Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Star Clippers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Money! Money! Money!

We are booked to go on the Star Clipper (Singapore to Phuket) on December 13. We have travelled a lot - Mexico and the Caribbean, and a couple of times to Europe - but this is just only our second cruise - the first was over 20 years ago! So we are cruise newbies...

What should we bring for money? We're bringing our credit cards. But should we purchase small amounts of Euros, Singapore dollars, Malaysian ringits and Thai bhats before we leave home? Or should we just assume that there will be lots of ATMs? Would travellers checks in US dollars be easy to exchange?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Also if this topic is covered on another board please redirect us to it. Thanks!

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

ATM's are everywhere. Get your local currency when you get to each country. I sail on Star Clipper next weekend (Nov. 22) and I'm only bringing a few left over euros, no baht or ringitt. And if you are going to Cambodia at some point on your trip they only take dollars.

Old November 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Travelers checks are virtually a thing of the past and in some places they are discounted very badly if they are even accepted.Sherry

Old November 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Susie and Mex for your answers. We feel more at ease...

Old November 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Before I leave home I now make sure i have lots of money in my checking account as I have used ATMs in other countries where I cannot get money from savings. The machines defaulted to withdrawals from checking. The first place I had trouble was Thailand. All the screens were in english except the important one. I finally got a local to help after a few days. I have also run into some in Morroco where you could simply not access savings.

Holland America, Noordam Collect0r Cruise, Caribbean
Grand Princess, Mexican West Coast, 9-17-13
Holland America, Veendam, Santiago to Buenos Aires, Antarctic, 1-10-13
Holland America, Ryndam, Barcelona, 10-4-12
Holland America, Westerdam, Alaska, 5-12-12
Island Princess, Panama Canal, 3-18-12
Ocean Princess, North Atlantic, 8-7-11 Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean, 4-3-11 Star Flyer, Panama Canal 10-31-10
Holland America, Zaandam, Mexican Riviera 03-02-10 Crown Princess, Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale, 10-23-09 Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean, 3-20-09 Holland America, Ryndam, Mexican Riviera 02/09 Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean (supposed to be Eastern, thanks Ike) 09/08 Dawn Princess, Mexican West Coast, 03/08 Star Flyer, Mediterranean, 10/07 Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera, 01/07 Empress of Canada, St Lawrence Seaway, 09/06 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean, 12/05 Dawn Princess, Alaska 06/04 Cruise West, Spirit of '98, Columbia River, 10/03 Cruise West, Temptress Explorer, Panama Canal 12/01 Cruise West, Sea of Cortez 12/00 Glacier Bay, Wilderness Discoverer, Alaska 06/00

Old February 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Money, Money, Money

Another thing I don't see mentioned. Alcohol on the Clippers is considerabley cheaper than on large cruise ships.

Old February 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default ATM use

Many ATM will only accept a 4 digit pin. Call your ATM bank and let them know when and where you are traveling.

You do not want to be overseas and have your ATM frozen because of unusal usage (overseas). Also call your Credit Card issuers.

MSEm

PS I agree Travelers checks are almost unless outside the USA.

Old February 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down prices are very high on drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiela View Post
Another thing I don't see mentioned. Alcohol on the Clippers is considerabley cheaper than on large cruise ships.
Disagree. Because drinks are priced in euros they are considerably more for Americans. We hardly had any alcohol on our recent Nov. '08 Phuket Star Clipper cruise because of the prices.

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default DRINKS on the STAR CLIPPER

We found that the drinks on the STAR CLIPPER were cheaper that on HAL or NCL. The wine was definately cheaper on the Star Clipper and was just a good with a wide selection from different countries.
Aug 09 Crown Princess
Feb 03/2010 Star clipper- Tahiti to Panama
Feb 03/2011 Rotterdam - San Diego to Lima, Peru

Old February 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Drinks

Have just returned from a week on Star Clipper in Thailand. Wine and beer was half the price on the Clipper as it was in the hotel in Phuket.