Navigator of the Seas - Opinions on the Ship/Port Needed

Navi is my second-favorite ship (behind Oasis), and Galveston is actually my favorite place to sail out of, next to my home port of LA (but we all know we can't do that anymore).:(

I like Galveston because it's a quick 3 hr. flight instead of 5+ to Florida, and the port is small, so none of the Miami/FLL hassles. And you get to sail with Them Craaaaazy Texans, the best group around to sail with!!:D

One thing that is an issue at Galveston sometimes-FOG. And rain. But mostly fog, changes sailings every now and again, so check the weather. But you will be at my fav. port on my 2nd fav. ship, so enjoy!!

Yes indeed! Texas FOREVER, baby!!!! WooooooHoooooo!!! :D

I've only sailed once and it was out of Galveston (on the Mariner), so I have nothing to compare it to. But it was pretty painless once I got my bearings/figured out where I was supposed to be going. It was a little crowded, but it was Spring Break so that may have had something to do with it. But the process was real quick and easy. Aside for waiting for an extra luggage tag, we didn't have to wait anywhere. We got to the terminal around 10 or so. Got the extra tag, dropped off our bags and from there on it was smooth sailing. We breezed through the scanners, waited all of 3 minutes in line to check in and then were told to go ahead and board. We didn't sit down until we were actually ON the ship. (I'm hoping I time it so perfectly next year. ;))

And it was rainy and cold the day I sailed away - which was absolutely mind-boggling because I was out and about the day before (I live in Houston) and it was sunny and nice! But the day we came back the weather was picture perfect.

I did the Honduras/Belize/Cozumel itinerary and LOVED it! So much so that I'm repeating it in 2014 with my parents and sister. Like you, the itinerary was so appealing to me and was actually why I chose that particular cruise.

I'm looking forward to the Navigator. Since it's the sister ship to the Mariner and it will be newly revitalized in 2014 (Mariner was done last year), I'm expecting that it will be a fantastic trip. The Mariner was absolutely gorgeous and the staff was amazing!!!

Go for it! And I hope you'll enjoy yourself in Galveston!

Love Navigator! Been on her twice - once when she was sparkling and new and then again this past february when she was a little run down but still beautiful. She will be sparkling again after refurb. :D Another upgrade she will have after drydock is the virtual inside balconies!

I'm hoping she stays in Galveston for awhile as I'd love to sail her again and do that Belize route you're looking at. Houston airport is pretty easy for us to get to. We have a couple of other cruises already booked but are thinking of this one for 2015.

If you decide to do this cruise a review would be wonderful! ;)hint hint;):D

We are platinum on Carnival, but I must confess NOS is the niciest ship that we have sailed to date. Nice layout, good food, great wait staff, fantastic singers. It was the best cruise so far.

I wouldn't be sad about Galveston either. We have sailed out of Miami, New Orleans, Mobile, and Galveston is our favorite.

The first time, way back in 2003, I hired a private car with a driver, it was like $80. After that, Supershuttle. I'm sure there are less expensive ways to go, I'm more of a comfort girl myself. But there are tons of transportation choices right at the airport.:)

Thanks for the information. :D:):D

We are doing that cruise next year. We did the Voyager out of Galveston on a similar route a couple of years ago. We loved the ship and the ports.

One thing to note is that with this itinerary there is a full immigration/customs/border inspection on the ship and every passenger because it stops in Honduras. So debarking can/will take a while. Couple that with any fog and you can miss an early flight. So plan carefully.

As far as what to see, I have to admit I've lived here for 8 years and have yet to head down to Galveston. I prefer the big city of Houston and everything there is to do up here (shopping, museums, zoo, NASA, etc). Also after going to Florida beaches for years, the Galveston beach just doesn't compare in my opinion.

Great combination. Sail her and enjoy Texas, there is a lot to both of them. Fly in EARLY! Houston, so much to see and do and eat! San Antonio, the River Walk and Alamo. And others just like a laid back stay along the beach somewhere along the coast, if its still there from the last hurricane. Great food, everywhere! Tamales, fried green tomatoes, Gulf shrimp and oysters, Mudbugs in the spring!!! If you haven't enjoyed the place you should experience it at least once(a year).

Galveston has a lot as well and it changes during the year. But don't expect to swim in February or March unless you like a cold dip in the Gulf. And yes, it's not Florida, it's the Texas Gulf Coast with an entirely different look, enjoy!

