Inoculations for Brazil?

Canadian Sunset

There is also a discussion about inoculations and malaria medications on the Roll Call for the Caribbean to Amazon. Canadian Sunset I would also check with a travel clinic.

We are on that same cruise with you. We will be getting yellow fever as well as taking malaria - it's not so much an issue on the ship as the water is alkaline and mosquitoes apparently do not like that.....it is once you are in ports in the Amazon where the concern is. There has been a very large YF outbreak this year.....

That said, it is not at this point required, but rather recommended by CDC. So it is a choice.

We are on that same cruise with you. We will be getting yellow fever as well as taking malaria - it's not so much an issue on the ship as the water is alkaline and mosquitoes apparently do not like that.....it is once you are in ports in the Amazon where the concern is. There has been a very large YF outbreak this year.....

That said, it is not at this point required, but rather recommended by CDC. So it is a choice.

Talk with your medical practitioner before taking the YF shots. You might have a condition or medication that won't allow you to take the YF vaccination.

Great advise....and yes, we both did have that conversation with our respective doctors. They both felt it was a good idea given the widespread outbreak in Brazil.

Bit that is really important advice to all.

We did the yellow fever shots when we went to Iguazu Falls (where Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil meet) and we did it because our next trip was to China and some countries won't let you in if you have been to countries where there have been outbreaks.(and then we never saw a mosquito).

However, as Kamloops says, you should consult your GP--and if you can't take the shots, get an official letter from your physician to prove that the shots are contraindicated. You will need the letter to show officials along the way. If your GP doesn't know what to do, consult a CDC travel clinic. You may have to go to a travel clinic to get the yellow fever shots because you need the paperwork that comes with them to prove to officials that you have had the shots.

Thanks everyone. We did attend a travel clinic yesterday and aren't taking too many drugs at all. Because we are both in our seventies and will be spending a great deal of time on board, it was advised that we didn't need anything but a good quality insect repellant with DEET. We were told to use it in lotion form for better coverage. The YF mosquitoes are daytime biters, while malaria mosquitoes are nightime biters. Since we will be in a/c at night we were told malaria pills weren't necessary. The doctor we saw has been doing this for years, and used info from CDC as well as placing a call to Viking to find out about the ships and itinerary in depth.

The doctor's feeling were that as long as we are careful, use the DEET lotion, and watch what we eat on land, we will be fine.

We will take Ducoral before we leave.

Great information. I think we will look further into an actual travel clinic for second opinions. I would prefer not to take Malaria as it makes me pretty ill.....but we are getting out into the jungle in possibly two ports so I want to make sure - I think YF is the most concerning for me.

Also interesting note about deet lotion.....we took wipes and spray when we were in Africa last year.....thanks for the details of your visit yesterday. It is very helpful.

I would think wipes would do the same job as lotion, whereas spray is dispersed.

We plan to wear long sleeves and long pants if we do jungle tours, and just cover any exposed areas This was the advice of the travel clinic doctor who once lived in Borneo. This same doctor had us take malaria pills in 2011 when we visited Vietnam because we were on a land tour. We had no side effects.

I believe American doctors are far more cautious because of the fear of lawsuits.

Ducoral is for stomach issues caused by eating affected food in certain countries. Again, we took it before visiting Vietnam. It's a precaution on my husband's part because he's been sick in the past, and has a sensitive stomach.

We are also taking Pepto Bismol, Immodium and other stomach products, more for Murphy's Law reasons.

Now to get our Brazilian visa, and we'll be ready.

I found this map. It's helped me make my decision not to bother with the yellow fever shot unless it is required. As everyone has agreed, it's a personal decision at this time. We will both be 70 by December.

https://www.ijet.com/sites/default/files/Yellow%20Fever_2.JPG

Cynthia

The key word being at this time, since Brazil is not currently requiring a YF jabs for entry into the country.

