Guatamela Travel Alert

jimlouisesophie

Two years ago my husband and I spent 2 weeks in Guatemala. At that time the State Department was listing it as an area of concern, there were crime reports in Guatemala city. Now? I would avoid parts of Guatemala city but this is a gorgeous country and it would be a shame to stay on the ship. Take the ship-tour to Antigua. You will love it.

I had read the US State Department's page about Guatemala before we went on our Panama Canal cruise in April. It said pretty much the same thing it's Canadian counterpart said. We still took the ship's "Antigua On Your Own" excursion. And we were VERY glad we did. Antiqua is a beautiful, historic colonial city. It was one of the highlights of the cruise. We felt safe the entire day. The only thing that bothered us were the locals trying to sell us stuff. They can be pretty pushy. But we've experienced the same problem in Mexico and numerous Caribbean islands.

We too were in Guatemala in early May of this year. We took a ship's tour "Antigua on your own" and enjoyed it alot. We never felt unsafe. And yes, the locals can be very pushy when trying to sell their goods but that is how they earn a living! Go and enjoy.

Guatemala is a beautiful but very poor country for most of their citizens. It also has 75 different groups of indigenous peoples, all descendents of the ancient Mayans. and 75 different dialects and many of these folks do not speak Spanish.

Yes ,it does have volcanos that sometimes errupt and earthquakes. I have been on two trips for our church way up into the highlands of Alta Verapas.

The people are very hospitable but shy.

going from a cruise ship to Antiqua, a major tourist site, is probalby the safest road in all of the country. I have no problem going to Antiqua for the day when we are in port in late December.

Yes, the vendors can be pushy, but that is the main source of their income. Selling great textiles, wood carvings, etc. Whenever I go to Central America or Meixco, I try to buy items from these vendors rather than a store. I decide how much money I will spend in the country and find the items until my amount is gone.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what the rest of you are doing when in port, but I think I will stay close to the ship. When going to this link, scroll to the top of it.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=112000#10

While these things have been going on for a long time with basically the same alert, this alert is updated and current.

People do need to be aware of it. Continue to see and enjoy ... just do it through the ship or with a well known independent operator.

~~~~~~

that were safe and fun 10 to 15 years ago are now not. The world is changing. I think about hald the places I visited in past years are now, to me just too high a risk. I am no stranger to risk and danger having spent years in the military and even more years in public safety. Central america and mexico presently are just, today, a powder keg of drugs, political unrest and social issues.. and getting worse

I agree that staying on the ship is in fact getting the max pleasure out of your cruise. Thats the reason I cruise, to be on a ship. Ports are nice but not at all necessary to enjoy the trip.

Heck, I would love a 14 day cruise that spent the whole time at sea !:rolleyes:

I am taking the ship tour to Antiqua in late December. It is a world heritage site and plan to explore the town, markets, and have a nice lunch. I will hire a local gide at the tourist center, where the bus will drop us off.

I just hope the volcano is quite that day. :)

I understand the alerts posted by the US and Canada. I am not in rural areas, border crossings or Guatemala City. Same goes for Mexico.

I cruise because of the ports of call. I love Central America and Mexico. will DIY in the ports of PV and Cabo in Mexico. I am familar with these towns.

But each tourist will do what works for them.

Whether you go on ship tours or stay on the ship, have a wonderful cruise.

KirkNC,

Haven't been to Kansas lately.:D

It is a little disconcerting the first time you are in a country and you see federal police or arm guards at stores or on the street corners.

On a land vacation in Riviera Maya, we had rented a car and ended up on the jungle paved road trying to get back to Tulum. Came to road block with federales . They searched our car. And then pointed the right way to get back to the big highway.

An old man was sitting by the side of the road carving a piece of wood. Before we left he showed us his bag with lots of animal carvings. We bought some and got back before sundown.

It wa an adventure for two aubelas from the US. :)

I spent a week in Guatemala a few years ago. I knew I was not "in Kansas anymore" when there were armed guards at the grocery store :eek:.

That is the way it is in a lot of Countries

They also ride shotgun on the cocoa cola trucks ;) bet they do not do that in Kansas either LOL

LHT28,

Yes, the coca cola truck with guys with guns.:eek:

the first time I ever saw that was in Zihuatengo, MX. I was on our veranda overlooking the street below early in the morning. There was a tienda right next to our building at street level. The truck arrived, they unloaded the soda for the tienda, guy came back with a bag and away they went.

The owner of our villas said that vendors deal only in cash, the truck ends up with lots of cash by the end of their day.

Makes perfect sense to me.:cool:

• 1 month later...
that were safe and fun 10 to 15 years ago are now not. The world is changing. I think about hald the places I visited in past years are now, to me just too high a risk. I am no stranger to risk and danger having spent years in the military and even more years in public safety. Central america and mexico presently are just, today, a powder keg of drugs, political unrest and social issues.. and getting worse

I agree that staying on the ship is in fact getting the max pleasure out of your cruise. Thats the reason I cruise, to be on a ship. Ports are nice but not at all necessary to enjoy the trip.

Heck, I would love a 14 day cruise that spent the whole time at sea !:rolleyes:

Given that there was a bloody thirty year civil war in Guatemala, and that there has only been free speech since 1996, i would have to take exception to your sweeping generalizations that everywhere in central and south america is worse. Security is excellent in Antigua. Police are everywhere, much as they now are in NYC as deterrrents to crime.

My daughter once did a 7 day cruise and did not get off the ship. A much better way to enjoy the amenities than on seas days! In fact we often book port intensive cruises to the Carribbean planning to stay on the ship. Nothing wrong with that idea.

Going back to Tulim Mexico next month. Mexico is bigger than Western Europe. Its not just juarez.

Archived