Using ATM's in Europe, taking out large amounts? How much to bring on plane?

I have a question regarding ATM use in Europe.

What is the best way to get a lot of Euros? I have read on here that using ATM's in Europe seems to get the best rate, even with the the fees.

However, will I be able to take out large amounts? We have 3 tours set up fro Italy with RIL. They require cash, should I get it here in the states or can we get it in Europe?

Also, how many Euros should we bring with us on the plane? We are a family of 5, would 500 be good? 250? we will get more out once we are in Europe but how much should we bring with us?

Thanks!

We were allowed to get 300 Euros from an ATM at a time. We only took 100 with us on the plane (got them at our bank) but there are only DH and myself. When we got to the airport we got 300 and then every couple days we got 300 more. We used our CC too. Most places take it. You do have to let your bank know before you go because they might decline the ATM thinking it's fraud since it's overseas. Plus, if you plan on using a CC, let your CC company know that you will be using your card too.

What is the best way to get a lot of Euros? I have read on here that using ATM's in Europe seems to get the best rate, even with the the fees.

However, will I be able to take out large amounts? We have 3 tours set up fro Italy with RIL. They require cash, should I get it here in the states or can we get it in Europe?

Also, how many Euros should we bring with us on the plane? We are a family of 5, would 500 be good? 250? we will get more out once we are in Europe but how much should we bring with us?

Thanks!

My mom and I were thinking travellers cheques, we actually talked about it yesterday. Have you considered that? I know you can have them cashed at guest relations and Rome in Limo accepts them as well. That way you have access to the $$ without carrying it all around in cash, and god forbid anything happen you can just have them cancelled, or if you don't spend it, you can just cash it in at the bank when you get home?

I had RIL for 3 ports, greek taxi in Athens and than another vendor for two ports in Turkey, and that was for 15 people, which meant bring your own cash.

Between withdrawl limits from the ATM, your bank and daily cash limits I think you are in the range of 200-400 euros. Time is precious and I'd not have to make ATM stop, that being said lots of ATMs around, and when I reallly wanted one Murphy was there, either down or no where to be found :D

For that much cash, I just sucked up the local bank exchange and exchanged 10,000 euros... yes it was a thick stash on the flight :eek:

How much over the private tours, guide, tips, and tours entrance etc. varies. We paid almost all meals and big purchases with CC and only little things like gelato ( many stops ), water and little stuff did we use cash, so YMMV there.

Thanks!

Check with you bank for how much, and the service charge they assess you....

I bank with a few different banks, plus a credit union here in the states.... But transfer all my vacation funds to the credit union for overseas travel, since the assess the smallest fee, plus do not limit the amount of daily withdrawals...

I tend to only bring with me the amount of currency that I had left over from my last trip to a particular area... So will only have a few euros on me, everything else will be withdrawn from an ATM.

We opened an account for travel, and each of us has a card for it. Each card may withdraw the daily maximum. That made it so we could get 500 per person, 1500 a day if we needed that much.

The fees work out the most advantageously if you take out larger amounts, fewer times. There is a break even point at which it will be the same for using your credit card. For the purchases below that amount use cash. For the larger ones charge it.

Do the math before you go so you know exactly where the numbers fall. That way you will not get home to unpleasant surprises.

We do not bother taking currency with us. We hit the BANK atms at the airport and go from there. Non bank machines typically charge higher rates.

We opened an account for travel, and each of us has a card for it. Each card may withdraw the daily maximum. That made it so we could get 500 per person, 1500 a day if we needed that much.

The fees work out the most advantageously if you take out larger amounts, fewer times. There is a break even point at which it will be the same for using your credit card. For the purchases below that amount use cash. For the larger ones charge it.

Do the math before you go so you know exactly where the numbers fall. That way you will not get home to unpleasant surprises.

We do not bother taking currency with us. We hit the BANK atms at the airport and go from there. Non bank machines typically charge higher rates.

Also remember not all credit cards are the same....

Capital One and a few Chase cards do not charge an international transaction fee... So you save between 2-3% by using them

Also remember not all credit cards are the same....

Capital One and a few Chase cards do not charge an international transaction fee... So you save between 2-3% by using them

And make sure you have your cards set to 4 digit pins or they won't be accepted overseas.

And Italy is wonky about what banks/cards they except so if you will be in Italy much you might check with your bank to see if the routing numbers they have work in Italy.

The devil is on the details, huh?

On the cruise if you have Euro travellers cheques they cash them at face value. Their fees to purchase are no worse than the fees for using an ATM and you have all the advantage of the insurance. I would take the tour costs in TCs and cash some cheques each night before a trip, much safer

Hi, hop over to the Italy Forum too:)...there are alot of very

helpful folks over there.

Everyone has their own opinions and suggestions about getting

Euros there, bringing them from home, a bit of both, etc.....

It is my first time going to the MED...I leave next week:D and

for me? I go solo and to be honest, I wanted to take care of it all

before I left....so I did;) No concerns now about limits, find the

ATM, etc.....I got all mine already (and yes, I know it cost me

a bit) but now it is all taken care of and I am happy:)

Just returned from a TA. Waited to buy our euros until we hit a bank ATM in Tenerife. When we got home, I checked the cost of our euros on our credit union website. It turned out to be $1.32 a euro. We had a fee of $3.17 for a purchase of 240 euros. Hope this info helps you make your decision.

