Horseback Riding in Roatan

viva01

If you wanted to do other things in addition to horseback riding, you could hire an all-day tour guide to take you anywhere you want to go. You could save the extra $20 that is charged by the ranch and use it to see more of Roatan.

When we went to Roatan last year, we used Diana and Cinthia's tour company and was taken to wherever we wanted to go for a low rate. Their fee covered all day transportation and we did not have to pay until we arrived back at the dock at the end of the tour. If you want to know more about them, you could email them at blieu@dianaandcinthia.com.

Hello. We just got back Sunday and loved Roatan. We went horseback riding with Barraccas Ranch and my son (13 yrs old) said that that was his favorite thing on the whole cruise. We initially signed up with Barraccas for the cruise ship special which is an extra $20.00 each to have someone pick you up at port, take you to the ranch and then take you to Fosters Beachclub for a drink and swimming and then back to the port. Our driver didn't show up. So, we talked with a local named james who rents mopeds at the port. Very nice guy. He called over a friend that runs a taxi service. The three of us had a private taxi for the day for $50.00. Our driver took usto Barraccas ranch, waited while we rode, took us shopping, took us to the Iguana Farm and back to the port when we were done.

Sharkie is the horse back riding tour guide and I think the owner of the ranch. Very knowledgeable. We had 1 1/2 - 2 hour ride and the horses were very well trained. My horsed was called Trigger and she did like to eat so we got along very well. We walked the beach, walked through the town playing tourist and Sharkie told us all about the area while we went. If we ever get back to Roatan we will try to do that again. It was $35.00 each and we felt it was money well spent.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My daughters and I booked a trail ride at the Barrio Dorcas Ranch last week on the NCL Spirit. It was one of the highlights of the trip! We know how to ride so fgelt comfortable. The horses are well taken care of and gentle, but have some nice energy too. They did a good job of matching each of us up with the right horse. The horses are REALLY special as they are gaited. That means a smoother ride. We own 2 Morgans and they are not nearly as comfortable to ride. And, since we knew somewhat what we were doing we were able to move a little rather than just walk along.

Our guide Shirkie was just super and took good care of us. The ride itself was very interesting. We rode first through the West End Town past the beach bars etc to the beach . Riding along the beach was beautiful, especially as it was near sunset. On the way back it started to rain, then it started to pour. We didn't care as we were having so much fun. I just laughed and laughed as we galloped back through the rain.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys horses, ot if you just want to give it a try. It was an afternoon I will always remember!

• 3 months later...
My daughters and I booked a trail ride at the Barrio Dorcas Ranch last week on the NCL Spirit. It was one of the highlights of the trip! We know how to ride so fgelt comfortable. The horses are well taken care of and gentle, but have some nice energy too. They did a good job of matching each of us up with the right horse. The horses are REALLY special as they are gaited. That means a smoother ride. We own 2 Morgans and they are not nearly as comfortable to ride. And, since we knew somewhat what we were doing we were able to move a little rather than just walk along.

Our guide Shirkie was just super and took good care of us. The ride itself was very interesting. We rode first through the West End Town past the beach bars etc to the beach . Riding along the beach was beautiful, especially as it was near sunset. On the way back it started to rain, then it started to pour. We didn't care as we were having so much fun. I just laughed and laughed as we galloped back through the rain.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys horses, ot if you just want to give it a try. It was an afternoon I will always remember!

...Do you remember how to get in touch with this ranch? I would like to go horseback riding on my October cruise.

...Do you remember how to get in touch with this ranch? I would like to go horseback riding on my October cruise.

Click the El Rancho Barrio Dorcas link in post #2 above. You will see contact info there.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I highly recommend you contact Phillip at www.keifitos.com. He has excellent horses and you get to ride on both the trails and on the beach. He has horses for all experience levels and if you are an experienced rider, the guides have no problem if you hold back to canter. The highlight of my trip was cantering through the water. Both myself and my horse were drenched when it was over, but what a wonderful ride! Phillip will also arrange for transportation for you if you need it. We went to Gumbalimba Park in the morning for the zipline and Phillip had someone pick us up at Gumbalimba, take us to his place for the ride, and then return us to the ship. The riding was $25 per person which was very reasonable and we paid the van driver separately.

Also, I don't know if he does this for everyone but we had corresponded so much by email, that we sort of felt like we knew each other by the time we got there. Phillip instructed his guides to bring us back to his house where he offered us drinks and even cut down some coconuts for us to eat.

If you'd like to see some pictures, click on my link below and you will easily find the horseback riding ones. And, if you decide to book, please tell Phillip that Joyce and the gang from Maryland says hello and we can't wait to come back and visit again!

Archived