525 days with Princess.

Where did you go on your first cruise? What occurred on it that made you want to do another cruise?

I'll start. In 2001, I went on the Vision of the Seas to Alaska with a friend. What I liked the most was not cooking, no housekeeping, drinking and not driving, and meeting so many people.

Looking forward to reading your experience!

Our experience was on the Sovereign of the Seas in 1994, and we had quite the experience. Jerry Lewis was aboard and filming segments of his Labor Day Telethon! The entertainment really spoiled us with many first- rate headliners. It certainly whet our appetite for cruising! Ports were great; however, I remember much more about the shows than them and seeing Jerry Lewis in the dining room with the rest of us each night.:)

Mine was in 1972; a four-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Emerald Seas. (I was nine at the time and loved it.)

Shortly thereafter we (as a family) discovered Sitmar, which was a truly WONDERFUL line and over the next decade we went on many cruises with them. :D

My first probably should not be called a cruise - travelling to Bermuda from New York in 1953 and returning after a week on the island: making it more transportation than cruise. Very young and impressionable, I loved it but never got around to actual cruises for more than 40 years (US Navy ships, while utilitarian, do not really count). In 1996 my first REAL cruise - Istanbul to Athens - I loved it and was hooked - but had a job and children to educate, so the next was 2002 - the year after my youngest finished education - from then on, with ample time and available resources, I have cruised at least once every year: Caribbean, Atlantic, Pacific, Mediterranean.

Our first was in 1996 on the Norway to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We usually went to Walt Disney World with our kids, but that year my husband said "no Disney", so I asked a friend who had just become a travel agent for suggestions. She suggested a cruise. We loved it. But we still go to Disney World - often adding a cruise before or after.

2010 RCI Voyager of the Seas, 7 night Western Caribbean. It was supposed to be an EMT Continuing Education cruise (the only way I could get DH to go on a cruise) but right at final payment, the organizers realized they didn't have enough participants for the educational portion. We went anyway and were seated at dinner with six others who had booked under the same circumstances. We had great meals and the cruise got me hooked. DH isn't quite as hooked, but he does indulge me every couple of years.

Well, if you count military transport moving from my father's Air Force postings, we left Alaska and disembarked in Seattle. I was 7 years old.

It actually began my life long love of the sea.

My first "luxury" cruise was in 1968. I don't remember the ship or the cruise line. We left from Miami, on a 4 night cruise to Nassau. What I do remember is that drinks were cheap, the AC was out in our cabin and we had a wonderful time.

Our 1st recent cruise was on the Radiance of the Seas to Alaska from Van Couver.