How many of you cruise on more than one line

bandjwayne

I am just wondering how many people "jump ship" and cruise on multiple cruise lines? I know the benefit of staying with one line. We have done RCL and Carnival. While we prefer RCL over carnival, we do not dislike carnival at all. I am trying to plan a family cruise in April of 2015. With 4 of us going, CCL and NCL have less expensive options. I am also kinda curious of other lines. I know that if we never try, we will never know if we like that line or not. I know that I will be happy on RCL, we always have been. So do you sometimes choose a cruise by price over cruise line, with itinerary being the same, or as close as it can be? Or do you just stick with your preferred line? Thanks for listening to my rambling, but I am curious!

I'm fairly new to cruising and I often wonder the same thing. My first cruise as a preteen was on Carnival. Lots of other kids but I did not participate in any kid's activities. I just hung out with my brother. Next one was not until I was 22 again with my dad on Celebrity. A lot more upscale and I remember the food to be excellent. Older sis is a foodie and she agrees.

Then wasn't until another 10 years later I first sailed on RCCL with a friend. Food was not as good as I remembered. Cabins were tiny like I remembered tho. Still had great fun. Friend is a Diamond on RCCL so we got check in benefits and some coupons, etc.

Went on the next one with bf on RCCL (Allure) and again, food was not that great. Overall a fun time, but price wise was a bit high (bc it was Allure I guess). Since I was now a "gold" I got some coupons too, and a shorter line for check in, but other than that, perks are not that great unless you are really up there.

Less than a week we will be on Princess. I hear the food is better, the decor more upscale, and the demographics older. I hope it is what I have read.

I was going to book Celebrity but the price was too high. RCCL didn't have the itns I was looking for (somewhere I haven't been yet), and Princess has the itin and the price, so that is the deciding factor. However, even with a good price and a good itin I don't think I would book Carnival again. Even though I haven't tried it as an adult, the idea I have of them puts me off. Likewise I would not book Norwegian bc I like to cruise to dress up. Seems like Carnival and Norwegian are the most casual out of the mass market lines. I think once I find a line that feels like "me" I would stick with them though.

We 'sleep around' too. We've been on five different lines, plus three that are now defunct. We cruise Princess the most often, Celebrity next most, and have enjoyed cruises on RCI, Carnival and NCL too.

We choose by price, itinerary, time of year and other factors, with the first three being the most important. So far, we've never had a bad cruise.

I like trying new lines, although it is nice to get to an upper level on one line.

All of the above comments are valid. It is personal choice, that one can make only after sampling at least two different lines, to see that there is or isn't a difference....

For me, I first choose a cruise by itinerary. Where I want to go. Next is by dates. If I have a choice, I will always select a time when school is open, to minimize the amount of children aboard. All things being equal, I will then select by the ship...one that most appeals to me. Next will be price. The last consideration, if all is still even, would be by line....one that offers me the best past passenger status perks.

I also tend to select cruises sailing within driving range of my homeport if possible.

So far, I have sailed twice on Princess, seven times on HAL, twice on RCCL, twice on Celebrity, once on Cunard, and seven times on NCL.

I have been on cruises from six to sixteen days in length.

I like them all for various reasons, and even though a have reached top tier status on one (NCL, the easiest to attain)...I still am open to try others.

Edited by bob brown

We have been on twenty-three cruises on seven different lines. We look for price and itinerary. I get a boot out of those who insist that they stick with one line because of their rewards level. Yeah right, spend a few hundreds of dollars more on a cruise so you can get free laundry or a few hours of turtle internet use!:rolleyes:

My next cruise will be the first time I repeat a cruise line. I am a member or three different loyalty programs but that is not the reason why I cruise. Perks are nice but an interesting itinerary, great price, perfect sailing date, etc. would trump the loyalty program.

DH and I have been on about 20 cruises in as many years. Been on Carnival mostly because of price, but have been on RCCL, Celebrity, THE BIG RED BOAT, and, the best cruise line we have ever been on, but is now defunct, Renaisance. We are loyal to none and they return the favor by not giving us any upgrades, or gifts, or squat. We are suppose to be a Plantinum level with Carnival but they refuse to ackowledge our cruises in the 90's and early 2000's unless we kept our room key or boarding pass. What a crock!!

