Parasites?

Mary&Jim

Hi everyone,

My DH, four friends and myself just returned from a TA on the Grandeur on Nov. 23rd. My DH has been ill since our return. His dr thinks he "picked up" a parasite (yuk) while cruising. He's on meds and feeling better, but I was curious...has anyone experienced this after cruising? It's a first for us after 13 cruises.

Mary&Jim

Hi everyone,

My DH, four friends and myself just returned from a TA on the Grandeur on Nov. 23rd. My DH has been ill since our return. His dr thinks he "picked up" a parasite (yuk) while cruising. He's on meds and feeling better, but I was curious...has anyone experienced this after cruising? It's a first for us after 13 cruises.

Mary&Jim

What sort of medication did they give him for this parasite?

What sort of medication did they give him for this parasite?

I was thinking the same question. I don't understand how a medical professional can't fully confirm a parasitic diagnosis but yet provide a medication treatment as a possible solution.

I don't understand how a medical professional can't fully confirm a parasitic diagnosis but yet provide a medication treatment as a possible solution.

Yeah... don't you have to provide a stool sample to confirm a parasite? And that means bringing it to a lab from home, probably the next day or two later. Hmm.

I am not sure why the doctor said the ship...maybe the cruise (ports) but not the ship. They have many inspections during a 1 week cruise. Do you have a pet? Frequently the #1 source. Then, water (the ship has VERY clean water), and under cooked fish and meat (did you eat in port?did you drink water or have ice in port?). Not a "nice" topic but this is important and others can profit from it too. Only way to really diagnosis correctly is with stool samples sent to lab and they should be sent within an hour of obtaining...also, a series of 3 provides the best diagnosis. Most parasites can be very effectively treated with meds. Were you given meds? Most intestinal parasites are now treated with Flagyl, Mintezol, Biltricide, or Vermox. If you both ate and drink together I would get myself checked also. I am sorry to hear of your DH issue but he will feel better quickly.

I can report with 100% certainty that there is one very big parasite on board the Grandeur. However I don't think medication will help him!!!:rolleyes:

As far as bugs go the Grandeur has had many problems as of late so anything is possible. However it is more likely that your husband picked up the parasitic bug in port.

Hi everyone,

Mary&Jim

Oh yes sure did, did celebrity in jan and boy did I ever have issues. Was ill for a while, purchased Paragone and bingo.... gone!!!

great stuff and will be taking one a day on our next cruise as a perventative:eek:

Thanks everyone for such quick responses. Yes, he did the sample thing and they gave him two different antibiotics so he's feeling better already.

I think the doctor suspected the trip because my dh had his annual physical just before we left and was feeling fine. Also, I think it was an easy explanation.

We think it's probably something he had a one of the ports. We did visit several restaurants and wine tasting with tapas! We never thought it was the ship. We love the Grandeur, especially with the re-model.

Thaks again,

Mary&Jim

Thanks everyone for such quick responses. Yes, he did the sample thing and they gave him two different antibiotics so he's feeling better already.

I think the doctor suspected the trip because my dh had his annual physical just before we left and was feeling fine. Also, I think it was an easy explanation.

We think it's probably something he had a one of the ports. We did visit several restaurants and wine tasting with tapas! We never thought it was the ship. We love the Grandeur, especially with the re-model.

Thaks again,

Mary&Jim

if the tests were positive for a parasite, which one was it? Doesn't he want to know for the next time he gives his medical history? Or was it really a bacteria, not a parasite?

Thaks again,

Mary&Jim

Hi,

Thank you for the update. When I read your first post about this situation, I got the impression that there was something wrong going on on the ship and that is why your DH got sick.

I am sorry that he got this bug ...... but that can happen anywhere.

I wish him a quick recovery.

My ex and I got "shigella" from an untreaded pineaple a freind had brought home from Costa Rica. We didn't know it but it was smuggled home. Ours endend up being a large tape worn.

Never been so sick in my life. It was almost 3 weeks and won't even describe how sick we were...

We were treated with antiboitics, and sulfer, had a sign on the door from the state that we were quarenteed to our home. Not to leave before given a clean bill of health. And for no one to enter.

Crazy times!

Wash your hands! But sometimes, we don't have a choice.

My ex and I got "shigella" from an untreaded pineaple a freind had brought home from Costa Rica. We didn't know it but it was smuggled home. Ours endend up being a large tape worn.

Never been so sick in my life. It was almost 3 weeks and won't even describe how sick we were...

