How did you screw up

S.A.M.J.R.

How did YOU screw up on a cruise? Despite all the planning, you did something that created a minor (or major) "bump" on your vacation?

Mine... I forgot to print out a copy of the email confirmation from a 3rd party excursion and I got my times mixed up. We got to the meeting spot right as they were giving up hope on us (I thought we had another 30 minutes or so and we were actually 20 minutes late). All turned out fine.

Not a big screw-up but I kept falling asleep early! :(

We love ports so we pick port-intensive itineraries, get up early and we're always one of the first ones off the ship and one of the last ones back on. We usually get back on the ship, get cleaned up for dinner, eat ravenously after running around all day. Then we'd go back to the cabin to change out of dinner clothes (because I like being comfy) to go to shows and stuff and I would sit/lay on the bed "just for a couple minutes" and I would fall asleep!

In that way, I missed a couple shows that I really wanted to see and I was pretty disappointed in myself. :( Going to try really, really hard not to do that again. I looooove my sleep, but I don't want to sleep away my vacation. I want to pack as much into it as I can! Afterwards, we're getting home Saturday so we'll have Sunday to rest up before heading back to work Monday!

Edited by skipsaur

I was the sole planner for my family on a Med cruise last year. I booked the cruise, flights, pre cruise hotel, all transfers and private excursions. That's in addition to the laundry, packing and cleaning prior to our departure.

When we arrived at La Sagrada Familia with our pre- purchased tickets, I realized that I booked them for one day earlier than our arrival. The young girl at the ticket counter saw my eyes well up with tears and graciously allowed us admittance.

As much as I checked, checked and checked again all of my plans, I messed up that date. :(

It won't happen again.

Edited by celebrity

I screwed up flight layover meaning an expensive taxi fare to get to linking airport

I thought it was 20 mile away but was near 150

So 400 euros later got there as required for next flight together to ship and only needed to be there 30 min early not 3 hours as they told me

Made the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I checked us in well in advance of our cruise, then forgot to print our set-sail passes. When I realized this - on the morning of the cruise - I ran down to the hotel's business center to log-on and print the pass. I then discovered that you're locked out three days in advance of the sailing! Then I really panicked, so I called the emergency assist line for Celebrity and the very nice phone rep told me not to worry. As long as I had the confirmation number we would be fine. And we were :)

We love ports so we pick port-intensive itineraries, get up early and we're always one of the first ones off the ship and one of the last ones back on. We usually get back on the ship, get cleaned up for dinner, eat ravenously after running around all day. Then we'd go back to the cabin to change out of dinner clothes (because I like being comfy) to go to shows and stuff and I would sit/lay on the bed "just for a couple minutes" and I would fall asleep!

In that way, I missed a couple shows that I really wanted to see and I was pretty disappointed in myself. :( Going to try really, really hard not to do that again. I looooove my sleep, but I don't want to sleep away my vacation. I want to pack as much into it as I can! Afterwards, we're getting home Saturday so we'll have Sunday to rest up before heading back to work Monday!

Must be a Michigan thing....we did the exact same thing as you.... Going in Feb on the Valor.. Going to try to stay up....past 8pm!!!!!

On our first cruise on for our 25th anniversary, I got us on the train going the wrong way for going to Florence, and we did not get there. This error was especially bad because DW is an art teacher.

Ten years later, we duplicated the cruise. This time we bought a Florence on Your Own excursion and timed tickets on line to the two major museums. It was expensive, but well worth it.

Not me, but darling hubby, we had booked air flights for a specific set of B2B cruises we wanted. We were waiting to see if they would come out with some last minute pricing. Well, they did, so he booked the first cruise, and then noticed he'd booked the wrong cruise. :eek:

So he was up at 4:30 the next morning to call them when they opened for business to see if they would be willing to switch the reservation to the correct date. Since it was after the Paid in Full date, it's technically an non-refundable booking.

