Worried about seasickness?

twokey

I just got back from my first cruise. Because I had experienced seasickness on smaller boats in the past, I was worried. I tried QUEASY BEADS. I had heard about them on the CC boards. I GOOGLED the name and found the website.

I am so glad I did. I wore them from the time I got on the ship until I got off. I even wore them on a small boat excursion. Never once did I feel the slightest bit queasy. On top of that, they look great. They just look like fashionable wooden bead bracelets. I even got a couple of compliments on them.

If you are worried about getting seasick, I can tell you that I highly recommend these. It may just have been totally psychological, but I believe they worked. They were very affordable and the company was a pleasure to deal with.

Have fun cruising!

We would just offer a bit of a warning. Large ships move in a totally different way then smaller vessels and also have stabilizers. So there are many folks who go on cruise ships, use all kinds of seasickness prevention remedies (sea bands, beads, ginger, sea band watches, etc) and swear that everything is fine. Then one day they get on a cruise where they get major swells or high cross winds (this will make the largest ships move) and they suddenly learn that their alternative methods are not very effective. There are multiple studies that show that ginger helps folks, but not many independent studies that support most other non-drug products. One can perhaps look to what the cruise lines do with their own staff/crew as well as what they sell or give away on most ships. The drug of choice seems to be Meclizine Hcl which is sold over the counter under various brand names (Bonine, Dramaine II, etc) and as a prescripton drug under the name "Antivert." Another less popular, but more powerful, preventive are the patches called "Transderm Scop" which we do not like because of the potential side effects (DW has suffered from a few).

I would add that nothing is written in stone. We cruise an awful lot (101 days in 2012) and I have not been seasick in more then 2 1/2 years on cruise ships in all kinds of conditions (including 40+ seas). But a few months ago when I was on the Celebrity Silhouette in the Med, I suddenly felt a bit sick in relatively mederate seas (about 10 foot). I immediately took a Bonine (DW takes them if it gets rough) and in about an hour felt OK. But there is no explanation why I would feel lousy in those seas when it was nothing unusual. Sometimes stuff happens. We have even talked to a cruise line Captain who admitted that he sometimes (not often) has gotten seasick.

Hank

I just got back from my first cruise. Because I had experienced seasickness on smaller boats in the past, I was worried. I tried QUEASY BEADS. I had heard about them on the CC boards. I GOOGLED the name and found the website.

Have fun cruising!

Where was the cruise? How was the sea? Where was your cabin located? What type of cabin? Were you motion sick ever before?

All of the above may make a huge difference. For example, I was OK on a Norway cruise till we crossed the Polar circle. Or went to visit someone in their inside cabin, couldn't wait to leave to feel better.

My cruise was a 7 night, Southern Caribbean cruise from Colon Panama, to Cartegena, Columbia and all of the ABC Islands. The waters were very calm. nut I had been seasick many times before, especially as a kid. We were in a Junior Suite on the 8th Deck, aft. Onviously, we visited almost every part of the ship at some point during our cruise. I always wore my queasy beads.

Keith, are they the only reason that I never had any feelings of motion sickness? I can't be sure. I just know that I felt fine and I attribute it to wearing my Queasy Beads.

If you don't think they will work for you, they probably won't. I know that I am now a firm believer in them.

Have fun!

Archived