Carnival Ecstasy out of Charleston and rough seas?

Rachel16

Hi everyone,

My last cruise on the Atlantic to Bahamas was on Premier Cruise lines in the early 90's named The Big Red Boat. Does anyone remember that ship? Rough going out of Port Canaveral. By todays standards The Big Red Boat looks like a elongated tug boat ;)

Anyway we are strongly considering Carnivals Sailing from Charleston to Half Moon and Nassau April 2017.

For anyone who has sailed out of Charleston during this time frame I pose the following question.

1. How are the seas?

We have sailed to the Eastern and Western Caribbean in the past during March April and May. Lovely most of the time. A little choppy arriving back into Tampa. Nothing to complain about.

It appears the Ecstasy has a love it / hate it relationship with passengers. We know going into this sailing the ship is from the Fantasy Class and actually we do prefer a smaller passenger capacity.

Your feed back is appreciated in advance. Thanks:)

We have sailed out of Charleston SC during the time you are listing, and actually a few other times ( and soon to be Saturday!!!) any how...

Assuming that there is not a weather front moving through ( which we have been lucky to not have) then it was smooth sailing out and down the coast.

The Esctacy really does not move to much unless the waves are pretty high.

Hope that helps.

THANK YOU for your quick reply.

It sounds like you have sailed out of Charleston at various times of year.

I bet your excited for your upcoming trip !! Plus the recent dry dock changes and additions will be nice to check out!!

Have a great time and thank you again.

Rachel

Hi everyone,

My last cruise on the Atlantic to Bahamas was on Premier Cruise lines in the early 90's named The Big Red Boat. Does anyone remember that ship? Rough going out of Port Canaveral. By todays standards The Big Red Boat looks like a elongated tug boat ;)

Anyway we are strongly considering Carnivals Sailing from Charleston to Half Moon and Nassau April 2017.

For anyone who has sailed out of Charleston during this time frame I pose the following question.

1. How are the seas?

We have sailed to the Eastern and Western Caribbean in the past during March April and May. Lovely most of the time. A little choppy arriving back into Tampa. Nothing to complain about.

It appears the Ecstasy has a love it / hate it relationship with passengers. We know going into this sailing the ship is from the Fantasy Class and actually we do prefer a smaller passenger capacity.

Premier's ships were the SS Atlantic and SS Oceanic. I remembet that well because the Atlantic was my first cruise when I was a teenager and I have been hooked ever since.

As far as the seas, it changes daily. You might as well ask if it will be raining or cloudy during that time.

I have not been on the Ecstasy, but have sailed on several Fantasy class ships and I love them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Forums mobile app

Edited by stobe1

We sailed on the Ecstacy last March on that itinerary and we experienced slightly rough seas the first night. My DH was up all night and couldn't sleep because of the rocking, but it was pretty tame compared to other stories I've read on here! The rest of the cruise was very calm though! Enjoy your cruise, we loved the Ecstacy, she's a very charming ship!

Hi everyone,

1. How are the seas?

We sailed her in March and its gonna be a little rocky until you get more south; sailing within the islands usually has very little roll but that first day and a half expect some noticeable movement. I would guess 6-8' seas so f you get sea sick come prepared because odds are you won't be walking a straight line down the hall.:D

We enjoy every cruise but that was our least favorite - no balconies - which meant with the colder weather the first and last 1.5 days, everyone was driven inside. And with no couch in the room, we had no where to escape for quiet time. So expect that the Lido deck may not be warm enough to use comfortably at the front and back of the cruise, and so the ship will feel more crowded.

We sailed on the Ecstacy last March on that itinerary and we experienced slightly rough seas the first night. My DH was up all night and couldn't sleep because of the rocking, but it was pretty tame compared to other stories I've read on here! The rest of the cruise was very calm though! Enjoy your cruise, we loved the Ecstacy, she's a very charming ship!

Thank you for sharing yours and your husbands experience. I believe that we will also agree to it's charm.

:)

We sailed her in March and its gonna be a little rocky until you get more south; sailing within the islands usually has very little roll but that first day and a half expect some noticeable movement. I would guess 6-8' seas so f you get sea sick come prepared because odds are you won't be walking a straight line down the hall.:D

We enjoy every cruise but that was our least favorite - no balconies - which meant with the colder weather the first and last 1.5 days, everyone was driven inside. And with no couch in the room, we had no where to escape for quiet time. So expect that the Lido deck may not be warm enough to use comfortably at the front and back of the cruise, and so the ship will feel more crowded.

THANK you for taking your time to reply. I do appreciate it!!

I have cruised twice from Charleston and Jacksonville (very close in proximity). Every cruise, we could feel the movement a little the first night, but that was it.

**Our last cruise from Charleston was rough heading back the last day, but that was due to us being delayed looking for the lady that went overboard, but they had the ship in the wind to make up time.

I have cruised twice from Charleston and Jacksonville (very close in proximity). Every cruise, we could feel the movement a little the first night, but that was it.

**Our last cruise from Charleston was rough heading back the last day, but that was due to us being delayed looking for the lady that went overboard, but they had the ship in the wind to make up time.

-------------

Thank you for your first hand observations.

OH MY GOODNESS you were sailing during that tragic event? No words... :(

Premier's ships were the SS Atlantic and SS Oceanic. I remembet that well because the Atlantic was my first cruise when I was a teenager and I have been hooked ever since.

As far as the seas, it changes daily. You might as well ask if it will be raining or cloudy during that time.

I have not been on the Ecstasy, but have sailed on several Fantasy class ships and I love them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Forums mobile app

You forgot the SS Majestic. She was the first ship we ever cruised on. Did the outer Abaco islands of the Bahamas. :D

You forgot the SS Majestic. She was the first ship we ever cruised on. Did the outer Abaco islands of the Bahamas. :D

The Majestic was also our first cruise!! Think she was about 18,000 tons...small! But it was great cruise and got us hooked....We also love the Fantasy class ships!

I've sailed out of Charleston in early February 2016 and late October 2016. Both times I got sea sick coming back in on the last day or night. I take it with a grain of salt, because you just never know. We had 70 mph winds in October.....I found the higher up and mid ship I went, the easier it was to fight being seasick. Take your remedies for seasickness and try not to think about it :)