Hong kong kai tak cruise terminal

celebrity888

Dear Forum Members

My OH and I are due to join the QM2 in Hong Kong next month. I have looked at most of the travel guides for details as to how to get to this new cruise terminal and have deduced that it is less of a hassle if we just get into a taxi when we get out of the airport.

However, just in case things have changed as the travel guides were published over a year ago, has anyone used the Kai Tak cruise terminal within the last 6 months? Is there a shuttle bus from the airport direct to the cruise terminal apart from the pick-ups organised by the cruise ships?

Also, we are in port overnight, are there any shuttle buses from the cruise terminal to the nearest MTR station. The port seems to be in a rather remote area, how does one get from port back into town? Any first hand info at all would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

What time does the ship arrive? I was on Mariner of the Seas last year and it arrived at about 7pm.There was a mass exodus of passengers and crew trying to get taxis to go to the Night Markets. Taxis were very few. Some of the nearby shopping malls put on buses but by the time we got there, the shops were closed. There was a shuttle to the MTR but only 1 coming back to the ship. Nothing organised by Royal Caribbean so it was a bit of a wasted evening.

If your ship arrives during the day, I would expect better arrangements would be in place. Perhaps Cunard will have a shuttle?

We are on the same cruise as Celebrity888. We are boarding in HK on day 1. The ship arrives in the morning, the departing guests leave and we have been given a time of 14.30 to board so presumably the rush for taxis from Kai Tak will have abated. We stay on board the ship overnight so not everyone will be going ashore at the same time that evening. The only catch is that it's Chinese New Year so whether there will many available taxis is another matter and I know some attractions will be closed.

We are staying in Kowloon prior to the cruise and will just get a taxi from the hotel to Kai Tak (hopefully). You can get the MRT from the airport to Kowloon and then try a taxi from there or just get a taxi the whole way, they aren't expensive (by our standards).

Come over and join the roll call - Hong Kong to Sydney - perhaps someone there can give some specific advice!

Depending on budget and preference you can take the Airport Express train to Kowloon Station then taxi over to Kai Tak Cruise Terminal or more simply, just take a taxi from the airport.

Taxi: $22 HK first 2km then $8HK per km

Airport Express train to Kowloon Station: $90 HK each person

So approximately:

Airport Express then taxi 11km to Kai Tak: $290 HK or $37.50 USD

Taxi 41km from airport to Kai Tak: $335 HKD or $43.25

Probably makes sense to take the taxi. The cheaper way ($150 HKD total) is to take the Airport bus but that would be a big hassle with large bags and you still would need to get a taxi from Kowloon area to Kai Tak cruise terminal.

Airport Express train to Kowloon Station: $90 HK each person

FYI - Airport Express has 'group rates' see: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/promotions_4persons.html

Airport <=> Kowloon 2 pax HK$140; 3 pax HK$190; 4 pax HK$220

.. but you have to ask for a group of 2,3 or 4 when buying tickets or you will get single tickets at HK$90 each

There is a free shuttle from the port to 2 or 3 subway stations. We went to one with a shopping mall, then took the subway into the city to sightsee. We took a taxi from the hotel to the cruise ship so we didn't need to take the subway with our cases.

We took the express train from the airport to Kowloon, no hassle, loads of room for cases. Our hotel was close to the subway station in Kowloon.

Edited by sandy999

For those who are DISEMBARKING in Hong Kong AND flying out later in the day, you can use the In-Town check-in service at either Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express station. You must have an Airport Express ticket to use this service.

For those who are DISEMBARKING in Hong Kong AND flying out later in the day, you can use the In-Town check-in service at either Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express station. You must have an Airport Express ticket to use this service.

You buy your ticket(s) [ don't forget group rates -- see post #7 ]

You then can check your luggage through to your air destination

[you need your tickets to go through the gates to where you check your luggage]

You don't have to take the train to the airport immediately .. you can leave the train station and do some sightseeing and come back later and take the train to the airport :)

You buy your ticket(s) [ don't forget group rates -- see post #7 ]

You then can check your luggage through to your air destination

[you need your tickets to go through the gates to where you check your luggage]

You don't have to take the train to the airport immediately .. you can leave the train station and do some sightseeing and come back later and take the train to the airport :)

Forgot that last part...Thanks!:)

• 1 year later...

I've visited Hong Kong several times but this will be my first time arriving in Hong Kong by cruise ship. We'll be docking and disembarking at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal. Am I right to assume that there are ATMs at the terminal? We will be spending a few days in HK post cruise so will take a taxi from Kai Tak to our hotel and intend to use an ATM to get some HK dollars to pay for it.

