Seabourn vs. Oceania

allyg

My husband and I are are trying to decide about a cruise that goes from Copenhagen north to the Arctic Circle visiting the fjords. Is Seabourn worth the luxury price tag if Oceania can give us a similar cruise for half the cost?

Yes. But then I would never consider Oceania.

If you have specific questions you may get more fulsome answers. And bear in mind that Seabourn is all inclusive. Not sure what Oceania even offers but assume that you have compared and contrasted at the detail level.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

Oceania is not half the price unless you sail in one of their tiny cabins. If you want anything comparable to the space you get on Seabourn you need to book a penthouse. That will cost you approximately the same as Seabourn and your drinks won't be included. Sometimes they include gratuities but not always. You have to compare the final cost, not just the original fares.

Not forgetting that 18% will be added to every drink that you buy on Oceania

I have done the comparisons and Oceania costs more than Seabourn when you sail in a similar sized suite and add up all of the extra charges that you will pay for things that are included on Seabourn.

Plus there are so many more guests on board Oceania which makes a difference when you want to get off the ship and back on again,there are often lines to stand in.

I have been fortunate to have been able to cruise on many different lines in the past 10 years or so and currently Seabourn is definitely my first preference. In my experience the service, ambiance, ship features and inclusive offer is second to none. Having said that, I recently cruised on Oceania Marina Copenhagen to Stockholm, so am able to compare the two lines.

This is obviously just my opinion, and based on only one Oceania cruise compared with two on Seabourn (but currently have three more Seabourn cruises booked).

Oceania Marina is a really nice ship, modern with very good facilities. The specialty restaurants are exceptionally good, with food quality probably being the highlight of the Oceania experience for me. Service was also very good, however with 1000 pax on board it was understandable that the staff couldn't always remember our names. However the staff who looked after us on several occasions soon learned our preferences and addressed us by name. The cabin was spotless and the cabin steward exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Oceania let you take on as much alcohol as you want, including spirits (officially I think they say just a few bottles per cabin, but don't "police" larger quantities), and you only pay corkage if you take them to restaurants. The ship is generally fairly quiet at night, not dissimiliar to Seabourn. All non alcoholic drinks are included on Oceania, including specialty coffees.

Having experienced Oceania, I enjoyed it, and am glad I had the opportunity to try them out. I keep coming back to Seabourn though, and it is the small ship experience that makes the difference for me. I love the incredibly friendly and accommodating Seabourn staff, the way that officers, entertainers etc mix every day with the passengers, Seabourn Square and the other ship facilities, included alcohol and the overall ambiance of the ship, elegant but not pretentious.

Seabourn is a far superior cruise line IMO . The standard non suite cabin on Oceania is approximately 220 sq ft....the standard cabin ( suite ) on Seabourn is over 300 sq ft. When considering price, one has to factor in alcohol. It's expensive on Oceania, as is the internet.

Is Seabourn worth the luxury price tag if Oceania can give us a similar cruise for half the cost?

Depends on your priorities. Would paying half enable you to do something else that you desire?

Are you the type that has to stay in 5-star hotels in order to enjoy the accommodations? If so, perhaps staying in a 3-star equivalent ship would not be to your liking.

Check both itineraries carefully. How many ports? How long does the ship stay in port? What are the odds of missing port? Oceania is currently being bashed on the O forum for a pattern of missing ports, shortening times in ports and not refunding fees for missed ports. I don't think you'd have that problem with Seabourn.

We enjoy Oceania but would not consider doing such an itinerary with them. Seabourn would be our top choice.

i did 14 on SB and 2 on Oceania's Riviera

despite the speciality restaurants are good on O - the onerous prices for wines and drinks + 18 % service were far from pleasant

+ gratuities added on your bill for "your convenience "

tender ports are a horrid on O

if i ever would go back on O it must be at a very special price with complimentary gratuities

i did 14 on SB and 2 on Oceania's Riviera

despite the speciality restaurants are good on O - the onerous prices for wines and drinks + 18 % service were far from pleasant

+ gratuities added on your bill for "your convenience "

tender ports are a horrid on O

if i ever would go back on O it must be at a very special price with complimentary gratuities

It is this kind of stuff that is a deal breaker for us.

Seabourn is a far superior cruise line IMO . The standard non suite cabin on Oceania is approximately 220 sq ft....the standard cabin ( suite ) on Seabourn is over 300 sq ft. When considering price, one has to factor in alcohol. It's expensive on Oceania, as is the internet.

Actually the standard cabin on Oceania is 216 sq ft INCLUDING the Balcony. Interior space is 165 sq. ft. On Seabourn it's 300 sq. ft of interior space or 365 including the balcony. That's a huge difference and the reason I would never sail on Oceania in anything less than a penthouse and then there is basically no price difference.

This past winter we spent 30 days on the Oceania Nautica from Capetown to Singapore. This was our first cruise on another line since the little ships were sold. Our agent got us free internet, included gratuities and $500 on board credit which paid for our bottles of wine. We are social drinkers on any ship==including Seabourn.