I make all the plans for our cruises-DH just goes along for the ride!! and those decisions are make on price, place, time of year, availability of getting off work. We are going on a Princess cruise next Feb-our 30th anniversary!! yeah!!! so hope it proves itself to be an upgrade in things.

:rolleyes:

I don't look at it as cheating...lol....We have sailed on Princess, Carnival and NCL and this coming February we will sail on Royal Caribbean.

Of all we have sailed on so far, we like NCL's Freestyle cruising best. Princess and Carnival are both fine options and we haven't had a cruise we didn't enjoy. Variety, they say, is the spice of life and to me, the spicier the better!

I am just wondering how many people "jump ship" and cruise on multiple cruise lines? I know the benefit of staying with one line. We have done RCL and Carnival. While we prefer RCL over carnival, we do not dislike carnival at all. I am trying to plan a family cruise in April of 2015. With 4 of us going, CCL and NCL have less expensive options. I am also kinda curious of other lines. I know that if we never try, we will never know if we like that line or not. I know that I will be happy on RCL, we always have been. So do you sometimes choose a cruise by price over cruise line, with itinerary being the same, or as close as it can be? Or do you just stick with your preferred line? Thanks for listening to my rambling, but I am curious!

You mentioned CCL vs. NCL for your next. As far as choosing, for the same price, we would choose by price. However, "for us", we do not look at Carnival. I would go ahead and try NCL. We enjoy their freestyle dining and relaxed dress code.

We have done to RC ships, the big girls, but are choosing Princess for our next. :)

There are a couple of lines that we prefer and there is one line that we will NOT go on again, but we pretty much choose based on itinerary, dates, price, departure port. There are some features of one line we prefer over another, but overall, we're pretty much happy on any cruise.

We tend to look at itinerary first - working on our "bucket list". Then price and cruise line comes next. We're retired so time of year doesn't really make a difference. We're usually looking at longer cruises so we don't cruise as often as we'd like. We've sailed HAL and RCCL so far but our next one is on Princess.

We've cruised in three lines so far and are booked for a fourth next year. After that we are taking serious looks at three others in the foreseeable future, including Regent (Australia and NZ), Lindblad (Antartica with landings, not just a sail by), and AMA (river cruising in Europe). We will also be on Windstar again soon in Europe. No one line can give all those itineraries.

We choose based on itinerary and then find a ship that will meet our requirements. We've sailed the big ships and won't do that again u less we sail Disney with family with children.

We would rather cruise less often in nicer and smaller ships and to more exotic or unusual ports.

We have no desire to waste (in our opinion given our preferences--to each their own) our money on a big ship and to the Caribbean, etc. We prefer an elegant casual atmosphere with adults and few to no children at this point in our lives. Food is important to us as well, I don't eat many of the menu items I see on some of the mass market lines at home (meatloaf? Really?) and I'm sure not eating the, at sea.

We don't see the point of sailing the same ship or basic itinerary over and over, and love the intimacy and lack of crowds and much higher levels if service that comes with a small ship.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

I've only been on four cruises, Carnival, Royal, and two on Norwegian. I have four potential cruises planned in the next 12 months, one each on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal, and Norwegian. So I guess I'm not too loyal ;)

Maybe if I became a more consistent and frequent cruiser (this coming year notwithstanding), I may find a specific line is a better fit for me, but for now, I like variety, and just choose whatever fits my needs and schedule.

I would not be happy eating vanilla ice cream all the time. Loyalty to one cruise line is not a issue, I like the variety of cruise lines. So far I have been on RCI, NCL, CCL and X. Looking at Princess in 2015 Alaska. :)

We have been crusing since the l980s. As a result we have cruised RCCL, Sitmar, Princess, Crystal, Royal, HAL, NCL, Celebrity, and Cunard over the years. Sitmar became Princess and Royal went out of business years ago.

Recently, we favor Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL.

We are booked on HAL for a TA in April 2014, Celebrity in October 2014 and Princess for April 2015. Keeps it interesting.