Why is an aft cabin so good?

Esilef

I agree with the above. Quiet location, less ship movement, great views, and if you're in an area with a lot of suites you will likely get a more experienced stateroom attendant.

EDIT: ...I'll go ahead and post the pic yet again :) If you can snag 1400 or 1700 on a Freedom Class Ship, this is your morning coffee view...

1400_ahh.jpg

Edited by gcvt

It's not, and it was never a big deal until recently.

The noise from the churn is extremely loud, and sometimes there is soot floating around.

And when the ship was really cruising the noise is really bad to the point where you cannot talk to each other.

It is also a long walk from the nearest elevator.

All you see is where you have been.

For all of the reasons 'heavenlysea' mentions, though I'd call the views mesmerizing...

0021F-Copy640x477.jpg

We never tired of watching the constantly changing wake and loved the quiet location. We never had any soot or noise.

Edited by Kartgv

The noise from the churn is extremely loud, and sometimes there is soot floating around.

And when the ship was really cruising the noise is really bad to the point where you cannot talk to each other.

I am so happy that you don't like them. One less person competing with me for them.:D

Exactly which ship were you on, in an aft cabin, where you found the noise so loud that you could not hold a conversation?

I've been in two aft cabins (Galaxy and EOS). EOS was significantly quieter, to the point where I can't even recall much noise at all.

On Galaxy, the noise and vibration, especially as we left ports, was considerable, though I'm sure I could still have a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That photo of bus sold me on aft cabin 7688. Wondering if we should change to 7388 as when in Sydney harbour we would be able to see the opera house when in port?? Oh decisions.....

Recently I read that aft cabins have been reclassed and named. On one line they are called sunset balcony cabins with an increased price tag but of course the noise & wake will provide you with a zen like experience.

On another ship they are becoming loft rooms with the $$$$ tag.

Aft balconies have nice views and are usually large. They are nice cabins. I have never noticed a soot problem or a real noise problem.

The thing I DO NOT like about any cabin in the back of the ship are the erratic vibrations. The bed sometimes seems to be vibrating, or shaking when trying to sleep.

I now prefer mid ship or slightly forward.

In fact I will select a room in the front before selecting one in the back. The front has a more constant rhythm to the movement rather than an erratic vibration.

The center of the ship is the smoothest ride.

Edited by Richjoxyz

I agree with the above. Quiet location, less ship movement, great views, and if you're in an area with a lot of suites you will likely get a more experienced stateroom attendant.

EDIT: ...I'll go ahead and post the pic yet again :) If you can snag 1400 or 1700 on a Freedom Class Ship, this is your morning

Not to mention that 1400 and 1700 have the interior space of a JS for the price of a D1!

When a corner aft on Radiance was a D2 category..... no noise, no soot, just heaven....

40704_10150244007750352_5237716_n.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! What itinerary is this exactly?

Thanks for sharing

Dawn

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

When a corner aft on Radiance was a D2 category..... no noise, no soot, just heaven....

40704_10150244007750352_5237716_n.jpg

Is that 9256? We have 8168 coming up in less than 3 weeks on the Radiance, it's still a D2. :D

Edited by sr4mjc

I have to agree. If you're into a large balcony it's the way to go. Otherwise it's a LONG walk to get there and the (maybe remote) possibility of soot on your deck. We prefer a balcony near the elevators (hump). To each their own:)

A benefit I haven't seen mentioned yet is lack of foot traffic past your cabin door. We've sailed in an aft a few times (and have one booked for March). We love not hearing people talking in the hall or hearing kids running past our door. Sure...it's a walk but IMHO it's worth it. We have never had soot on our balcony and have never noticed excessive engine noise. We DID make the mistake of booking one once on the deck below a Windjammer that had outside seating (Navigator, maybe?). We heard noise from there and wouldn't book that cabin again.

Edited by rec625

The thing I DO NOT like about any cabin in the back of the ship are the erratic vibrations. The bed sometimes seems to be vibrating, or shaking when trying to sleep.

I forgot about the vibration & shaking.

Especially when maneuvering at docking.

It was crazy....

Aft balconies have nice views and are usually large. They are nice cabins. I have never noticed a soot problem or a real noise problem.

I now prefer mid ship or slightly forward.

In fact I will select a room in the front before selecting one in the back. The front has a more constant rhythm to the movement rather than an erratic vibration.

The center of the ship is the smoothest ride.

I forgot about the vibration & shaking.

Especially when maneuvering at docking.

It was crazy....

Thank you both.

It seems that lately some folks are touting how great the aft cabins are...without these reality points. We know of 5-6 people who tried an aft cabin once and will never book one again for all the reasons you've both shared.

Like you....we also prefer a balcony room just forward of center. Steady, quiet, beautiful view. That's what we feel cruising should be all about.

I could care less about the aft cabins, just like any other cabin anywhere else on the ship. But, the balconies are another story:D

You can have soot, noise, vibration and spray on any particular cruise but not every cruise, your mileage varries

Edited by setsail

Thank you both.

It seems that lately some folks are touting how great the aft cabins are...without these reality points. We know of 5-6 people who tried an aft cabin once and will never book one again for all the reasons you've both shared.

Like you....we also prefer a balcony room just forward of center. Steady, quiet, beautiful view. That's what we feel cruising should be all about.

We disagree !

We have never experienced those problems .

Our experiences are first hand !

And are doing another b2b 29 days shortly in aft.

Know your cabins. All the corners and other aft cabins are different

in nature and extents and pricing.

Don't knock them on unless you have tried it.

Edited by ssb