That said, Seabourn is a more luxurious product, but Oceania is way above the usual mass market experience. WE did not attend the lectures, but those who did said they were excellent. We are Trivia addicts, and in this Oceania provided the better experience. Killer trivia had a large attendance. There was also an evening Trivia game that was highly competitive and also well attended. We found the cruise director as good as any on Seabourn and very personable. Of course with 600 passengers aboard, the experience is not as personal as on Seabourn.

WE always book private tours and had no trouble getting on or off the ship. There were never any lines. We simply walked off and on when we wanted.

Except for the specialty restaurants I would rate Seabourn*s food as superior and through our concierge level balcony cabin was very comfortable at 262 sq ft, the suites on Seabourn, especially the bathrooms, were larger and better equipped.

Dress was far more casual on Oceania, although everyone looked nice and well presented.

So my advice is to compare the itinerary. You may find one ship has more, or more interesting stops. I doubt you'll be disappointed with which ever you choose.

Having sailed on both these cruise lines let me offer my opinion which covers an issue not yet discussed.

Seabourn still caters to a "dress up" crowd. A formal (Tux) night every week and coat and tie at appropriate times. Oceania never asks for a coat and tie for gentlemen. All they ask is that you dress in a manner so that you do not embarrass yourself or anyone you may be with.

Both Seaboun and Oceania are terrific options for what they are. Find the right itinerary and the right ship.

We sail on Seabourn next month and Oceania in 2016.

I beg to differ re: dress codes. SB no longer requires a tuxedo or even a tie on "formal" nights. A jacket and shirt will suffice. Or just a shirt and slacks in the Colonnade or Patio Grill. Of course, Oceania does not require a jacket anywhere.

Oceania is a very good product but it's not Seabourn.

I beg to differ re: dress codes. SB no longer requires a tuxedo or even a tie on "formal" nights. A jacket and shirt will suffice. Or just a shirt and slacks in the Colonnade or Patio Grill. Of course, Oceania does not require a jacket anywhere.

Agree,spot on Henry

My husband and I are are trying to decide about a cruise that goes from Copenhagen north to the Arctic Circle visiting the fjords. Is Seabourn worth the luxury price tag if Oceania can give us a similar cruise for half the cost?

In the end, only you can figure this out and to be very honest you will not know until you try each line.

For example, is it worth it to stay on the club floor of a Ritz Carlton or stay in a standard room of a Hyatt. Again, only you can decide.

I am a big believer in trying new lines when the itinerary is right.

That is how we have tried various luxury lines.

If you are impressed with the itinerary then give Seabourn a try and then you'll know for sure.

If this puts a big strain on your budget, then don't do it.

But as others have said, factor in the monetary difference from what will be included with Seabourn versus what is not.

Again, only you can make the decision and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because they are not you.

Keith

Thanks, you've made our packing much easier. Our last Seabourn cruise was almost 3 years ago. It was a northern Atlantic crossing. There was a high percentage of European travelers and "dress up" was their favorite thing to do.

I spent 42 nights on Oceania Marina during the winter of 2013 and then did the North Cape itinerary on Crystal Symphony. I have never sailed Seaborn buy would certainly take Crystal over Oceania any day and when you add drinks, gratuities and internet Crystal is very competitive in pricing. If you can sail without a balcony, I find the E2 cabins on Syphony to be a good value. Food is definitely better than Oceania.

Apples and oranges. Personally I don't know why one would go on a line that is not all inclusive unless its a one off itinerary. I detest being nickel and dimed and also detest signing for a glass of wine or a bottle of champagne.

You get what you pay for and Seabourn is the best value out there In terms of being all suites, all inclusive and all fabulous. The size is perfect too

That being said, it's your money and your cruise and only you can decide. You have been given good advise here. What ever you decide, enjoy.

We have just done the Oceania cruise similar to which you are asking about

. We went into see our TA to book with Seabourn as we have a future cruise deposit with them but our TA pushed us towards Oceania

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/copenhagen-to-london-NAU160625/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23destinations%3Dbalticandscandinavia%23ships%3DNAU%23cruiseLengths%3DFifteenToTwentyOne

and felt that the Russia ports of Murmansk, Solvetsky Islands, which didn't even get a mention on the DVD one can buy US$40, of the cruise, and Archangel were a waste of time as really the Russians didn't want to know you. Most people we talked to agreed. We also only went into one fjord, Geiranger

Knowing what I know now I would rather have paid for a Seabourn's cruise

http://www.seabourn.com/find-luxury-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?voyageCode=6629&webItineraryIdForAudit=E6NS14&destList='EN'&noOfFlexibleMonths=1#

Edited by Thecat123

Thecat123,

I hope you let your TA know how you feel.

Sure did :)

But to be fair he actually thought he was doing the correct thing for us by sending us to those Russian ports

If one was to look at the 2 different cruises it is very easy to see which cruise would be better for a first time cruise to Norway

Our cruise was called the Great Northern Lights which one was never going to see the Northern Lights as it was daylight for nearly 24 hours a day but at least we knew that before we left :)

Edited by Thecat123