We were treated with antiboitics, and sulfer, had a sign on the door from the state that we were quarenteed to our home. Not to leave before given a clean bill of health. And for no one to enter.

Crazy times!

that does sound like a miserable experience. Please realize shigellosis is caused by a bacteria from the genus Shigella. Tapeworm is an entirely different disease. In any case, I am glad you are better.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/shigellosis/

Crazy times!

Wow. That's crazy. Sounds like an episode of "Monsters Inside of Me". Moral of the story is, don't smuggle produce in to the country.

To the OP....maybe your husband had norovirus.

Yeah, it was pretty rough! lol I think mods of my meals will be on the ship.I don't even think I'm going eat anywhere that is not most reputable on land. I like the authenticity of small mom and pop shops and the food is fun to try, but I have gotten some sort of stomach thing on all land based vacations.

Hi everyone,

Mary&Jim

Hi, We were on our dream trip the Mariner of the Seas leaving Rome for a 13 day trip. RCL told us that they were delaying the boarding because some people on the trip before us were sick and the ship required extra cleaning. They delayed the boarding from 11 am to 1 pm and we couldn't get into our rooms until 3 pm.

During our trip they told us if we felt sick, our visit to the Ship's Infirmary would be complimentary. Needless to say I became sick and was seen by the ship's nurse and they told me I had a gastrointestinal bug. They gave me imodium, a special diet and quarantined me to my room. Our room steward told us there were other rooms around us that were sick too. When my husband went out one night during my quarantine noticed that RCL had hosed down the hallways outside of our room.

I thought I got better 2 days before we got off the ship. Boy was I sadly mistaken. I am still not better and have been in and out of hospitals since our trip because of this!!!!

I was suppose to go back to school but I now have had to put my life on hold because of this trip.

:(

Hi, We were on our dream trip the Mariner of the Seas leaving Rome for a 13 day trip. RCL told us that they were delaying the boarding because some people on the trip before us were sick and the ship required extra cleaning. They delayed the boarding from 11 am to 1 pm and we couldn't get into our rooms until 3 pm.

During our trip they told us if we felt sick, our visit to the Ship's Infirmary would be complimentary. Needless to say I became sick and was seen by the ship's nurse and they told me I had a gastrointestinal bug. They gave me imodium, a special diet and quarantined me to my room. Our room steward told us there were other rooms around us that were sick too. When my husband went out one night during my quarantine noticed that RCL had hosed down the hallways outside of our room.

I thought I got better 2 days before we got off the ship. Boy was I sadly mistaken. I am still not better and have been in and out of hospitals since our trip because of this!!!!

I was suppose to go back to school but I now have had to put my life on hold because of this trip.

:(

I'm sorry that you've been unwell....but truly..having a "bug" is not the same thing as having a human parasite. :rolleyes: Parasites are really, really rare.

Trichinosis from pork still occurs sometimes in other countries. It is possible to pick up a tapeworm from free range chickens or eggs (in other countries), (or unwashed vegetables) Scabies and head lice and pinworms are pretty contagious, and frequent in the US. Food borne bacteria maybe, but food borne parasites are not common. Respiratory and gastrointestinal viruses on cruise ships are very common.

I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely that you would contract a human parasite in any of the frequent cruise ship ports, and definitely not on the ship.

I'm sorry that you've been unwell....but truly..having a "bug" is not the same thing as having a human parasite. :rolleyes: Parasites are really, really rare.

Trichinosis from pork still occurs sometimes in other countries. It is possible to pick up a tapeworm from free range chickens or eggs (in other countries), (or unwashed vegetables) Scabies and head lice and pinworms are pretty contagious, and frequent in the US. Food borne bacteria maybe, but food borne parasites are not common. Respiratory and gastrointestinal viruses on cruise ships are very common.

I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely that you would contract a human parasite in any of the frequent cruise ship ports, and definitely not on the ship.

I did not get a parasite. The ship gave me a letter saying I got a gastrointestinal illness on our trip. Also I have been in 2 different hospitals in 2 different countries and they told me that this gastrointestinal illness I got on the ship is the cause of all my problems. Both hospitals tested me for every kind of bug, parasite, bactria, disease they could think of all they all come to the same conclusion that it was

this gastrointestinal illness I pick up on our cruise.

I just want people to be aware of this problem on ships. As I said in my post, the cruise line delayed our boarding and there were several people sick on this ship and the previous cruise. They should be taking a very serious look at these outbreaks or any illness or problems guests might have while cruising especially if they have several guests coming down with the samething.

I was perfectly healthly before this trip! Now my life has been changed forever.

Archived