My first aid kit always weighs too much...but good to be prepared!!! I also have a long sleeved hoodie shirt from llbean "bug off" that really seems to work.

I spoke with the travel clinic today in our area. I was informed that the YFV is becoming extremely low on supply in the States because of the Brazil outbreak. Apparently the CDC/FDA are working with Europe to obtain a different vaccine later this year that is not as potent and/or doesn't last as long - whether that wiould be better for over 60 age was not known.

We also discussed the other countries that are on the itinerary and the fact that they are not limiting visitation after Brazil without YFV - at this point in time. As Peregrina suggested, that could change.

We discussed the concern of visiting in urban areas when off the ship, and that is the piece that should be taken into account when making the choice....and that there are recommendations all over the board on this subject - with Brazil right now in particular.

I might recommend going onto TripAdvisor forums in Brazil. There is a lot of dialogue and specific information around the YF outbreak that I found very useful. The more we know, the better we can make a choice for our Individual situations.

We touched on the 'over 60' piece of it (and everyone who are considering the vaccine should speak with their own personal doctor regarding any possible side affects/drug interactions). Our doctors have cleared us - we are planning on getting into the jungle/forest and possibly getting in water - that is part of the allure of the Amazon for us.....and is not for everyone.

So I think it's about doing the due diligence and deciding what works best for each individual. There just is at this point no absolutes one way or the other. I also think that keeping an eye on the outbreak as we get closer - if you are still deciding - makes some sense.

Clear as mud, isn't it!:confused::confused::confused:

We also knew about the YF vaccine shortage, but the vaccine could have been obtained if our doctor felt it was necessary.

As for going in water: there is more than Yellow Fever ro be concerned about...there are bacteria or other things that can burrow through the skin and cause illness. The doctor my husband and I saw suggested that we be very careful in Brazilian water, or stay out completely. We are not concerned about the Caribbean islands since we have both been in the water there with no ill effects.

Thanks CanadianSunset......it sounds like you found a doctor really well versed on Brazil - which is pretty fantastic given we are all going there! Really appreciate your information.....maybe we will skip the water portion!

I was referring to an area outside of Santarem in their forest with waterfall pools and purportedly good swimming water but will do further research....

I ended up purchasing pump spray bottles of a product containing picardin or icardin in Canada. There was not a single place that sold bug spray in lotion form, so we will spread it with a tissue. I chose the product without DEET for two reasons: DEET can melt plastic, and the other product smells more pleasant. I couldn't find the wipes in our area either. Since the CDC recommends both products I chose the one that I liked.

One thing I forgot to mention: I was told that sunscreen should be applied BEFORE the bug spray. Just putting it out there.

Can't wait for December.

Bonnie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Africa was where I was first introduced to the wipes.........most of our camps provided them for us!!! Loved Aftrica one of the few places that I really LONG to return to. It was truly a life experience! We were not on a river cruise but some of those itineraries look wonderful.

Deec...we as well. Not a river cruise either .... not on a cruise at all.....it was THE most amazing experience ever. And we too hope one day to return.,...so yes, the wipes are great and I believe they will work well for the port time in the Amazon...

• 3 months later...
Has anyone found they needed additional shots to travel on Viking Sea to Brazil? We are going this December and it was advised that we won't need Yellow Fever inoculations. Is there anything unusual that we need to get to protect ourselves.

We were scheduled for the Brazil trip in Feb/Mar. We need the Yellow Fever shot,

The serum is extremely scarce in the US. Also if you are 60 or older the clinics will NOT give you the shot.

Therefore we cancelled.

Has anyone found they needed additional shots to travel on Viking Sea to Brazil? We are going this December and it was advised that we won't need Yellow Fever inoculations. Is there anything unusual that we need to get to protect ourselves.

We had Yellow Fever shots in 1997 & 2007. Now that we're over 70, the shots are not recommended.

Check the CDC and Brazilian government websites or call Passport Health and ask the question.