That First Time

We all had a first cruise at some point in our lives. Some of you are very well traveled now. Most of you have paid loads of money to be that well traveled. Why not share your knowledge in a kind way?

It certainly makes newbies wonder if they want to cruise at all. I have started telling people to just cruise first and then visit Cruise Critic after that first experience. You get attacked for asking anything here.

Well, I can see your point. Often, newbies ask a question on the "wrong" page, or a very general question that's been asked many times before. Then, they don't get an answer, but an admonishment. Not exactly welcoming--or helpful! Better to have newbie friends do a search, I think. I use that feature a lot and often find the answer pretty quickly.

On the other hand, there are so many people here on CC that are most generous with advice and solid assistance. It is a great source of information, as long as one remembers that opinions are not facts.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I have posted here for about 15 years and have answered thousands of questions over and over and over and enjoy doing so. Just because one or two people might reply in a style you don't care for, please don't indict all posters on the forums. it is sometimes hard to get the humor someone is attempting or how serious their 'wise crack' without benefit of facial expression, body language, tone of voice and different culture. Some folks in countries other than our own may have a different style than each of us has.

The education and experience of travel is very broadening for those reasons and many more. We also learn to not be quite to thin skinned when we become more 'worldly. :)

Ask away. There is usually someone here happy to answer your question.

My opinion is "fact" for me!

It's true..when we started cruising...there were no websites..no chat rooms...you had to physically look things up in reference books! (Horrors!!!!)

Folks nowadays can do the same...and folks online should know by now to take things with a "grain of salt"....When a question is asked...it is usually answered pretty quickly. If someone ask for an OPINION...man oh man...will they get a zillion!!!

We all had a first cruise at some point in our lives. Some of you are very well traveled now. Most of you have paid loads of money to be that well traveled. Why not share your knowledge in a kind way?

It certainly makes newbies wonder if they want to cruise at all. I have started telling people to just cruise first and then visit Cruise Critic after that first experience. You get attacked for asking anything here.

Gosh, I think most people on Cruise Critic enjoy and are happy to help newbies with their questions. :)

LuLu

Personally I think what the OP talks of is the rarity, not to say it doesn't happen. But really these boards are pretty tame, I'd hate to see how OP would react to some forums I'm involved in.

When you step into a world of usernames some people see it as a right to be as rude as they want.

I'm afraid that is human nature.

I am thankful to this forum (particularly the CCL board) for telling me about secret cabins. Because of their knowledge I was able to enjoy my cruise even more with my lovely cabin for a great price.

When I first came my post was about tipping and I admit I was being playfully antagonistic so in some ways I deserved what I got but I am naturally like that anyway at times and have thick skin because of it. Although I can assure everyone I am actually a softie most of the time and these days I am much more gentle in most threads (with a few exceptions such as smoking and whatnot).

Part of the cruise build up is all the research!

Edited by Velvetwater

I booked our first cruise and then discovered CC. Nothing I found on here put me off cruising in the slightest. Just as in real life, on a forum you will come across cockwombles. It's how you choose to deal with them that makes the difference. I chose to simply ignore them, as I would do on a cruise ship.

We had a wonderful first cruise which ignited my passion for cruise ships. I am eternally grateful that I did not allow a few idiots to ruin that for me.

Although I think there are a few sour apples I do think for the most part people are happy to help. I know I for one am happy to answer as many questions as I know the answers to. I am far from a travel or cruise expert but I do have a passion for travel, and I enjoy answering questions for newbies, even if it's the same question over and over.

I've cruised a dozen times, and with every cruise, I'm a newbie all over again. Each cruise is a new experience, and I haven't gotten so jaded that I look down on new cruisers. We can all learn something new. Don't let the cruise snobs ruin your excitement.

Edited by cruznjan

OP,

I see you aren't exactly a newcomer. Your signature shows you've been on CC since 2006.

