Can you disembark earlier than spouse?

YadaYadaJodi

Haven't seen this question before. Do you have to disembark at the same time as your spouse/cabinmate?

Here's the scenario - a couple we are traveling with on the Navigator of the Seas have Season Tickets to the Houston Texans. The day we get back is a Home game at 12:00. Can the DH just walk off with no luggage with the self-assist people and go on to the stadium? He would like to get there early for tailgating. We wondered if he could do that and then my DH, me and his wife could disembark as usual with checked luggage and we could give her a ride home so her DH could attend tailgate and game.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Are they going to be suspicious if he doesn't have any luggage because his wife is going to handle it all? Surely a ticket to the game would explain things. If he can get off early, what's the earliest with no luggage?

Thanks for your thoughts!

They'll each have to have a customs form. Normally one per family is all that is required, but if they get off separately they'll each have to have one to go through customs. Just make sure to fill it out properly since if they have anything to declare, this could be an issue. Not sure how that works, but you can't go through the customs' line without one.

I think this would be a really bad idea.

You don't want to do ANYTHING to complicate the customs process. Galveston customs has enough delays already. What if their see from your records that there are two of you, but they only see one? Not sure what will happen, maybe nothing. Maybe major delays.

All that aside. The husband stepping off the ship with no luggage leaving that hassle to his wife and the other couple is what I'd call a major imposition. What if your luggage is lost and you can't tell them what's in it, because you didn't pack it? At the very least, he should leave the ship with his own bag. Isn't he worried at all about his wife?

If he does decide to leave his wife in the learch, it would serve him right to miss the game due to a fog delay. We've been delayed due to fog and got off the ship at 3 PM.

Edited by knittinggirl

Haven't seen this question before. Do you have to disembark at the same time as your spouse/cabinmate?

Here's the scenario - a couple we are traveling with on the Navigator of the Seas have Season Tickets to the Houston Texans. The day we get back is a Home game at 12:00. Can the DH just walk off with no luggage with the self-assist people and go on to the stadium? He would like to get there early for tailgating. We wondered if he could do that and then my DH, me and his wife could disembark as usual with checked luggage and we could give her a ride home so her DH could attend tailgate and game.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Are they going to be suspicious if he doesn't have any luggage because his wife is going to handle it all? Surely a ticket to the game would explain things. If he can get off early, what's the earliest with no luggage?

Thanks for your thoughts!

As far as RCCL is concerned the answer is yes as husband and wife each have their own SeaPass card that has to be submitted to the ship's security.

With regards to US Customs it not a good idea. First they both have to complete separate Customs Declarations forms and cannot file one as a married couple. If the DH declares items on his declaration those items must be in his procession at the time he goes through customs. These days US Customs generally doesn't look favorable towards a passenger that began the cruise with luggage and than walks off on disembarkation day with no luggage. So there is a real chance that the DH may be detained for questioning and or even detained until the DW appears with the luggage.

Is a football tail gate party really worth a potential issue with US Customs ?

Edited by xxoocruiser

If there's really any worry about him simply not having luggage with him, there's no reason why he can't just carry one of their bags. Pick the smallest one and off you go. Who's to say that wasn't the only one that was his. And if knowing what in the bag is a question, heck, my husband hasn't a clue ever what's in our bags, I do all the packing coming and going. What's the difference.

I'm not understanding why anyone thinks this is a problem. I'm married but my husband and I have different last names. We both fill out a form, no issue. As far as going through the customs lines, we often split up and make a game of who chose the faster line, so we are not together most of the time.

Even if we are right next to each other, customs has never asked if we were together, let alone if we are married to each other.

Thank you for your thoughts. Good one on the custom form - if they were to purchase more than 1 person's worth of duty-free definitely will have the husband take his share with him to claim.

I couldn't see how it would be an issue. Of course he could always take a carry-on case with him to avoid it looking weird that he didn't have any luggage at all.

All that aside. The husband stepping off the ship with no luggage leaving that hassle to his wife and the other couple is what I'd call a major imposition. What if your luggage is lost and you can't tell them what's in it, because you didn't pack it? At the very least, he should leave the ship with his own bag. Isn't he worried at all about his wife?

If he does decide to leave his wife in the learch, it would serve him right to miss the game due to a fog delay. We've been delayed due to fog and got off the ship at 3 PM.

ROFLMAO - Really?!! This is too funny. An imposition - it was my idea (the wife of the other couple). I'm sure his wife would be able to handle if the luggage gets lost - she is his wife after all. Doesn't happen as often just getting off a ship vs. flying.

Why would he be worried about his wife? She is going to be with friends. I've even thought my DH could maybe go with him and just us 2 wives handle everything.:rolleyes: After all, I go on cruises with my DD and we somehow manage without my DH.

He won't be leaving his wife in a lurch IMHO and in his DW's HO. I assume your DH knows that what your opinion is and won't ever try this even if someone else suggests it. We will have porters taking care of all the luggage. We do a park & shuttle so we will be dropped near our car. It's not like we'll be hauling our luggage through a parking lot.

Fog - I don't think that will be a problem in October. But can't do anything about it if it is.

Again - this was my idea not the owner of the Season Tickets.

Edited by YadaYadaJodi

I don't see a problem, but, why can't everyone just leave early, him in one car and y'all in the other. That way, if there are any issues, everyone is there to resolve it, ie, credit card is rejected, etc. :confused:

Because I don't want to leave early and have to do self-disembark. I'd rather take my time and leave the luggage to porters. And I'm in no hurry to end my cruise vacation either. :p

Edited by YadaYadaJodi

If there's really any worry about him simply not having luggage with him, there's no reason why he can't just carry one of their bags. Pick the smallest one and off you go. Who's to say that wasn't the only one that was his. And if knowing what in the bag is a question, heck, my husband hasn't a clue ever what's in our bags, I do all the packing coming and going. What's the difference.

Good thought - may be worth taking a carry-on with him just to avoid any delays with having to go through the explanation. Just will make sure there isn't anything in it that would be a problem if it is a warm day and it will be sitting in the trunk of his car all day.

Thank you!

Trying to figure out why the husband should be *worried* about his wife dealing with luggage. Is luggage that hard?

I traveled to Ireland at 25 by myself, in the heady traveling days of the mid-90s. I brought the max Aer Lingus would allow, I had a ridiculous number of checked bags... I wasn't worried about it.

If my husband ever gets worried about me dealing with luggage, I'll start to be worried about him!

Shouldn't be a problem, no one will care if he has luggage, many people get off the ship without luggage, they use the luggage valet program.

Exactly.

I'm not understanding why anyone thinks this is a problem. I'm married but my husband and I have different last names. We both fill out a form, no issue.

FWIW you don't have to both fill out a form. You're one family. We have 3 last names in our family (mine, his, and mine-his), we fill out one form, never a problem at all.

I think this would be a really bad idea.

You don't want to do ANYTHING to complicate the customs process. Galveston customs has enough delays already. What if their see from your records that there are two of you, but they only see one? Not sure what will happen, maybe nothing. Maybe major delays.

Really?