Haven't booked our cruise on her yet but she was great on the crossing. I understand that she is going to be in Texas all year now too! Enjoy the ports, great diving, Mayan ruins, beach days. Looking forward to Texas and the Navigator. Go Hogs!

We thought the same thing, that the Flowrider was nice for younger and more agile cruisers. We were surprised at how much we enjoyed watching others use the Flowrider even though it wasn't something we could partake in. It was quite entertaining!

I will be sailing on her from Galveston in late Feb & can't wait to watch my son (almost 40 years old) do the flowrider (says he's gonna do it) & I will LOL.

Flying Southwest to Hobby airport is probably your best bet. Hobby is closer to the ship, and Southwest does not have baggage fees. Still, ground transportation to and from the ship can be pricey. If you have a large group, you can charter a shuttle, but for 2 people that can get expensive. We have used the Texas Cruise Ship Shuttles and Gulf Coast Limousines, and both were good and reliable. We have also use Supershuttle (not an option unless you charter it) -- reliable to the ship but not on the return, often waiting more than 2 hours for the bus to arrive at the pier. Be sure to fly in on Saturday (or earlier if you want) and don't book a return flight before 1pm. (Some have booked noon or before, but this can be really "iffy".)

The Navigator is a voyager class ship, and it getting a major dry dock in January, 2014. I really like the voyager class ships. Ports-of-call would either be Jamaica/Cayman/Cozumel, or Roatan/Belize/Cozumel. You probably saw the Navigator will be in Galveston year round, at least for 2014.

I will add that after my last two Galveston cruises -- Dec. 2012, and March 2013 -- going through customs was very slow -- 90 minutes or more -- both times. I hope this does not continue in Galveston. In the past it took less than 30 minutes to go through.

Edited by Jimnbigd

I will add that after my last two Galveston cruises -- Dec. 2012, and March 2013 -- going through customs was very slow -- 90 minutes or more -- both times. I hope this does not continue in Galveston. In the past it took less than 30 minutes to go through.

Two reasons:

1) They check EVERYONE now on the computer.

2) They are short handed (i.e. sequester) and don't have enough personnel for the ports and airports.

We were on Navigator last March. We love Voyager class but she will be a better ship when she gets her upgrades. We liked Voyager and Mariner better - but honestly, I think that was the passenger base, not the ship. As others have said, sailing from Galveston is a treat. The joke is that whatever ship RC sends us, we have to "texanize" the crew. Galveston ships are known for having a very friendly, relaxed vibe on board. A vast majority of the passengers are from Texas, Oklahoma, the Midwest and the Southwest. Less from Louisiana now that RC has a ship back in NOLA. Having sailed from many different ports, I can honestly say that there is a difference ( at least I have noticed it in our 21 cruises). This is NOT a knock on other ports, there is simply a warmth on Galveston sailings.

There are some negatives - a few more weather and fog issues than you would find for Florida departures during the winter months. For those that fly, Galveston is a trek from either airport and you have to factor that in when making reservations.

Galveston is a nice little island - and very easy to explore. Many hotels at all price points. Many on the Seawall - and they are surrounded by all sorts of restaurants/bars/shops. Same with the Strand which is very close to the port. Our favorite hotel is Hotel Galvez - beautiful, historic, convenient and haunted. ;) Our last few cruises have been away from Galveston but we hope to be back on a Galveston sailing very soon. FWIW, the Roatan itinerary is THE best! Roatan is one of our favorite ports ever. Very glad RC is back full time in Texas - we have missed them!

Was just scoping out some potential sailings for 2014 and came across a Navigator cruise out of Galveston TX. I've never sailed from any ports other than those in Florida, San Juan, or Long Beach. Although the itinerary looks really nice (Honduras/Belize), I'm not sure what departing from Galveston is like. What about the Navigator itself?

If you've ever been on Navigator, I'd definitely like to know how the ship is. Also any thoughts on the Port of Galveston. Thanks, gang!

We came of the Navigator yesterday in Rome and had a fantastic time, it is a beaumtiful ship, not too big and not too small. The crew were lovely, the ship felt really spacious and I'm sure she will be even better after her refit.

We loved loved the navigator... We were on it last year out of rome for our Mediterranean cruise. We have been to roatan both as a cruise port and also a week for diving... We loved it. They have put a lot of money in the cruise port area. Super nice beach area with free chairs... Food drink and shopping options.

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing that cruise next year. We did the Voyager out of Galveston on a similar route a couple of years ago. We loved the ship and the ports.

