Tour question

MerriWthr

Has anyone ever hired a cab for the day and just toured the island on their own? My daughter has a short list of things she'd like to see & would rather do this on our own then with a group. Anyone do this? Would you not recommend this? Why?

Thanks -

M.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone ever hired a cab for the day and just toured the island on their own? My daughter has a short list of things she'd like to see & would rather do this on our own then with a group. Anyone do this? Would you not recommend this? Why?

Thanks -

M.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done this a few times on St Kitts. It is very easy to do, just have a list of what you want to do. When you get off the ship the taxis there are very organized and when you tell them what you want to do, they will find a taxi that will take you to do it. What we have done is decided where we want to go, found a taxi, then asked him to get a few more people who want to do the same and that makes the fare a bit cheaper. When the driver finds out my husband is a photographer he makes stops at things he sees for pictures, both times they did this, it was a nice bonus to the taxi tour.

You can also do it ahead of time if you would be more comfortable knowing it's set up when you arrive. We, too, wanted just our family on the tour.

We found a cab service via these boards and e-mailed them with a list of what we wanted to do. They gave us a price and we confirmed that it was what we desired. Then we met them in front of a store near where we got off the ship.

(They had a sign designating who they were.)

It was nice to know exactly what the cost was ahead of time, and it also allowed us to make some alterations to the original plan whenever we learned about other places to go on the island. (We made changes a couple of times via e-mail and it worked out well. )

You can also do it ahead of time if you would be more comfortable knowing it's set up when you arrive. We, too, wanted just our family on the tour.

We found a cab service via these boards and e-mailed them with a list of what we wanted to do. They gave us a price and we confirmed that it was what we desired. Then we met them in front of a store near where we got off the ship.

(They had a sign designating who they were.)

It was nice to know exactly what the cost was ahead of time, and it also allowed us to make some alterations to the original plan whenever we learned about other places to go on the island. (We made changes a couple of times via e-mail and it worked out well. )

This is exactly what I would like to do, do you have the email address and name of the taxi company that you used???? Thank you! AND how much did it cost you pp??

We used Rose and Jim's taxi.

Here's their e-mail: info@roseandjimstaxi.com

Our cost may not match what your trip would be since it

depends on what you want to do, how long it will take, and

if there are entrance fees involved, such as at the Brimstone Hill

Fortress. We asked that all fees be included upfront so we'd

know exactly what it cost. I can tell you, it was very reasonable

and we had a full day of touring. (Definitely less than the cruise

ship was charging!)

If there are specific things you'd like to do or would like to skip,

just mention it and they will work with you to make the day a

great one. For example, our daughter loves photography

and Rose would stop for great photo ops while we were touring the

island. My husband is ex-military so we wanted a bit longer at Brimstone

and they had no problem with the change.

Just to let you know, we're a pretty laid back family and we found this tour

to fit our style of travel quite well. There are reviews about Rose and Jim's

by other members on these boards if you'd like to do a search....that's how

we found them.

Hope that helps!