Tell me about the Pacific pearl

Drelix

I dont seem to be that excited about the cruise for some reason in feb

tell me everything you know about the ship to make me excited.

Hi Drelix,

Get excited!! I crossed from Auckland to Sydney on Pacific Pearl last June and will be doing it again in February. She is a great ship with some nice features, actually all her internal spaces were nice. On my crossing the swim up bar was closed - the Tasman in winter is hardly going to encourage swimers, but I reckon it is a nice idea and something different.

I reckon you will have a great time and you will enjoy her very much. Look forward to your comments when you come back!

Cheers,

Drelix

Have a read of some blog posts I wrote while onboard Pearl in July (2 day cruise to Tahiti)

After 6 months has elapsed since that cruise, I remember Pac Pearl with affection. It is not a "spectacular" ship and could be a disappointment for those who are always looking for the next WOW factor - but she is a comfortable ship that gave me every thing that I need from a cruiseship.

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com/2011/07/first-glimpse.html

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com/2011/07/early-assessment.html

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com/2011/07/points-of-difference.html

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com/2011/07/overall-assessment.html

Barry

Hi Drelix. Will be on your cruise. We did the same one last Feb. DH & I had a great time even though we missed 3 ports & went to Savu Savu because of cyclone in our way. Cabin (OV) deck10 was good. Love the walk in clothes area. Staff were great,food also. We had no problems except tendering was a bit slow but we were on holidays. Chose to go again & hope we get to the ports we missed. If we don't we will still be very happy cruises. The shows we saw were good & the hypmotist was excellent. Come and enjoy yourself. See you onboard. Suexxx

I dont seem to be that excited about the cruise for some reason in feb

tell me everything you know about the ship to make me excited.

Hi Drelix

You will have a fantastic time, I have heard some very good reports I wish I was going too.:D. I am excited already and I don't cruise on her until June.:)

You will love Pearly :D Dont worry, you would have to be very hard to please if you complained about this ship.... Fabulous ship.. Go and enjoy,,,, envious of you.. Fiona:)

Hi Fiona

I didn't know people called her 'Pearly' (it's a cute name). I have been calling her 'Maj' short for her original name 'Fair Majesty' but I like 'Pearly' better:).

OMG the Pacific Pearl has a nick name Pearly :D :p

Yes - there's Pearly -- then there's Dawny -- and then there's the Pacific Rhinestone!! (called that I understand - because it ain't no Jewel!! :rolleyes:)

Barry

Drelix, My partner and I had such a great time on Pacific Pearl. She's such a beautiful ship. We really enjoyed the entertainment staff (the CD and deputy CD are hilarious). The shows were fantastic! We also loved going to the Mix bar most evenings (before or after the 9pm show). I don't drink but my partner and a friend of ours would try the different cocktails and it was just a nice, relaxing atmosphere. And we would be entertained most evenings by Greg the piano player (he was on Canadian Idol a few years ago).

The swim up bar is a nice feature, The Dome was a great place to chill out during the day, the Waterfront Restaurant was very comfortable (very modern looking) and the food was delicious. We also enjoyed the buffet. Even though the ship was almost full, we never had any problems getting through the buffet line and always found somewhere to sit.

I would love to be in your position - I'd love to go on the Pearl again! You'll have a great time! :)

This cruise was a huge disappointment and I regret that I spent my New Years holiday on this ship.

First of all, the stops to the islands were disappointing as everything was overpriced or in no way exciting or novel. Souvenirs and little nothings that you can buy from $2 shops in New Zealand. In some of the stops, if you wanted to go to the nearby towns, an expensive taxi ride is required and there is nothing to be done where the ship is anchored.

The stop in Norfolk Island is a lie! As other reviewers have pointed out, this is a phantom stop as the ship always states that they cannot stop in the port because of weather conditions or some other excuse. It just so happens that my husband sailed for several years and knows a lot about ships, and knows that the excuses they offer to explain the fact that they couldn’t stop was nonsense. As another reviewer pointed out, some of the crew have never stopped in Norfolk and they have been with the ship for 4 years! You’d think that if they have difficulty every time with stopping in this port, they might try to find some other place they could stop, or at least stop advertising it!

The one thing with which they win the passengers is the food – huge amounts of all you can eat. But I guess the price you pay for the cruise covers all of that and more. Great if you want to put on several kgs.

Entertainment was laughable too – most people on the ship entertained themselves by drinking huge amounts of alcohol, because there was certainly nothing much else to do. The spa was incredibly crowded and if you wanted to go a bit later in the night, it was shut! Same with the swimming pool – FULL of kids during the day, but shut early, so you could never go and enjoy a swim without screaming children.

But the one thing that bothered me most was the fact that you could feel every single bloody wave. Considering the size of the ship, you shouldn’t be able to feel a 2m high wave. But in order to save petrol and drag on the time they only used 2 engines and a very slow speed. And as a result the ship pitched to bad, it made it hard to sleep or sometimes walk.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Ginaco :D

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good cruise :(

This cruise was a huge disappointment and I regret that I spent my New Years holiday on this ship.

First of all, the stops to the islands were disappointing as everything was overpriced or in no way exciting or novel. Souvenirs and little nothings that you can buy from $2 shops in New Zealand. In some of the stops, if you wanted to go to the nearby towns, an expensive taxi ride is required and there is nothing to be done where the ship is anchored.

Which islands did you go to??

Also when you say “the stops to the islands were disappointing as everything was overpriced or in no way exciting or novel” are we talking about the Souvenirs? The tours the ship offered / the locals offer??

That’s the only problem with living in NZ / Auckland is that you just need to go to the markets here in South Auckland and you can pick up many of the thing from the islands here and they can be much cheaper!

