Is the shore snorkeling good?

ClerkPatsy

hi i was just there a few weeks ago and have been busy and havent had time to post any reviews but saw your ? and had to reply.

costa maya...get off the boat and get a taxi shuttle to mayual (sp?) fishin village. get dropped off at cats meow and find the waiter HUGO drop your stuff off then go in to the water and maybe 30 feet in waist deep water to the left of you is a broke down old boat dock...when i was there from 1230 in the afternoon the snorkeling was great!!!! and cats meow was perfect. the best chips and salsa too. and the drinks are great too. i went down past cat meow 1st to see what else there was but after what i red about cats meow on the boards i walked right back and never left until i had to go back to the ship. i will say now that costa maya is my new fav port!!! enjoy and pet the cat for me

We did the Uvero Beach Break...not a lot of coral at this particular beach...more grassy areas...but still it was worth it. We saw probably a couple of hundred starfish, many in the three pound range or bigger...you can dive down (about 15 feet) and bring them up...they're still alive but it was fascinating.

There were a lot of fish out near the dolphin pens (they have the dolphin swim here too) and near the pier leading out to the dolphin pens. We didn't ask if there was a reef nearby but I'd venture to say there probably was.....but the grassy areas with starfish made it worth the time.

It was around $35 each which included transfers to and from the beach and they also have an OPEN FREE BAR with unlimited drinks. They have food there too that you can buy and several local vendors. It's about a 30 minute bus ride in an air conditioned motor coach (charter type bus)

Archived