Thankfully, they were able to make the switch. :)

Not a cruise, but.....we were going to visit friends on our way home from Fl....drove an entire state past their city....we were guessing where they lived! Anyway, we finally found them, and had a great time!

You know, on vacation, there is nothing that can screw up "time off'...go with the flow!

Without mistakes we would have no travel stories!:p

Reading the above posts we have lots of company. We've also gone the wrong way, missed dates (last minute plane fare FCO-LAX wasn't as bad as it could have been:eek:), fall asleep early at least one night (of course that's the only night Princess had a Lido party:rolleyes:), forgot to get cash before the trip.

Won't talk about the round trip train ride LAX-NYC over Christmas following a snowstorm. Did you know when the engine decouples from the cars that there is NO emergency power or lights? Discovered that gem somewhere in the prairie.

Edited by SadieN

This wasn't a screw up but it was a quick change in plans.

We were on 7 day air/land trip to Cozumel. Never watched TV. Got to the Cozumel airport and discovered there had been a tropical storm and lots of the Houston area was flooded, no flights. This was a Saturday, earliest flight out was going to be Tuesday. Continental put us in a better hotel then we had been in, paid the first night and got us a special rate for the next two.

Cool, back to the beach! :D

Big Screw Up on my part. :eek:

I have us booked on a dam (HAL) cruise that will keep DH from going to the last two days of the Masters. It will probably be the last time his friend who has ask him to go will still be able to get the passes from his dad who is now 101 years old.

LuLu

Almost missed our flight from LAX to HOU! I didn't factor in traffic from Anaheim to LAX on a Fri afternoon! Thank goodness we had a small size carryon. We wanted to check it bc we had wine, but they made us throw it out and run up to the gate to catch our flight. We were very lucky since we decided to bring a small one. Otherwise if it had to be checked they would have just said no. We made the flight barely 5 mins before they closed the gate!

Edited by whataboutport

Over the years we have screwed up a few times, generally we have paid more for less. In each and every case, it happened when a TA gave us misinformation. We have learned each and every time it was all about selling a package of services on the part of the TA and that we could just as easily purchased the service with a little more homework and done a better job.

So we use a TA on a very limited basis. We do our own hotel, air and even cruise bookings. Will be booking our own travel insurance in the future too.

We foolishly let the cruise line book our flights home from Italy. It was a disaster. We missed every flight they booked due to circumstances beyond our control. You'd think we'd learn, but no, we did it again. The next time we were booked through NYC with a change in terminals and a 30 minute window. Not good! We finally learned to make our own choices in flights.

Over the years we have screwed up a few times, generally we have paid more for less. In each and every case, it happened when a TA gave us misinformation. We have learned each and every time it was all about selling a package of services on the part of the TA and that we could just as easily purchased the service with a little more homework and done a better job.

So we use a TA on a very limited basis. We do our own hotel, air and even cruise bookings. Will be booking our own travel insurance in the future too.

We always book our own flights. And, we find it less expensive, too.

We transfered a cruise we booked onboard to a Travel Agent. She put the wrong final payment date on the invoice she sent us confirming the transfer. Then failed to call us and let the cruise be cancelled. She refused to admit it was her mistake and our $750 deposit was lost. BUT... I spoke with the cruise line and they have given us a $750 credit towards our next cruise.

You can bet that agent won't be booking any more of our cruises!!!

Ya know, if it was me, I'd find some comfier dinner duds and rock the evening without the side trip to the cabin, :)

On our pre-cruise DIY land tour last year, I booked our white water rafting trip and Midnight ATV ride for our first day in Denali. The next day, I booked our Wonder Lake Shuttle into Denali National Park. The problem? We didn't get back from our ATV ride until 1AM and had to shower to get all the DEET off before getting to bed about 2AM. Then had to be up by 6AM to pick up our pre-made lunches and get to the Wilderness Access Center for our 7AM shuttle. 12 hours on the shuttle after only 4 hours of sleep did not make for very happy people! :D