Advice on an excursion while in Cozumel on our cruise

tusconcam

Hi there. I'm on a Royal Caribbean cruise late April that stops in Cozumel and have booked a Tulum ruins and Beach break that looks like we will cancel due to unfavorable reviews with respect to time spent on the ferry and buses to get there etc.etc.

Anyway; my girlfriend and I are looking for options and the Royal Caribbean sponsored tours don't quite hit the spot. The Chaak Tun Cenote and 5th st Playa Del Carmen shopping tour seems interesting, except for the obvious problem:my girlfriend is claustrophobic in dark and tight spaces.(lol)

I'd like to find something that I can do/see something unique to the area rather than just an attractive beach as our other ports are beach themed. I have read a tremendous amount of positive reviews for Nachi Coccum and Mr Sanchos AI beach clubs and one of these would do as a fallback, but does anyone have any suggestions for something in PDC or close or in Cozumel that isn't snorkel/scuba related (as per above description too)?

I know tastes are different, but Royal Caribbean options (and perhaps non RCI sponsored would be okay too). Input would be appreciated.

My girlfriend would like to see Playa Del Carmen and window shop 5th Ave/St. but it sounds like a very touristy area with pushy salespeople; am I correct? What does anyone know about this area?

Advice and your experiences greatly appreciated.

Hi! We just returned from a stay in Playa Del Carmen last week, we've been there 5 times since March of last year because we're building a home just to the north of town.

Yes 5th Ave is touristy and there are barkers just like in St Thomas and MoBay. They are less a bother than in MoBay but a little more a bother than in STT. Having said that, the north end of 5th Ave is being developed as we write and is a very nice area to shop with fewer barkers. Great restaurants and a new mall and plaza with very nice stores. You can walk

There are operators who offer tour packages that include the ruins of Tulum followed by a stop at Xcaret, for example. Really depends on your time in port but that's a good one. Figure 30 min ferry each way and 30 min taxi each way for Tulum so it does take a lot of your time.

If the extended travel time doesn't appeal to you perhaps a shorter tour to a cenote closer to PDC and then shopping. I know there are several operators out of PDC who can offer excursions that are not as distant as the ruins and water-themed parks.

You'd have to walk or taxi about 10 small blocks to the north from Av Benito Juarez to Ave Constituyentes to get to the newer section of 5th Ave.

[EDIT] - This map is handy for restaurants and bars along 5th Ave -

http://intheroo.com/map

Edited by blue_water
add map