One thing to note is that with this itinerary there is a full immigration/customs/border inspection on the ship and every passenger because it stops in Honduras. So debarking can/will take a while. Couple that with any fog and you can miss an early flight. So plan carefully.

As far as what to see, I have to admit I've lived here for 8 years and have yet to head down to Galveston. I prefer the big city of Houston and everything there is to do up here (shopping, museums, zoo, NASA, etc). Also after going to Florida beaches for years, the Galveston beach just doesn't compare in my opinion.

Do they come onto the ship for inspection? :confused:

Edited by JimAOk1945

March 2011 we took VOS out of Galveston to Honduras, Belize & Mexico. We did not encounter any fog (did watch the port cam for a couple of weeks to know what was happening!).

People say it costs a lot to get to Galveston from Houston. We feel it was comparable to New York from the airport to the hotel and same in Rome then to the Port. So cost is a matter of what have you paid. Also there are a LOT of strings on the port forum that will give you ideas.

We booked the NOS while on board this time. We enjoyed the cruise out of Galveston more than any other except this Mediterranean cruise. We met so many people and enjoyed them so much. One couple is joining us on this next cruise!

There are so many great places to eat in Galveston, and lots to see. Can hardly wait until we return! :D

As someone else said, it is a lot closer to Galveston than FL! Cruise on!

Here is my Voyager review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=105&sort=date_newest&StartRow=251

Here is my Navigator review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=220333

I believe they are inspecting it as you are getting off and waiting on your own immigration/passport control. It is similar to the episode of Border Wars they did in Miami if you've ever seen it. It was very thorough and they did find staff with drugs.

Having sailed out of Galveston numerous times, most recently in February on Mariner, ICE is checking every passport through their computers.

And I mean everyone!

There is also a shortage of ICE agents which makes the process even longer.

The agent we went through said they check everyone when the ship goes to Honduras.

Passengers are checked in the terminal. However, agents also board the ship for inspection.

Galveston is magical... skip Houston unless you've just never seen a city in your whole life, and come straight to the island. (I grew up in Houston -- got the hell out as fast as I could.)

Galveston is full of the most amazing architecture, fascinating history, incredible food, activities for every member of the family, and the most gorgeous sunsets over the water to end your day with a little moment of bliss. Here's a little sample, courtesy of extraordinary photographer Vadim Troshkin:

249119_10152903745160230_1177835814_n_zpse3a15455.jpg

There is so much great info on the Gulf Departures sub-board -- You should go check it out. :)

-gina-

Galveston is magical... skip Houston unless you've just never seen a city in your whole life, and come straight to the island. (I grew up in Houston -- got the hell out as fast as I could.)

Galveston is full of the most amazing architecture, fascinating history, incredible food, activities for every member of the family, and the most gorgeous sunsets over the water to end your day with a little moment of bliss. Here's a little sample, courtesy of extraordinary photographer Vadim Troshkin:

249119_10152903745160230_1177835814_n_zpse3a15455.jpg

There is so much great info on the Gulf Departures sub-board -- You should go check it out. :)

-gina-

That photo captures a Galveston bay sunset for sure!:)

Another thumbs up for Navigator. Wife and I have sailed her three times.

She's a wonderful ship and one of our favorites. We'd love to get back on her in the future.

As others have said, the Voyager class is a great mix with modern RCI amenities (especially post-refurb) but a little smaller than the Freedom class (and obviously Oasis class) with less people.

Despite this, she in no way feels small. I'd imagine that with the addition of a Flowrider and the other upgrades coming with the refurb, you'd be hard pressed to tell you weren't on a Freedom class ship.

• 4 months later...

OK...THIS is why I love this board! I'm in the initial stages of planning our next vacation and I was considering this boat in June 2014 (DD17 and single dad). As she'll be fairly fresh from dry dock and refitted...I'm ALMOST ready to book but now I have the question...what category? I know I'll be booking a balcony but not sure if there's any I should "stay away from" or "grab if you can find it"... Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

OK...THIS is why I love this board! I'm in the initial stages of planning our next vacation and I was considering this boat in June 2014 (DD17 and single dad). As she'll be fairly fresh from dry dock and refitted...I'm ALMOST ready to book but now I have the question...what category? I know I'll be booking a balcony but not sure if there's any I should "stay away from" or "grab if you can find it"... Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

My dh & I are sailing the May 4th sailing, D2 category, oversized balcony $658 pp. It is a 6 day cruise. Sailing before schools release so should not have a lot

of kiddos running around…… We like sailing out of Galveston as we can drive to port and not have to pay airfare. We are from KCMO….