We were at Kai Tak in November 2015 on Millennium's Japan and China cruise. However, that is were the cruise ended. Celebrity had a shuttle to the Kowloon MRT, which we took, then after some site seeing took the MRT to the airport.

The MRT is easy to do, roll your luggage on the train. Not expensive. Still, you will need a taxi from Kowloon MRT to Kai Tak. I suspect that you would save doing this, since the airport is a long way from the port. One thing to watch for is that the taxis are small there. Trunk space would be a problem for more than two large suitcases.

One more thing, many taxi drivers don't speak English, so try to have something in writing showing where you want to go.

Edited by 4774Papa
more

This info came from our local HKG expat/extended family connections - established residents - for consideration by cruise pax disembarking at Kai Tak terminal with a "tight" connection to get directly to HKIA (airport) out in Lantau, typically a 45 minutes to 1 hour trip, depending on road & traffic conditions. It is NOT cheap by comparable to what you would expect to pay in the U.S.A. for a luxury limo/airport transfer - advanced reservations of 24 hours or more are requested/required - drivers are supposed to be bilingual in English, so can communicate the basics, etc. Tipping (service charges) and luggage fees are included, so no additional cash tips expected.

http://www.dchml.com.hk/english/services/services_limo.php#a

If you opt for the MPV option - it's a full 7 seater for passengers, it is roomy - less capacity if you have "generous" luggage in the group - thus, good for 5 & maybe 6 adults plus "reasonable" luggage (well, hand/carry-on/smaller items will go on your laps or slide them under your seats/legs for the ride over to the airport). It's a 2-zone trip, your final cost is $660 HKD or about $86 USD (7:74 to 1 conversion approximately) - that's $18 p/p if there's 5 of you or $15 p/p with 6 going together ... folks on your Rollcall might be interested; and, you can compare prices with any available ship transfer prices offered.

They do a fair amount of airport pickup & transfer to hotels - contact them by email and/or telephone if you have overseas dialing (or, use VoIP calling using Skype or Google Hangout's WiFi calling option, if available) to check/confirm availability and reserve it. (And, please - come back post travel and share your actual experience ... it's similar to Uber running in the grey area in HKG but different, as they are fully insured & the higher rates are charged, it is more expensive than a taxi, almost doubled the fares - but, a family of 4 to 5 people coming off a cruise might find this a reasonable alternative - without the stories of long taxi lines waiting & the stresses with missing the flight connections, etc.

For the same prices, you can also ride in a Benz S-class sedan instead ... in style. It's available for hire / charter at $600 HKD per hour.

DCH is a well established & widely recognized automotive group in HK and they in fact, have auto dealerships here in the metro NYC area & are active in some community charity events with sponsorships & employee participation. I have no affiliations, connections or vested interests with this - strictly providing this as F.Y.I for those worried travelers and looking for an extra options.

Good luck & happy cruising safely in Asia.

Here's another resources - additional information about KTCT - cross reference to the official website maintained by HK's tourism board and the cruise terminal operator's online site. http://www.hong-kong-traveller.com/kai-tak-cruise-terminal.html

This is neither an endorsement nor recommendation, provided as is - please, do your own fact-finding research. I will note that, airport transfer from KTCT - based on one of the advertising sponsor's rates on the right side of the page, is about $170 HKD (a little over $20 USD) less than DCH limo quoted prices (above this post) - read & check all the info carefully, including any exclusions, fees, surcharges, tipping or mandatory add-on service charges, etc. (and, tolls) in your price comparison.

Being relatively familiar with local conditions in HK, some of the airport/hotel transfer prices are relatively "expensive" from what I can see, on a per person basis, in USD terms. Within town, if not taking the inexpensive airporter bus routes (limited stops) with light luggage (best with carry-on sizes) - or the AE (Airport Express) trains - the next best door-to-door service would be to get a (red color, most common in the city) taxi.

The emergency number for police is 999 (not 911) and always ask for & take the official taxi receipt, which the driver is required by law to give you - as proof and for filing claims or complaints. And, use that smartphone camera wisely to record the license plate & the posted driver's license info displayed inside the cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our 2 days in HK post cruise. mking gave me heaps of help in planning the time there so I thought I should post an update.

On arrival we elected to get taxis. Our departure info advised there would be a shuttle bus at the cost of $HK50/$US8 per person to kowloon hotels and info was available at the info kiosk at the terminal. We didnt see it easily so went the cab way.

