Thinking of doing Chankanaab...

boobear1

Can anyone tell me what all is included in the price of the entry fee? I know you have to pay extra for the obvious things like the dolphin encounter, etc. What is the price of snorkeling and is the snorkeling any good? What else is there to do there that is included in the price? We always do Paradise Beach but thinking of trying something different this time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone tell me what all is included in the price of the entry fee? I know you have to pay extra for the obvious things like the dolphin encounter, etc. What is the price of snorkeling and is the snorkeling any good? What else is there to do there that is included in the price? We always do Paradise Beach but thinking of trying something different this time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

on Chankanaab website is the list of activities and places included in the entrance fee

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

Edited by Kletina
yes

Chankanaab is a beautiful place and it's a National park as well. The entry price of $21 for adults (and don't forget to print off a coupon good for $2 off everyone in your party online) gets you entrance, free sea line show, use of beach, snorkeling is free (you just have to rent the snorkel equipment if you don't have your own) and the snorkel vest is free IF you rent it AT the vest rental only (if you rent it at the snorkel shack, they charge). They also have a self guided tour in the lush wooded type area that has replica ruins and statues. Since I have went they have added some type of alligator exhibit with a bridge to walk over them??? and also a zip line I believe from what I had read by others on here. Don't forget there's a wonderful lagoon area with iguanas walking around too. Oh, they also have a pool over by the dolphin area and free locker rental.

I have 2 reviews with tons of pictures in them if you are interested in reading/seeing the place. It's located in my signature link. The snorkeling was amazing there each time I have been. :)

We've visited Chankanaab back in 2005 and went back this year. It has changed a lot, from a natural park to an "adventure park". Full of dolphin activities, zip lines, etc...we enjoyed it more in the past, it was tranquil, great snorkeling, etc. Now it just looks like another entertainment park.

We have visited twice.

Did the dolphin push and pull both times.

Walked thru the replica of a myan village.

Swam at the beach, and had Mexican food at their restuarant.

Hot hot hot, no kidding, your in Mexico.

Only made it one hour at the beach.

Loved the place but it was time to find something different.

The only thing over priced are the pictures.

But, as parents we broke down and bought one.

Enjoy we did twice.

Sea Ya

We are trying to figure this out too. Can you just go and pay yourself for the dolphins or manatees? Or do you have to book through somewhere. Just trying to figure out just how much of a jacked up price through the cruise ship it is! The park's website is not very informative at all!!

Definitely book on your own, it is a short taxi ride and I believe it costs $11 each way. There are plenty of taxis available both coming and going. You can book ahead of time directly through Dolphin Discovery and they usually have some type of special. If you don't want to pre-book take the $2 off coupon with you. It is so easy to do Chankanaab on your own and you can do things at your own pace.

Just FYI about the dolphin swim. We looked into doing it here a few years ago and found out that if you are on certain cruise lines (Carnival being one of them, the one we were on). You can't book the dolphin swim outside of a cruise ship tour. They have exclusive contracts with these companies. When you attempt to book they will ask what line you are on. Either make sure that your line isn't on their list or else be prepared to lie (and make sure the ship you are saying you're on is in port that day!!)

Just FYI about the dolphin swim. We looked into doing it here a few years ago and found out that if you are on certain cruise lines (Carnival being one of them, the one we were on). You can't book the dolphin swim outside of a cruise ship tour. They have exclusive contracts with these companies. When you attempt to book they will ask what line you are on. Either make sure that your line isn't on their list or else be prepared to lie (and make sure the ship you are saying you're on is in port that day!!)

As far as I know...Carnival is the only cruise line that does this, and they do it at several places in the Caribbean. The only way to get around it is to say you are coming by another cruise ship or staying there (as suggested).

Also...if we decide just to take a taxi ourselves and pay at the gate...do I pay cash? Cc? We haven't been here before and will be back in April so this may just be a scouting trip! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a rule of thumb, I personally ALWAYS pay cash for anything when on a cruise in port. I have heard multiple horror stories about people using their cc and getting ripped off (coming home to find multiple huge purchase charges applied to the cc number). Yikes! :eek: Another rule of thumb is to always take small dollars as well because you will find that everyone you give money to "never" has change for some reason :rolleyes: (or course their way of getting more $$ out of you).

