Bamboozled over excursions

twonewtocruise

The more post cruise reviews and guide books I read the more confused I am about what shore excursions to book.

I've decided to use Roberts as they seem to mirror most of the excursions offered by NCL but cheaper. I'm not ruling out hiring a car on one or two of the days but I've always done this on previous holidays and would prefer for someone else to be at the wheel so that I can take in all of the sights whilst travelling.

On the one hand all of the excursions sound good and it would be very easy to melt the plastic and book loads! On the other hand, we do want some rest and relaxation so need to plan some free days.

Does anyone know which, if any, of the ports have any nice beaches, shopping, gardens or trails etc within walking or short ride distance of the terminal?

Has anyone taken any excursion, not necessarily with Roberts, that didn't live up to expectations?

I hope someone can help me get the mist to lift :rolleyes:

Not really an answer to your specific questions, but---

We used Roberts on Maui and Kuaui, and loved both excursions. Since we travel to Oahu yearly, we are very familiar with Roberts and feel that they are a very reputable company. At least we have never had any problem with them. Both excursions were great.

First Hawaiian cruise used cruise line excursions--weren't terribly impressed. Only I really remember was in Hilo and it was for sure one I didn't care for too much.

On our NCL cruise we spent the second day in Maui taking the bus to Lahaina, and it was a great day. Took the shuttle from the ship to the shopping center to catch the Maui busline. Saw lots on that trip over to Lahaina and back.

We have never rented a car on a cruise, because neither of us want to drive.

In Kuaui, there is a beach within walking distance of the ship near a hotel. Beautiful area and a wonderful way to spend the 1/2 second day before the ship sails.

Personally, we have never done anything in Kona, but just gotten off the ship and walked around. Last time were in an old church where someone gave about a 45 minute talk about the history of the church and the area of Kona. Was one of the missionary churches, but can't remember which one. Was an easy walk from where you got off the tender.

Whatever you decide, ENJOY!

We have used Roberts both their land and cruise site for three trips to Hawaii and just cant say enough about them them, they are extremely knowledgeable at the excursions because their drivers have been doing the same one's for years.

We had one excursion (an all day one) and the bus blew two tires, this happened in Honolulu going to north shore and Roberts had a replacement bus there in less than 45 min.

Plus the excursions are easily 40% cheaper than the cruise ship.

The more post cruise reviews and guide books I read the more confused I am about what shore excursions to book.

I've decided to use Roberts as they seem to mirror most of the excursions offered by NCL but cheaper. I'm not ruling out hiring a car on one or two of the days but I've always done this on previous holidays and would prefer for someone else to be at the wheel so that I can take in all of the sights whilst travelling.

On the one hand all of the excursions sound good and it would be very easy to melt the plastic and book loads! On the other hand, we do want some rest and relaxation so need to plan some free days.

Does anyone know which, if any, of the ports have any nice beaches, shopping, gardens or trails etc within walking or short ride distance of the terminal?

Has anyone taken any excursion, not necessarily with Roberts, that didn't live up to expectations?

I hope someone can help me get the mist to lift :rolleyes:

We used Roberts for the luau in Kauai and highly recommend it - they went to the Smith Family Luau

We chose Valley Isle Excursions in Maui for the Road to Hana and really enjoyed it -great guide. We rented a car the 2nd day in Maui - which was relaxing, I thought Maui was easy to drive - we went to West Maui up the coast and then stopped for lunch and walked along the beach on the way back.

I really liked the beaches in West Maui - very calm ocean and big beaches. Water was a little cold.

For Hilo we rented a car and drove to the Volcano Nat'l Park. Kona we decided to take it easy and just wander around the town - did ride the $2.00 trolley.

For Kauai we took a photography tour, loved it even for a novice like me - Kauai photo tours, and the 2nd day since it was a short day we took the Anchor Cove Shuttle and went to the beach nearby at the Marriott - you technically can walk to it.

Booked Roberts for $7.00 from the pier in Honolulu to the airport too

We just got pack from Hawaii on the POA. We did not book any excursions thru the ship or another vender and rented cars in all the ports except Kona. In Hilo we went to VNP and hiked thru lava tubes and in the lava fields at the end of the raod where the lava meets the ocean and went to the Mauna Loa factory. In Kauai, we went touring thru canyons, Fern Grotto, spending time on the beach and visitng waterfalls. In Maui we went to Mt Haleakala, Iao Valley, Sugar fields and museum, snorkled on black sand beaches and went to Old Lahaina Luau. Because we had rental cars, we could come and go when we wanted. The daily rental rate was about $40 per day plus gas. We rented thru Thrifty and there shuttles were always there waiting for us. In Kona they have a trolley that runs thru town that is $2 pp and we took that to the beach to snorkel. We saved HUNDREDS of dollars doing things this way.

Cruz'n Couple - Pokeraddict - Geanealogyfan - realmccoy

Thank you all very much for your comments and ideas for excursions when cruising on POA.

You've helped me to decide that Kona is going to be a free day and have confirmed that Robert's is a good choice for excursions. I'm also reconsidering whether to hire a car on a couple of days.

Could anyone provide info' to my new thread about drinks prices on POA?

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1631111

Archived