Best lunch in Ensenada?

Pier Pressure 53

My wife and I will be cruising to Ensenada next month, for the 1st time. Can anyone recommend a good place for lunch?

There are probably a lot of wonderful places....we had a BLAST there...BUT....(not trying to be a Debbie Downer):

We were sitting in a restaurant/bar (highly recommended on the cruise). We sat at the bar, because there were no tables available. Waited a good 20 minutes (and that is being kind) for the bartender.

We ordered 2 Margaretta's on the rocks and an appetizer to start out with. The bartender was soooo far behind, that he started emptying the dirty glasses on the counter (ice, straws) and made NEW drinks in the dirty glasses...UGH UGH UGH....Can we say HEPATITIS????

Started walking out and the manager asked if something was wrong. (I guess he noticed that after a period of time we had nothing in front of us). When we told him about drinks being made in unwashed glasses, he was VERY unphased by the whole thing. Cannot even IMAGINE what the kitchen is like.

Anyway...I know that not EVERY place is like this, BUT we did not drink, nor eat in Ensenada. Ewwww.

My wife and I will be cruising to Ensenada next month, for the 1st time. Can anyone recommend a good place for lunch?

If you enjoy wine, take the Two Winery tour. Inexpensive and a very nice time. You also get a bottle of wine.

There's a little place not far from Papas n Beer. I don't know what it's called but the front opens like a garage door and the bar top is almost on the sidewalk. Really good tacos there.

I've eaten at Manzanilla and Tres Muelles and both are excellent. These are true foodie destinations and priced accordingly (by Mexican standards, cheap for the USA). Tres Muelles is right by the cruise port, and Manzanilla is a short walk.

Others I've seen recommended include La Fenix.

The Tripadvisor reviews are mostly accurate, but Chowhound is the best place to go for foodie destinations: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/767830

And here's a rather old encomium to La Guerrenese street cart--I've not eaten there, but it's on my list: http://www.streetgourmetla.com/2009/...art-named.html

IMHO, the best lunch in Ensenada is at the bufadora. Fish tacos made with fresh handmade tortillas right in front of your eyes. Also the bufadora is a great, easy, cheap excursion. Just take the bus to town and they will sell it to you on the bus. The cost is just fifteen dollars. The bufadora is very cool. Last time we saw whales off shore. The shopping is also terrific.

..... the front opens like a garage door and the bar top is almost on the sidewalk. Really good tacos there.

That would be tacos lindos. It's across the street from Pappa's I believe.

Mango mango used to be on the corner but I think someone else is in there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ate at Mango Mango back in 2010. We had my 3 year old son with us and I was with my husband and brother. IT WAS LOUD! I mean party atmosphere! I didn't mind, but my husband is the low key type, and they were so accommodating and moved our table to an area that was quiet. Anyways my son loved it and the food was amazing...my husband still talks about how much he would go back even today!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We ate at Mango Mango back in 2010. We had my 3 year old son with us and I was with my husband and brother. IT WAS LOUD! I mean party atmosphere! I didn't mind, but my husband is the low key type, and they were so accommodating and moved our table to an area that was quiet. Anyways my son loved it and the food was amazing...my husband still talks about how much he would go back even today!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

That Mango Mango is gone. It has been taken over by Papas&Beer. Mango Mango has moved up the block.

Depends on what you are looking for. Great food? Street tacos? Nice sit down dinner?

Nearly every time we go to Ensenada, we go to Taquerias Mexico Lindo. It's a very yummy taco stand right between Papas and Beer and Hussongs. It's on Ave. Ruiz, just half a block from Ave Lopez Mateos.

You can check them out on Trip Advisor or Yelp.

Bob

It depends on what you want. Here is where we go when we are in Ensenada:

1. Taquiera Lindo. Next to Hussong's on Av. Ruiz. Tacos are $1.35. Few tables and about 10 seat bar. Best to sit at the bar. The owner makes really good margaritas for $5. Here is the menu:

TaqueriaLindaMenu.jpg

2. El Charro. On Av Lopez Mateos (main tourist street) just before Av. Ruiz. Known for their rotisserie chickens (the rotisserie is in the window). 2 of us split a half chicken. The mole and pipian chicken dishes are also good.

3. Guadalajara. On Macheros, between Av. Lopez Mateos and Segundo. Known for the birria (stew). When we have been there, we haven't seen many tourists. We have seen the tour guides from the ship tours eating there. After we eat there, it isn't far from the Tortilleria on Segundo between Macheros and Miramar for some sweets.