You will need to pay your taxi in cash, but I had no problems at all paying Chankanaab with a credit card. My credit card covers any fraudulent purchases, so I have never been liable the time that has happened. But when it has happened- it has always been in the US, not out of country. Your card is just as likely to be stolen at the starbucks on the street corner in your hometown as it is at Chankanaab.

I make sure to find a card that has no international transaction fee, or a very low one. The exchange rate on the card is generally better than what the place in Mexico offers if paying in dollars (though Chankanaab will use a current exchange rate and not the 10:1 taxis and street vendors use.)

I agree - take small bills, 5s and 1s. Also, make sure they aren't too wrinkled and not torn- some places won't accept worn out bills; it isn't their currency, so they don't have to.

Edited by skittl1321

How much did the snorkerling cost there? Dolphin interaction?

To snorkel there is free. You only have to rent your snorkeling equipment if you don't own your own.

There are different packages that you can purchase for the dolphins (and other things like the manatees). So each is a different price. You can go to their website (google dolphin discovery) to see which you would be interested in and the price. Also, they run a lot of specials where you can buy 1 and get one either free or $1.00. You just have to watch out for them. :)

Thank you! Do you know how much it is to rent the Equipment? Also is there a site to tell you how many cruise ships are expected in the port?

I'm sorry I do not know what they charge since we have our own equipment. I can tell you though, do NOT rent the snorkel vest AT the place you rent the snorkeling equipment. Back up and go to the little hut that you come to right before you get to the snorkeling rental hut (all they do is rent snorkel vest there) and you can rent the vest for free. You just leave an ID or something with them and they return it when you bring them back. :)

There are several sites to check the cruise ships:

http://ports.cruisett.com/

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

There are probably more too and others can chime in with that info and snorkeling rental info I'm sure. :)

Ok, figured we are definitely doing Chankanaab, and have priced it doing it on our own v. thru the cruiseline. Since we will only be going there, and snorkeling, the price ends up being only about $10 difference since we would have to rent snorkel equipment on our own. Because my husband is still leery of doing things on his own, will probably book through Carnival. The excursion info says flexible return times, anyone done this and found this to be true? The excursion info says three hours, which I am certain won't be enough time for me! :) Three hours in paradise can not possibly be enough!

<snip> Because my husband is still leery of doing things on his own, will probably book through Carnival. The excursion info says flexible return times, anyone done this and found this to be true? <snip>

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question. Fortunately, I can solve your problem.

This is a perfect place to help your husband overcome his reluctance. It's about the easiest port and excursion to do on your own anywhere; A great place to get your feet wet on the subject of independent booking. There are independent tours we've taken that I would only recommend to certain people who have a particular risk outlook, but this is one anyone can do.

The risk of missing the boat is almost nil unless you fall asleep as you're 10 minutes from the port and there are a line of taxis waiting to bring folks back when you're ready to leave.

If you take the cruise excursion you'll likely stand around by the sign holder for 20-45 minutes before heading out. I'm not sure how they do return times, but if it's anything other than a chit for a taxi you'll have extra time waiting around on the back-end as well. The $10 savings wouldn't be enough to sway me on its own but it's a bonus in this case.

I've actually booked both the dolphin swim and and the manatee encounter on my own. I booked it online and was never asked what cruise line I was with. They do have amazing special deals that are only valid with a particular cruise line which I was disappointed about! We are doing the manatee encounter in just a few weeks!

I'm not sure how to attach pics but tried to add an attachment but tried to attach a screenshot of booking page. It clearly asks if you are staying in a hotel or coming on a cruise ship. And it is now not allowing you to book at all if coming in on a cruise ship. Don't know if you can leave the hotel name blank or not.

image.jpg.60da3e5352f9b96c0cfb07b1eb158d76.jpg