6 of us decided to do our own walk off with luggage. The other 6 put their luggage our the night prior and did the usual attend a certain lounge at a certain time.

We were up and headed to the buffet at 8 for a quick breakfast, back to our room for bathroom visit and collect luggage as we were required to vacate by 8.30am.

Left rooms at 8.30 am bit of an issue finding just how to get off the ship but we were in the taxi queue and into a taxi by 9.15am. Beware there are many queue jumpers on every type of cruise, unbelievably bold about it all too.

We were at our hotel the kowloon metropark at 9.35 cost of $101 HK each taxi (we had 2 taxis) The boots took 3 medium suitcases but lids didnt close they were kept intact by octopus straps. Our hand luggage was fine in the cabin but i wouldnt put any small items in the boot for risk if them falling out somehow.

The 6 who did the regular departure were to meet in the lounge at 8.50 so only a few minutes behind us but were more than an hour later arriving at the hotel.

We met at the hotel, checked in and fortunately 2 of our 6 rooms were ready so we were able to put all the luggage in those rooms for the day. Our 2 days in HK were very tiring but we managed. Only major issue was using the metro. We got onto the train but DH being the polite man he is allowed everyone else to go ahead of him, mistake - the doors shut and off we went with him standing on the platform in amazement. Guess I am glad it was my DH and not any of the other 10 folk I was trying to guide around HK. Lesson 1 - always make sure everyone has hotel card, money and an arrangement for if they got lost ie taxi to hotel. I tried to call him on mobile which wouldnt work but managed to send him a text telling him to get on the next train and to get off at central which was our plan. Success, about 6 mins later he appeared to the rest of our cheering and me dreading the "domestic" that would occur in the privacy of our room later that night. It didnt eventuate and I am thinking he was secretly pretty proud of himself showing he managed to deal with the situation. In our 2 days we visited the Chi Lin Nunnery and gardens in Diamond Hill, well worth a visit and easy to spend a couple of hours. We went to Aberdeen to the traditional fishing village. Used the metro, the public bus, star ferry from HK side to Kowloon, and the hop on hop off bus. Went on the Peak Tram that I would have preferred to skip but most of the group were keen and it was a majority rules type of holiday. The queue to go up was at least 45 mins and more to come down, lots of queue jumpers there too. The view was worth going up but I would love to see it on a clear day if they ever have them. We all enjoyed doing the rickshaw hop on hop off bus, it was only $HK100 for a senior card and they have a promo at the moment that the 1 day card is valid for 2 days, no use to us as we only had the one day to use it. Th opposition the big bus company which is in most cities around the world was far too expensive. We enjoyed a wander around the harbourfront after the star ferry ride.

Planned was also the light show at 8pm and a visit to the ladies market just to say we had been but sadly the energy levels and bus trips took a lot longer than planned.

We all ended up doing our own thing at night and collapsing into bed. For us it was a walk over the road to a supermarket and we ate in our room to relax. I will say that 10 of our 12 were and still are sick from a respiratory virus going thru the ship so we weren't in top form during our time in HK.

Our final day we took taxis again to the aiport, as 2 were staying in another day in HK we took 3 taxis for the 10 going to the airport, we had 8 suitcases so 4 and 2 cases in one taxi and 3 of each in the other 2.

Fare was $HK250 each cab including the fees and we rounded up for a tip. Trip took 25 mins, we left at 10.30am on a weekday (Friday ).

The octopus card was wonderful to use, pity it cant be bought at the terminal. we had to go to mong kok to buy and not easy to get around.

I found HK so much more difficult to get around in regard to language, tourist info almost non existent, very few metro info staff. Very few people spoke english when I asked for help, all very different to my time there in 2007. Perhaps due to the influx of mainland chinese who have moved into HK since returned to Chinese rule, that is one theory I have been given but I really dont know. Most times when I asked politely if someone spoke english i would get a shoulder shrug and they looked away.

This is such a huge contrast to my travels in Japan, I know about 9 or 10 Japanese words and yet never have any problems at all navigating the transport and bus systems. There are always staff at every station entry and exit in Japan to ask and generally I have found they will not only give directions but often take me to where I need to be.

We enjoyed HK but were all looking forward to getting home due to the cunard bugs.

We all struggled with the smog and particularly at the airport it was what we would call "pea soup" smog, we couldn't even see the other planes on the tarmac it was so thick but they still took off almost on time.

Once again thanks to mking for all the help in planning.

Edited by Tara Jane

We've just returned from a cruise of SE Asia departing from Hong Kong.

