Malaria

khanada1

Be clear on one thing. Anti Malaria drugs do not prevent you from getting it, they only moderate the effects of it. I spent seven months in the Congo on a UN mission with 5 other Canadian Officers. We were all on Mefloquine for a month prior to going till a month after our return. This drug is a liver killer and no one should be on it for more than a year at a time. Also prior to it being prescribed to you a blood test must be done to confirm if you have the G6PD gene (pretty sure thats the one) Can't remember if its if you have it or don't but one way Mefloquine won't work for you and another drug must be taken. Mefloquine is taken once a week. The other drugs are taken daily. Three of six came down with it including one who was hospitalized for two weeks. There are four types of malaria in the Congo. Thankfully non of my fellow officers came down with the one that is fatal. A good dose of insect repellant is all you will need.

Edited by Gunner22aa

Heading to Belize and Cozumel. Will be in the jungle walking and exploring. Should I take something prior to cruise to prevent malaria?

We were in Belize and Cozumel in September and we really were saved by our bug spray. We shared with fellow cruisers who were getting eaten alive. Wear long capris or pants (thin fabric) and something with either 3/4 length or long sleeves. I did not get one bite and insects of all types seem to love the way that I taste! We were careful to purchase repellant with Deet. The advice from here was to apply sunscreen and then the repellant.