Delays in issuing tickets

Shipping Out

Any reflections on the following...

A month after my Mother and I sent in our security forms (separately) to Cunard at their Florida office, we still hadn't gotten our tickets. When our travel agent called, Cunard said they hadn't received eithor of our forms. Our travel agent faxed new forms with the pertinent information, and confirmed that they had been received. Cunard then said they were backlogged. They will have to overnight our tickets to our travel agent, because it is now barely a week before we depart (April 16th). We still haven't received them as of today. It seems to me that Cunard is cutting things a little too close for comfort. Any comments?

First , I'm sorry this is happening: someone clearly dropped the ball.

Once I got sent in my PRE-cruise "guest registration form" it took Cunard about two weeks to get my actual tickets to me (understandable due to printing involved etc) and they sent them overnight via Airborne. Based on that, I think you could normally expect to receive your tickets two weeks from when your travel agent faxed the new forms.

If that timing is not acceptable/promising, I would make certain to get something in writing from Cunard which confirms the situation and alternate arrangements for boarding should your tickets not arrive.

If your travel agent is willing/able to get that from Cunard, all the better. If not, and it were me, I would call Cunard directly until I was as reassured as I needed to be. IMHO, you have a right to satisfy your personal comfort level.

But also keep your eye on the ball and don't let this ruin anything: the chances of your actually having trouble getting on the ship are very small. You have an a memorable crossing ahead of you, and you can especially look forward to a motley crew of Cruise Critics welcoming you to New York harbor from a tourist boat at 6am on April 22nd. icon_smile.gif

Motley Crouton

Hi-

I faxed our group's info on 3/15 and as of 4/6 Cunard could not confirm they had gotten the forms. We are sailing on 5/7. I called my travel agent to help follow up on this but was surprised & disappointed about how poorly handled this process is. The "Voyage Information" was 24+ pages but really had little info. The guest registration form had lots of items that Cunard should have filled in such as Cabin#s & Club Membership. I am nervous about our group getting docs on time. Why is there such lag time in getting the data into their system? Thanks, Meg

Meg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mason525:

Hi-

I faxed our group's info on 3/15 and as of 4/6 Cunard could not confirm they had gotten the forms. We are sailing on 5/7. I called my travel agent to help follow up on this but was surprised & disappointed about how poorly handled this process is. The "Voyage Information" was 24+ pages but really had little info. The guest registration form had lots of items that Cunard should have filled in such as Cabin#s & Club Membership. I am nervous about our group getting docs on time. Why is there such lag time in getting the data into their system? Thanks, Meg

Meg<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the frustrations.

Once I faxed my Guest Registration Form to them, it was in the system within two days. Sounds like there was a screw up somewhere, or, since you're a large group (it sounds like) there may be a different process all together.

You didn't mention if you had faxed replacement forms. If it were me alone (not a large group) I would do so right away --then call Cunard within two days and double check that my information is in the system. In your case, I would just let the travel agent deal with the hassles.

(FYI, You can download Guest Registration Forms from the Cunard Website. Click "Voyage Planner" then "Guest Forms").

Since it takes approx two weeks or less for printing, you'll receive your tix approx 2 weeks before your 5/7 date if your info is in the system by tomorrow, April 9th, or shortly thereafter. So...give Cunard a call tomorrow for an update.

I happen to agree with you that the "Voyage Information" was weak. Just decide to have some fun gathering all the information you need about your sailing here, on this board.

Also, qm2reviews.com has Daily Programmes from an earlier QM2 cruise posted, and these will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Most of all, keep your eye on the ball: the new, wonderful incredible ship and adventure that awaits you!

I hope this helps.

Crouton

[This message was edited by Crouton on 04-09-04 at 02:51 AM.]

I am relieved to say that we received our airline and cruise tickets yesterday evening. However, our travel agent called Cunard on a daily, and twice daily basis to make this happen. In the end, since my Mom departs Tuesday to reach New York, which is our destination city, Cunard had to overnight all of our tickets. One wonders at the added expense that this entailed for Cunard, times as many passengers as this has happened to. One also must wonder what happens to passengers who book online or directly through Cunard who innocently think that their tickets are in the mail - when - guess what - they're not. Future passengers beware! If you haven't received your tickets from Cunard at least two weeks before you depart, call them and start making noise.

Shipping Out,

I'm glad you received your tickets. Remember: everything else will work out too. icon_wink.gif Bon voyage!

(FYI It's been my experience that Cunard sends out all tickets/docs via Airborne Express.)

Hollywood Heather:

Re-read the information on this thread and call Cunard and/or your travel agent ASAP to confirm status. From Cunard's perspective, a completed Guest Registration form is what gets the whole ticketing process started. That must be done.

Crouton

This issue of waiting to send tickets until the very last minute is a long-term Cunard policy, apparently. It has been a topic often on these Boards. The fact that they often send them Airborne is a sign that something is not right. I got mine at least 6 weeks after I send in my info.

Yoohoo, Cunard! Wake up and realize that getting tickets to passengers sooner than a week or two before sailing is a big concern to customers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The fact that they often send them Airborne is a sign that something is not right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a point, JudyJB.

I had just assumed that they did it for tracking, "gravitas," and to give themselves until the last possible moment to turnaround new bookings while cycling "one ship at a time."

In any event, I agree that it doesn't work well for passengers. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting my tickets two weeks before departure if I knew for certain that I was going to get them then.

I ended up calling to check because I felt "in limbo" after faxing my form (didn't hear a thing back from them). If they had generated an email confirmation of receipt of it and a resulting guaranteed delivery date etc, that would have worked for me.

Just my 2 pence...

Crouton

I agree, Crouton, that I wouldn't mind if I knew for sure I was getting them before I left. It is very nerve-wracking when you have made complicated plans that can't be changed and you don't get your tickets until the very last minute. The only good thing is I have not heard of anyone not getting them eventually, even if it is the night before departure.

Just a suggestion, be sure and print the form and take it with you. Also, when you get onboard check with the Cunard World Club representative at the future sales office and make sure she has your World Club number. In spite of having it on all of my paper work, they did not have this information in their database and I would have missed getting my pin and the party.

Also, just a reminder to SIGN THE CRUISE CRITIC VISITOR LOG IN THE LIBRARY. It is kept in a drawer at the librarian's desk. Have a great cruise!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Also, just a reminder to SIGN THE CRUISE CRITIC VISITOR LOG IN THE LIBRARY. It is kept in a drawer at the librarian's desk. Have a great cruise!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Log book? What are you talking about, cusyl?

(JUST KIDDING!!!! Keep reminding us as often as you want, cusyl. Your enthusiasm and dedication is wonderfully meaningful and contagious! icon_smile.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> JUST KIDDING!!!! Keep reminding us as often as you want, cusyl. Your enthusiasm and dedication is wonderfully meaningful and contagious! ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL icon_biggrin.gif Sorry to be such a nag, just don't want to see it "die on the vine" since it was started on the Maiden Voyage...another piece of history. Sure wish I was on that voyage with all of you!!!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I am glad you guys have brought this up. We are on the Oct 11th transatlantic, but are flying from Perth to New York a couple of weeks before that. I will make sure to keep a close eye on when our tickets come through.

Archived