The easiest and most economical way to take the Airport Express (MRT train) from the Hong Kong Airport to Kowloon station. You then take a taxi directly to the cruise terminal. Make sure to purchase "group" tickets on the MRT, even for two people.

http://hong-kong.ca/transportation/

Being polite doesnt work on the subway. We were in HK last July after a few previous visits. I didn't notice many changes - we usually stay in Mongkok so maybe used to the crazy. But the weather was awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The most polite thing on ANY subway is to enter as quickly as possible and clear the door area so others might board as well. (allowing people to exit first, of course- I love the directions to this effect on the platforms in Shanghai:p)

Just back from our 2 days in HK post cruise.

On arrival we elected to get taxis. Our departure info advised there would be a shuttle bus at the cost of $HK50/$US8 per person to kowloon hotels and info was available at the info kiosk at the terminal.

Left rooms at 8.30 am ... queue and into a taxi by 9.15am. Beware there are many queue jumpers on every type of cruise, unbelievably bold about it all too. We were at our hotel the kowloon metropark at 9.35 cost of $101 HK each taxi (we had 2 taxis) The boots took 3 medium suitcases but lids didnt close they were kept intact by octopus straps. Our hand luggage was fine in the cabin but i wouldnt put any small items in the boot for risk if them falling out somehow.

Only major issue was using the metro ... visited Chi Lin Nunnery and gardens in Diamond Hill, well worth a visit and easy to spend a couple of hours. We went to Aberdeen to the traditional fishing village. Used the metro, the public bus, star ferry from HK side to Kowloon, and the hop on hop off bus.

Went on the Peak Tram that I would have preferred to skip ... The queue to go up was at least 45 mins and more to come down, lots of queue jumpers there too. The view was worth going up but I would love to see it on a clear day if they ever have them. We all enjoyed doing the rickshaw hop on hop off bus, it was only $HK100 for a senior card and they have a promo at the moment that the 1 day card is valid for 2 days, no use to us as we only had the one day to use it.

We enjoyed a wander around the harbourfront after the star ferry ride. Planned was also the light show at 8pm and a visit to the ladies market just to say we had been but sadly the energy levels and bus trips took a lot longer than planned.

We all ended up doing our own thing at night and collapsing into bed. For us it was a walk over the road to a supermarket and we ate in our room to relax ... 10 of our 12 were and still are sick from a respiratory virus going thru the ship so we weren't in top form during our time in HK.

Our final day we took ... 3 taxis for the 10 going to the airport, we had 8 suitcases so 4 and 2 cases in one taxi and 3 of each in the other 2. Fare was $HK250 each cab including ... fees ... rounded up for a tip. Trip took 25 mins, we left at 10.30am on a weekday (Friday ).

The octopus card was wonderful to use, pity it cant be bought at the terminal. we had to go to mong kok to buy and not easy to get around. I found HK so much more difficult to get around in regard to language, tourist info almost non existent, very few metro info staff. Very few people spoke english when I asked for help, all very different to my time there in 2007 ... Most times when I asked politely if someone spoke english i would get a shoulder shrug and they looked away.

We all struggled with the smog and particularly at the airport it was what we would call "pea soup" smog, we couldn't even see the other planes on the tarmac it was so thick but they still took off almost on time ...

Hello, Jane - welcome home ... one of my SIL just came back from Sydney to catch up with school mates from high school, some 30 to 40 years later, amazing - jetlagged but had a great time, just like your cruise & short 2 days in HKG. Just about everything went well - thankfully & I can smile & be happy about it - not giving misleading tips & info for folks half way around the world.

Pretty sure you heard by now, the Cunad lines got hit by the noro-virus bugs while at sea (from Japan / Taiwan, I read) and HK tend to panic about anything & everything these days, back to the SARS days in 2002-3 and flu, especially Avian flu's - supposingly, 150+ pax remained onboard & not permitted to go ashore after local public health boarded the ships for inspection.

HKG's concrete jungle isn't exactly kind to urban smogs and you ran into it - the "Metro" - better known locally as MTR is efficient & reliable, fast & connect everywhere - I'm a bit surprised about the lack of customer service & help from uniformed on-duty personnel at the stations ... I know they do the tri-lingual announcement on the trains & buses - Chinese (in Cantonese & Mandarin plus good old British English ... "mind the closing door") You managed to get around, didn't get lost (hubby missed the train - no, don't count - LOL) and no ripoffs from the taxi drivers - fares charged/paid were good to excellent. Hey, it's a winner in any textbook, especially for the size of your group ... with a fearless leader :D

The Queue jumpers - I bet they are mostly - if not all ethnically-looking mainland Chinese (sorry for stereotyping, they are infamous - everywhere these days ... my apology if anyone is offended, it is what it is) ... my SIL ran into them in Sydney last month too.