4. El Meson de Don Fernando. On Av Lopez Mateos, just south of Alvarado (same side of street as El Charro). We sit outside. We get a molcajete and share it between 2 or 3 people. It comes with beans, rice, meat and cheese. See the attached photo below of the molcajete.

5. Potrero Viejo - On SW corner of Av. Riveroll and Segundo (in a strip mall). True local place. We are usually the only gringos and they speak very little English. Known for Gorditas. If you like Pozole, it is really good here. The huge portion is only 50 pesos. Here is their menu:

PoteroViejomenu1a_zps20820a88.jpg

After we eat, we will get a paleta (mexican ice cream) at either of the La Michoacana ice cream shops. One is near Taqueria Lindos and the other is on the corner of Lazaro Cardenas and either Blancarte or Riveroll (there is a seafood cart in front that is always busy with locals). They have ice cream either on a stick or cones. There are interesting flavors including Key Lime Pie.

Once off the main tourist street (Av Lopez Mateos) be careful of the sidewalks. There are open utility boxes.

If you google Ensenada, you will see all of the location of all the restaurants.

GEDC1386.jpg.4ce6b2dedb79e6d9f4a31702af166e42.jpg

If you enjoy wine, take the Two Winery tour. Inexpensive and a very nice time. You also get a bottle of wine.

I agree. For a small amount of money it was a fabulous way to spend the day. The food given at the wineries was fantastic too.

Best lunch in Ensenada is served at the bufadora. Fish tacos made with handmade tortillas prepared right before your eyes. A buck each. Also the bufadora is a nice, cheap excursion. To go just get on the shuttle bus to town. On the bus they will give a little speech about the tours they offer. The tour to the bufadora/blowhole only cost fifteen dollars per person. A great way to spend the day in Ensenada.

Loved doing the wine tour. Do remember that any uncooked food item such as lettuce is washed in the local water. I am very cautious now since I did once get you know what in Mexico. It was on a Princess tour and they handed me a cup of water while on the tour. I assumed it was not tap water. I was WRONG, but it is possible I got it from eating a local taco also while on the tour. Anyways I do NOT eat local food while in Ensenada. Tequila or liquor is fine though as alcohol kills nasty things.:):D

Ensenada and Valle de Guadalupe are world class culinary destinations. You can find everything from street carts serving excellent and super fresh ceviches to fine dining. Not knowing exactly what you are looking for I'd suggest Muelle 3. It's casual, right on the harbor and the food is excellent. The owner's brother also has a restaurant named Boules which is also excellent. Is's attached to a good wine shop called La Contra that has a great selection of wines from the Valle.

Ensenada and Valle de Guadalupe are world class culinary destinations. You can find everything from street carts serving excellent and super fresh ceviches to fine dining. Not knowing exactly what you are looking for I'd suggest Muelle 3. It's casual, right on the harbor and the food is excellent. The owner's brother also has a restaurant named Boules which is also excellent. Is's attached to a good wine shop called La Contra that has a great selection of wines from the Valle.

Seafood is actually what we are looking for. From the posts here, sounds like Manzanilla and Muelle 3 are pretty good. Have you dined at Manzanilla and can compare it to Muelle 3? I guess that is the question, for the best seafood, would Muelle 3 or Manzanilla be best, or maybe another seafood restaurant?

John

You can't go wrong with either restaurant. Bonito Moilina of Manzanilla actually owned Muelle 3 at one time. Manzanilla is a bit more formal with composed dishes, Muelle 3 is a small informal cafe right on the harbor. Is Manzanilla open for lunch?

The La Guerrense and El Guero food carts also serve super fresh sea food and are worth a visit.

A little off the subject, but I have a blog featuring news and info about Valle de Guadalupe that might be of interest. thevalledeguadalupe.blogspot.com

3. Guadalajara. On Macheros, between Av. Lopez Mateos and Segundo. Known for the birria (stew). When we have been there, we haven't seen many tourists. We have seen the tour guides from the ship tours eating there. After we eat there, it isn't far from the Tortilleria on Segundo between Macheros and Miramar for some sweets.

If you google Ensenada, you will see all of the location of all the restaurants.

we dined here a few weeks ago and YES their birria is amazing. And we were the only tourist there except for a few of the crew who are Mexican. Here is my blog about it.

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2014/10/ensenada.html