Why Tahiti in Rainy season

Minoushka

After doing some research i found most cruise line go to Tahiti in rainy season ....duh why ...why not have cruises in summer ...dry season

The only one year around is Gauguin ?Oceania says europe in summer

Why only rainy season ...makes little sense to me ...anybody ?of course realizing this after booking ...duh

After doing some research i found most cruise line go to Tahiti in rainy season ....duh why ...why not have cruises in summer ...dry season

Why only rainy season ...makes little sense to me ...anybody ?of course realizing this after booking ...duh

Have been there twice, once in January and last in July. The weather was perfect both times.

They do have cruises in summer--the Paul Gauguin cruises year-round.

But lines like Oceania and Regent tend to go there in *our* winter, because I guess that's when folks are attracted most to the destination.

And my experiences are similar to Merriem's--not much difference. More humid and a bit hotter in their "summer", perhaps more daily tropical showers (usually brief.) But beautiful, always.

I pray we luck out too .....to the upstairs weather maker ...please rain at night sun during the day ...thank you

All i want is ...snorkeling in beautiful waters ...my first trip....my dream destination

My first Oceania cruise ...ahhhhhhhhh

Hope we do as well weather wise

Now if tour operators could write back .mmmmmmmm....i guess they are on Island time ...manana .....

I pray we luck out too .....to the upstairs weather maker ...please rain at night sun during the day ...thank you

All i want is ...snorkeling in beautiful waters ...my first trip....my dream destination

Now if tour operators could write back .mmmmmmmm....i guess they are on Island time ...manana .....

First it the snowbird season to warm places and second the ships are repositioning for Alaska, the Med and Carribe. from Australia in November.

Makes sense to offer lots of short cruises mid voyage to pack in passengers

It will be wet and humid.... always is .. Try the April Tahiti to Lima on the Marina for great wether

Now as to snorkeling.... I am sure you will have fun...but is the water is mirky as it is often in Jan-feb , you can always visit Kona Hawaii and Captain Cook bay. Since Kona and Tahiti are about the same positions north and south of the equator on the same longitude they have the same coral, clear water, and fish. In fact having snorkeled Hawaii for 10 years and Tahiti as well you will find way more fish in Hawaii.... the colorful ones

. In Tahiti more of the big ones like sharks... In truth Hawaii, Kona region is far better than anything in Tahiti or Rangaroa...

but if you go in March..you are closer to the shoulder season. The weather in Tahiti is the same all year, but the rains...the monsoon season is when most of the ships are there. Like I said, closer to March is better. Nothing can take away from the beauty and the mountains and like someone said, you get wet anyway. However, if it is a true monsoon, you have a problem to be sure. Most of us who love it there go on Gaugain and pick the right time of year.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you asked why they are not there in the dry season--here's the answer. It's purely a financial decision. The dry season in Tahiti corresponds with the peak travel season for Alaska, a more profitable route that uses ships of the same size.

Princess, for one, uses the same ship for their Tahiti and Alaska itineraries (Pacific Princess). Since far more people can afford to take an Alaska cruise in summer--they pack the ship more easily on Alaska sailings than on the Tahiti sailings. Tahiti sailings are typically harder to fill, mainly because flights to Tahiti are expensive. Plus, limiting the number of tahiti sailings makes it easier for them to fill the sailings that they do offer.

It makes more financial sense for the cruise line to re-route the ship to Alaska during the summer.

Was just there in February and the weather was perfect all 14 days. The water was beautiful and the snorkeling was great. Don't worry, you will have the time of your life.

Enjoy Oceania.

18 days last Feb. and weather perfect. Go and have a good time. We did. :):)

I agree that Hawaii, big Island, has the best snorkeling. I live in Kohala resort area and this is where the snorkeling and dry climate is, not Kona. I also have been to Tahiti in January and June. There is a fractional difference but really in the tropic zone it can rain any given day. The rains of the tropics are not like the cyclonic storms of the mainland and Europe. It does not get cold, it does not blow you around and break your umbrella, you do not need to go inside and hide. It is just warm rain, you can swim or walk around in it. And, more likely than not, it will only rain for an hour or so and then the sun will come out, usually giving you a beautiful rainbow for your photo book.

It's summertime Down Under so my thought is that O transitions to there via French Polynesia. NZ and areas in Aussie in their wintertime can be cold and wet...not an optimal time to be cruising. Hence, FP in the rainy season....which is USUALLY or more likely to occur Nov-March....also cyclone season.

Edited by vaitape

Tropical climates like Tahiti are temperate year ago (there isn't different in temperature year ago by maybe a few degrees); however, there is a dry and rainy season. During the rainy season it can rain; but it doesn't rain all the time. Showers come and go. It can rain hard for a half hour and then the sun comes out. Some days no rain at all. It's not enough to spoil your vacation. Most people want to go to the tropics when it's winter in the US to get out of the snow and cold. This is when the demand is the highest and thus the cruise fares are the highest. So it's purely a financial decision by the cruise lines. In the summer months most people want to go to either cooler climates like Alaska or summer in warm Europe. Fewer people want to travel long distances to the tropics in the summer. There just isn't the demand and thus less profitable. Cruise lines go where the profits are. Gauguin cruises fill that niche of people that do want to cruise Tahiti in the summer since supply = demand.

We went in January of this year and had good weather and clear water for snorkeling. The year before, some of the January cruises had a lot of rain so it can be a crap shoot. I would do that time again and the people from colder climates were very happy to be there rain or not. Go and enjoy the cruise.

Hi

Please note Tahiti is in the tropics.

Summer is Dec thru Feb.

Summer is also Rainy season in most tropical areas but also can rain any time.

Nov to Mar are the safest months for cruise companies to sail in South Pacific, Australia, NZ

Maybe that is why all the islands in the South Pacific tropics are so green.

ypu should not even worry about it for such a beautiful area of the world.

Also in regards to early morning arrival. Guess what that occurs in many parts of the world and there are many cases one cannot even check into hotels before 2:00pm after arriving at 5:00 - 6:00am. Just go with the flow.

Hi

Please note Tahiti is in the tropics.

Summer is Dec thru Feb.

Summer is also Rainy season in most tropical areas but also can rain any time.

Nov to Mar are the safest months for cruise companies to sail in South Pacific, Australia, NZ

Maybe that is why all the islands in the South Pacific tropics are so green.

ypu should not even worry about it for such a beautiful area of the world.

Also in regards to early morning arrival. Guess what that occurs in many parts of the world and there are many cases one cannot even check into hotels before 2:00pm after arriving at 5:00 - 6:00am. Just go with the flow.

Very well said. Could not agree more. :):)

This year will be our fourth in a row that we have visited French Polynesia in Jan or early February. The first three years on Paul Gauguin, and this January we have made a change to the Marina.

The possibility of warm rain in Polynesia is infinitely better than winter in the US!

Don't worry about the official 'rainy season.' If it does rain, it's never for long.

Best reason to go in rainy season if you are asthmatic is the clear air. During the dry season the copra fires are everywhere.

The rains are not that bad or that long, but the one thing that worried me was the number of folks in the water during a lightening storm. That storm was the only time we stayed out of the water in our 20 rainy season days.

This year will be our fourth in a row that we have visited French Polynesia in Jan or early February. The first three years on Paul Gauguin, and this January we have made a change to the Marina.

The possibility of warm rain in Polynesia is infinitely better than winter in the US!

Don't worry about the official 'rainy season.' If it does rain, it's never for long.

Just what we found the end of Jan. into Feb. this year. Go and have a great time.:):)