With 15,000+ passengers arriving - HK public transport did put together better plans & delivered, more shuttle buses & taxis - no more 3 hour lines to get off the old airport runway. It's good for promoting this port for future cruises. For us - we like to sail down to Vietnam and Singarpore - HKG is still a strategic location for cruises to begin, end and as a key stopover for overnight or 2 nights (with so much to do, see & eat)

Victoria Peak on top is nice when views are clear & hidden in fog / clouds / smog. The queue going up on the Tram & coming down, those long lines & the $ cost of the ticket - plus the jumpers, not worth it. Thus, I will continue to advise others to take the air-conditioned bus to go up, more scenic & actually faster than standing there on Garden Road and/or come down taking the PMB (I'm sure you seen them everywhere with the big Route #'s posted - but, totally clueless as to where they are go or even the fares.)

Haven't been to "old" Aberdeen in 24 or maybe 25 yeras, it's changed a lot & was on the Jumbo floating last time - curious on what's your impression of that town - I known it's all residential skyscraper these days. DH is thinking of going & we might put that on the short list to do.

How's Metropark - besides the groups & clusters of mainlanders ?

Again, your notes are great - posts like this will help others planning ahead to visit - everyone benefiting, so I say, thank you. Get well & recover from the virus and have a nice Sunday !

Edited by mking8288

Yes we heard of the gastro outbreak via the english newspaper delivered to our room on Thursday morning.

Our difficulty at the MTR was due to lack of staff to ask. I would have to head to the customer service desk where we purchased the octopus cards for advise, but there were no uniformed staff around to ask. I expected a few to be around the gates where we walk through with our octopus cards but no one seemed to be around, not sure what happens if someone doesnt have the correct ticket.

I know how DH got left as on the trains we would get into 2 doors of a carriage 6 in each, for some unknown reason all 12 of us headed to the same door, of course taking more time to get into an already crowded train. Loved the way the stations were lit up on the sign above the doors showing the stations. In Australia we have so much to learn about public transport.

I totally agree that your method of getting to and from the peak would have been much better and if I return to HK alone will definately go that way but as I said, majority ruled and the peak tram is a touristy thing, as I was the only one who had been to HK previously other than some doing a stopover in transit never leaving the airport, it was on their bucket list of things to do in HK. Bet they would all next time go by the bus the back route. By the way there doesnt seem to be a back bus route from Aberdeen to the peak which we had planned initially to take. Perhaps there is but no one anywhere could tell me, we asked some lovely young english guys who even looked it up for us on their phones. Everyone told us we had to go back to central.

Aberdeen was really quaint just as I remembered 9 years ago. Yes it has huge high rise buildings all around, but the lovely water and village in the middle making it sort of unique. There was a public toilet block on the promenade that was spotless. There was a lady cleaning after each use, a roll of toilet paper at the entry, toilet seat cleaner in each cubicle and several western style. An interesting thing was the washbasins with soap were at the entry, so if you tried to walk out of the toilets without hand washing not only the lady cleaner but anyone else around would see you!!!! Maybe we need them on the cruise ships to ensure those disgusting people who don't wash after visiting the toilets would be exposed!! For that reason I always return to my room on the ship but when out and about and nature calls, got to just take what you can get.

Metropark was ok, for what we paid we were very happy, ended up HK$1156 for 2 nights and the beds were sooooo soft. My last visit to HK we were at Stanford hillview and the beds were terribly hard. The rooms were big compared to many I have stayed in. The location wasn't great but as we only returned to the hotel each night to sleep it was great, bakery on site, supermarket over the road, mc donalds just down 2 blocks, lots of traditional small shops rather than the big centres. There was an eating place just 2 shops down and 2 couples ate there, had a meal each, a rice to share, can of soft drink each and it was less than $400 for the 4 of them. The rooms were a bit old and perhaps the carpet needed a replacement or steam clean but it had all we needed and the staff were lovely. The shuttle bus worked great, it dropped at Mong Kok station and at the Peninsula Hotel. The afternoon service back from Peninsula was hourly on the half hour which we managed to miss by only a few minutes both nights but it was fine we just wandered a bit more. I would stay there again, mainly as I know the beds are comfy and the shuttle was reliable.

Edited by Tara Jane