Advice on Itinerery change for October 9th Paradise

bowman_dani

I just received the call that the itinerary has changed on this sailing, they now will be going to Cuba and Cozumel instead of Grand Cayman. If I stay on this sailing I will have a extra $75 a person fee as it is a overnight in Cuba. With working within my time frame for fall break I also have these options

1) 5 night on the Sensation out of Miami stopping in Ochs Rios and Grand Cayman, it will cost about $150 more than what I have already paid.

2) 4 night on Victory out of Miami stopping in Key West and Cozumel and it is about $150 cheaper than currently paid fair

3) 5 night on the Elation out of Jacksonville stopping at Half Moon Cay and Bahamas it is basically the same price at $5 cheaper.

4) or a 5 night on the Liberty out of Port Canaveral stopping in Free Port and Nassau it is $133 cheaper.

It will be our very first cruise and it is my husband, myself and my two children ages 12 and 10. Any advice on which is the better option?

Why wouldn't you go to Cuba??? This is currently a rare opportunity!

But if you decide not to, do not pick 3 or 4 as they are Bahamas cruises. These are repeatedly sited as the least popular ports of call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly its just not somewhere that I want to visit.

Honestly its just not somewhere that I want to visit.

It would help to know why you don't want to visit there...it is reportedly one of the most beautiful countries in the Caribbean, and I think most are thrilled it is becoming a port of call.

My next question would be what are you looking for out of this cruise? Exploring new counties? Adventure activities? New experiences? Beach days?

People cruise for all types of reasons - and where you go is going to impact your trip. If you are expecting a beautiful paradise in the Bahamas, you are not going to find it anywhere near the pier, except the private island. Nassau is crowded and dirty and can have very pushy locals - so if you are looking for a beach day, this is not your best option. If however you want to learn about Bahamian culture, there are great things to do. Freeport likewise is problematic - it docks in an industrial port and it's a 20 minute taxi ride to the primary beach area.

Ocho Rios can also have very pushy people targeting tourists and it is nice to hire a private company to guide you around and drive off any aggressive people - for example, a couple tried to charge us for taking pictures of some drawings on a rock wall with a threatening demeanor. It's a gorgeous island but you need to know stuff before you go.

And personally, I have done trip #2. We loved that cruise. Both port stops are fun. But DH and I agreed it was not a cruise for our teen boys - because it is shorter, it tends to bring a huge party hardy atmosphere.

So, more information would be helpful in us guiding you!

Not sure about your sailing but for our August 24th sailing, Carnival was offering $100 per person on board credit to help with the Visa cost.

They were also price protecting same number of day cruises from certain ports.

I was booked for the 8/24 cruise that was changed as well. I was able to change to the Liberty 4 day going to Nassau and Princess Cay on 8/20 for a small up charge in port fees as they can't price protect the port fees. The agent I spoke to was super friendly and explained all our options to us.

The reason we switched is because I was born in Cuba and would have an added expense of obtaining a Cuban passport added to the cost of the cruise.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

We are really just looking for a great family trip, I haven't researched the Cuba port enough to get excited about it I guess is my biggest reserve against it. With my kids being 12 and 10 they are pretty good to go with the flow with whatever.When I initially booked on the Paradise I hadn't done enough research on the ships,and that's another reason I am looking at the other options. I have read that Paradise is one of the older ships so kinda looking to see if one of the other ships is more up to date. Which ever we end up on will be better than being home. We are not picky about things and each booking seems to have draw backs, trying to decide which sounds better to me before the husband gets home and gives me his opinion:p Even though its far from last minute, knowing I HAVE to get a decision made ASAP kinda makes me anxious.

I think Liberty is the newest of the ships but again I vote a strong NO to that one for reasons stated. Sensation and Elation are sister ship to Paradise so similar depending on various upgrades. Do you know how to run a ship comparison on the Carnival site? Victory is a larger ship but doesn't have the water park that some of the others may have (not sure which of Fantasy class have that addition) if my memory is correct.

Personally, I would go to Cuba. Victory would be my second choice - and just be prepared for that long weekend party crowd!

I think Liberty is the newest of the ships but again I vote a strong NO to that one for reasons stated. Sensation and Elation are sister ship to Paradise so similar depending on various upgrades. Do you know how to run a ship comparison on the Carnival site? Victory is a larger ship but doesn't have the water park that some of the others may have (not sure which of Fantasy class have that addition) if my memory is correct.

Personally, I would go to Cuba. Victory would be my second choice - and just be prepared for that long weekend party crowd!

I just got off the phone with Carnival, with the change they are basically giving a $100 credit and the visa charge is a $75 per person so in essense $25 a person on board credit because of the change. Sooo I think we are going to keep this sailing. Thanks for the advice!

I just got off the phone with Carnival, with the change they are basically giving a $100 credit and the visa charge is a $75 per person so in essense $25 a person on board credit because of the change. Sooo I think we are going to keep this sailing. Thanks for the advice!

Please make sure passports for everyone are up to date, and expire at least 6 months after your trip. Other than that, enjoy your cruise!

What about the Travel Affidavit you are required to complete? There are 12 categories of approved travel and tourist is not one of them. I read them and don't feel that I qualify for any of them. What do you do?

What about the Travel Affidavit you are required to complete? There are 12 categories of approved travel and tourist is not one of them. I read them and don't feel that I qualify for any of them. What do you do?

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/984495/1487085278/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDg3MjcxNjU3L3NpZC9mVXoxQllfSnpLMHJnMW9JbDVqVkhuWXlHbExCTjRGYkpEdzRmTzhPU3o0RWtpMUJzdkVMbFNxN2ZrR2N0N2NaRHh2Q3E3dElTYllWR3JkRjVRS3llUEVDbUd4aVRXNUQxYmF3bDNfa09jOW03aGdoWFNzMWJlMWclMjElMjE=/filename/A%20%20cubaguestQA%20(13%20Feb%2017).pdf

That link is the information that Carnival provided to us in regards to travel to Cuba.

It may help

I did read this and that is what I'm referring to about the 12 categories of travel authorizations. There is no "tourist" category so what do you do?

Cuba is on my bucket list. But not for a few years.

Question. I know some book cruises and stay on the ship throughout the cruise. My elderly father did that the last few time he cruised, and my elderly inlaws will probably do the same thing if they cruise with us this fall.

For those who had their itinerary changed to Cuba. Do they have to disembark the boat and participate in one of these person-to-person tours? Or do they have to cancel and rebook another cruise.?