We just did this this week! Found best exchange rate in one of our local currency exchanges. We got a lot of euros this way. The bank was much higher rate! Also, ATMs are good but call your local bank and they will tell you what banks they are affiliated with in the countries you are visiting. You may be able to avoid the extra fees banks charge to spit money if you use them. Above all, I gave found exchange rate on ship is dreadful! Certain credit cards like Amex also don't charge excessive fees when used overseas. Check with your credit card company. Lastly. I have found some tour companies take American dollars. Have a wonderful trip!!!!

:DWe got all our euros from a travel agency in fla. before we left for our trip.

We used Rome in Limo for 3 excursions and needed euros so I just figured how much was needed and then got a few hundred on the ship so it was no big deal. We use our Capital One cc for hotels and meals, etc. because they do not charge an exchange fee.

I like to have all the details handled before we go.

Then we usually book one or two excursions with the cruise line and then that of course goes on your cc and you get to pay it when you get home:D:D

Thanks!

Using an ATM in Europe can be very expensive. I used one in Luzerne, Switzerland and was charged $12.00 for one transaction. After that I changed my money here in the U.S. for a very nominal fee. Depending on how long you're staying there and what activities you plan, I would bring at least 750 Euros. You can always change them back to dollars when you return. We travel Europe almost every year and it keeps getting more expensive. Remember that you can always substitute your credit card if necessary and they exchange the funds automatically. However, some stores and establishments don't take credit cards. Not like the good old USA.

My mom and I were thinking travellers cheques, we actually talked about it yesterday. Have you considered that? I know you can have them cashed at guest relations and Rome in Limo accepts them as well. That way you have access to the $$ without carrying it all around in cash, and god forbid anything happen you can just have them cancelled, or if you don't spend it, you can just cash it in at the bank when you get home?

As an additional FYI - a lot of restaurants and retail stores DO NOT accept travellers checks. Too much fraud and they want nothing to do with them.

I didn't see anyone mentioning that most bank machine ( at least the ones I've delt with), in Europe only have numbers on their keypad, no : "2 ABC" , "3 - DEF" etc so if you have remembered your password as a "word" it won't help you when you need to recall what letters go with which numbers....

Our last trip to Europe hubby got one of those refillable VISA cards that we put cash on-we were able to use the bank machines to get Euros out. We did have our credits cards with us-but overall we felt more comfortable using the refillable VISA. If someone got ahold of that card-they could only get the money that we had put on it-so much safer than using our debit card to our bank account-(I had a friend whose was stolen and they cleaned out her account including money for the house payment, utility bills, etc. that would have been taken out a few days later)or the hassle of a credit card being stolen.

I used to travel several time a year on business to europe.and a just got back a few months ago.

1. NO travlers check, many places either wont cash them of charge you a fee !!...And some that do may give you conterfit change !!!

2. carry in the local currency enough for one rt cab fare to the hotel or ship about 70 euros or 50 poinds Remember the commissions on cash and that on returning to the USA, only bank notes will get converted not coin... lots of euro change gets created fast. Use credit cards not debt because of security the debt card goes direct to your account. The dredit card has a 25 day safety built in. ( I got billed$ 4,000 for 3 day rental in Germany, on my credit card and stopped it. were it a debt card then money would be long gone and a fight to try to get it back

3. The ATM's in the airport/ banks are the best rate and safest. Never use one on the street too many crooks. Carry as little cash as possible Use the credit card... they are very widely accepted almost everywhere.

Your credit card is also safer than cash. A 3 week trip I will use less than $250 in cash.. The rest cards.

4. you will need no money on the plane.. they have all comverted to credit card sales on board.

5. Cash gives you nothing in return no points or miles... you are wasting valuable resources with nothing in return.

And make sure you have your cards set to 4 digit pins or they won't be accepted overseas.

And Italy is wonky about what banks/cards they except so if you will be in Italy much you might check with your bank to see if the routing numbers they have work in Italy.

The devil is on the details, huh?

Just had a conversation with Chase regarding the 4 digit pin business. Per Chase, their cards do not have pins since they do not have electronic chips that require them. The Chase cards will work fine in Europe as long as they are scanned like they do in the US. This is what Chase told me, not based on my experience.:)

Your daily withdrawal limit will be set by your bank so I would suggest contacting them and increasing your limit if necessary. We have BofA and you can increase you limit online once you login. We just did this and it's worked out fine.

Unfortunately we mostly have to use cash since all our excursions require payment at the end in Euros as well as our apartment in Rome.

Using an ATM in Europe can be very expensive. I used one in Luzerne, Switzerland and was charged $12.00 for one transaction. After that I changed my money here in the U.S. for a very nominal fee. Depending on how long you're staying there and what activities you plan, I would bring at least 750 Euros. You can always change them back to dollars when you return. We travel Europe almost every year and it keeps getting more expensive. Remember that you can always substitute your credit card if necessary and they exchange the funds automatically. However, some stores and establishments don't take credit cards. Not like the good old USA.

Some banks (Capital One is one) not only do not charge ATM fees but also reimburse ATM fees charged by other banks. Thus if you withdraw from a bank ATM in Europe, there are no fees.

Archived