I may have been around for awhile, but I am hardly as well traveled as many on these boards. In the time since I joined I have taken 5, yes only 5, cruises with the most recent being about a month ago. In 9 years I cruised less than many of you cruise in a 2 month time span.

I am not a troll, but I am not a frequent cruiser either. Money and time limit my options. :)

Well, I can see your point. Often, newbies ask a question on the "wrong" page, or a very general question that's been asked many times before. Then, they don't get an answer, but an admonishment. Not exactly welcoming--or helpful! On the other hand, there are so many people here on CC that are most generous with advice and solid assistance. It is a great source of information, as long as one remembers that opinions are not facts.

I know what you mean about doing a search, but the way people phrase things and the titles of various posts often have very little to do with what one is trying to find out. Most people are very helpful. The toxic ones are, however, extremely toxic. People can direct new folks to other boards in a kind way, telling them that they might get more specific answers on another board. Folks don't have to be so mean at times. But like someone else said, it takes all kinds of kinds.

CC offers a wonderful feature.

If you don't care to read posts by someone or a number of posters, you can elect to put them on an ignore list. You will not have to see their posts unless one happens to be quoted by someone else.

If you would like directions how to do this, one of us would be happy to help.

(I hope I wrote this kindly. I tried to. :o)

CC offers a wonderful feature.

If you don't care to read posts by someone or a number of posters, you can elect to put them on an ignore list. You will not have to see their posts unless one happens to be quoted by someone else.

If you would like directions how to do this, one of us would be happy to help.

(I hope I wrote this kindly. I tried to. :o)

And of course there is no need to read what you don't like.

And of course there is no need to read what you don't like.

I do not need directions. As many folks post on multiple boards, I have learned enough to know whose posts I want to give attention. Sometimes reading the complaints is amusing.

I will choose to believe that neither of the last two posters were being snarky. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I love cruise critic! I'm a newbie I don't post really, but I read as much as I can.

I am going on my first ever cruise in feb Next year :) I was researching like mad about cruising and kept stumbling on the non forum section of cruise critic, and it was soo helpful, I then saw the forum and joined.

I think coming on cc and reading everything makes everything even more exciting, and I'm so excited now, I still have 8 months to go lol.

I think joining CC before a first cruise is the best idea, the amount of tips I've learnt!!

I think I kinda have a decent idea of no-nos and must dos and think I'll be able to really have a great time while knowing what to expect and not be caught off guard cos i was unaware of things

Edited by Amandah1987

Just as in real life, on a forum you will come across cockwombles. It's how you choose to deal with them that makes the difference. I chose to simply ignore them, as I would do on a cruise ship.

We had a wonderful first cruise which ignited my passion for cruise ships. I am eternally grateful that I did not allow a few idiots to ruin that for me.[/quote

LIKE LIKE LIKE, especially the new and treasured phrase "cockwomble"

Scarlet

IMO you run into people who like to stir the pot on every forum, including this one. I try to ignore those people and post helpful info and I suspect that is what most do. When I receive one of those snarky responses I tell myself they are one of those people determined to not enjoy their life and trying to ruin others days.

IMO you run into people who like to stir the pot on every forum, including this one. I try to ignore those people and post helpful info and I suspect that is what most do. When I receive one of those snarky responses I tell myself they are one of those people determined to not enjoy their life and trying to ruin others days.

So true.

Sometimes the negativity can be difficult to sort through. Our January cruise was our first time on a Carnival ship (chosen for our 4 year old granddaughter's first cruise) and after reading through some of the reviews and comments, I was sure I'd made a mistake and booked us on a garbage scow. :)

It wasn't the best cruise we'd ever been on, but we had a blast! Wait. I lie. Our granddaughter was with us for the first time ... it really was the best cruise we'd ever been on.

I can wade through the snark and complaining (although sometimes I can help but jump in, thereby adding to the problem :( ), to the really good information that so many veterans (of cruising in general) and any particular cruise line (specifically), offer.