You don’t say which islands you went to but when we went up to the islands back in October 2010 and July 2011 we did not find that the taxis where expensive, but I know in Port Vila you got to be careful as some of them do try and rip you off.

The stop in Norfolk Island is a lie! As other reviewers have pointed out, this is a phantom stop as the ship always states that they cannot stop in the port because of weather conditions or some other excuse. It just so happens that my husband sailed for several years and knows a lot about ships, and knows that the excuses they offer to explain the fact that they couldn’t stop was nonsense. As another reviewer pointed out, some of the crew have never stopped in Norfolk and they have been with the ship for 4 years! You’d think that if they have difficulty every time with stopping in this port, they might try to find some other place they could stop, or at least stop advertising it! ]

I have said this before P&O should say Norfolk Island is a scenic cruise (with a note say that they could possible land there if the weather is right)

Also the Pacific Pearl has stop there at lest once, maybe twice, and have tried stopping there many times

Also what excuses did they say why they could not land there??

But the one thing that bothered me most was the fact that you could feel every single bloody wave. Considering the size of the ship, you shouldn’t be able to feel a 2m high wave. But in order to save petrol and drag on the time they only used 2 engines and a very slow speed. And as a result the ship pitched to bad, it made it hard to sleep or sometimes walk.

I think you may find if you looked at the distance between many of the islands you went to, they are not that far apart so the ship did not need to go very fast.

The stop in Norfolk Island is a lie! As other reviewers have pointed out, this is a phantom stop as the ship always states that they cannot stop in the port because of weather conditions or some other excuse. It just so happens that my husband sailed for several years and knows a lot about ships, and knows that the excuses they offer to explain the fact that they couldn’t stop was nonsense. As another reviewer pointed out, some of the crew have never stopped in Norfolk and they have been with the ship for 4 years! You’d think that if they have difficulty every time with stopping in this port, they might try to find some other place they could stop, or at least stop advertising it!

The one thing with which they win the passengers is the food – huge amounts of all you can eat. But I guess the price you pay for the cruise covers all of that and more. Great if you want to put on several kgs.

Entertainment was laughable too – most people on the ship entertained themselves by drinking huge amounts of alcohol, because there was certainly nothing much else to do. The spa was incredibly crowded and if you wanted to go a bit later in the night, it was shut! Same with the swimming pool – FULL of kids during the day, but shut early, so you could never go and enjoy a swim without screaming children.

I'm sorry that the cruise wasn't what you expected.

re the islands - I'm not sure what you were expecting and why you were disappointed. The only port I can think of where a taxi ride is required to get into town is Port Vila, but the cruiseline can hardly move either the wharf or the town centre to make them closer together. :) A taxi costs $15 to town and $10 back. I don't think that is expensive. It's a pity if you were conned into paying more, but people who read this board find out prices and what to do in each port before they go.

Norfolk Is - This has only been on P&O itinerary for around two years (not four years). I suspect it was added into the cruise calender to give some variety (people keep asking for new ports). Some cruises have managed to stop there, but it is a very exposed anchorage and requires a tender to take people ashore. For safety reasons ships won't use tenders if the seas are too rough.

As for finding somewhere else to stop, unfortunately no-one can manufacture new islands or new ports. The islands are not as developed as Aust or NZ and there is no point in going to out of the way places if there isn't anything to see or do there. Already they have many undeveloped stops - Mystery Is, Champagne Bay, Luganville, Emerald Bay (or Divine Is as it is sometimes called), Isle of Pines, Wala, Pentecost, Lifou (this is virtually undeveloped).

Entertainment - I usually find plenty to do, but it depends what activities are scheduled by the Cruise Director.

Kids - A New Years cruise will always have plenty of kids, although the numbers are strictly limited to a specific number in each age group. (You probably know this already). Whether the kids scream or not is up to their parents to control, the ship's crew can't do anything about it, but from my experience, when you add kids and water together, the result is screaming!:)

Movement of the ship - Maybe cruising isn't for you if you felt every 2m wave. Actually the ships don't use petrol. I haven't known them to cruise slower to save fuel, only to smooth out the ride in really rough seas. I can assure you that you would feel the movement even more. As you mentioned, your husband has experience with ships, so he has probably explained this to you.

Once again, I regret that your cruise wasn't what you expected. :(

If you cruised out of school hols there would be fewer kids; maybe a cruise at another time of year might have fewer people who drink a lot; cruising in other parts of the world might be exciting or novel (I won't suggest Aust/NZ cruises); an expensive cruiseline will have fewer kids, but there is likely to be less entertainment (I feel P&O has the most activities for pax).

I note this the OP's first post Perhaps if they had used cruisecritic and found out about the itinerary before they paid for this cruise he would not have been disappointed (just my thoughts):D

I agree with you. I did notice that it was her first post. If she had joined CC earlier she could have found out if they needed to get a taxi, what they would cost, how many children would be on a New Year's cruise, how often ships can land at Norfolk Is etc. etc. etc.

I feel that cruising isn't for the OP if she found it hard to walk in 2m seas. I have been in 10m seas a couple of times and it still wasn't 'hard to walk' although I had to take care on the stairs.:)

On that cruise I believe the swell was crashing over the pontoon at Norfolk Island, so I would think that would be a damn good excuse for them not to land. Even the customs boys couldn't get out to the ship. We have been twice on that itinerary and both times got onto the island. I think that poster would be miserable whatever they did.

Completely lost for words, which is unusual for me :rolleyes: Fiona

Sounds like Paciic Pearl is a great ship. I am going on her 7th February 2013 for my honeymoon. I can't wait! :):D

Pacific Pearl is a great ship and you will have the best time. The staff are just awesome.There is never enough time in the day to do everything that is offered. Every cruise I take a book and say I am going to find a quiet spot and read and relax. Out of all our cruises I have yet to even open it..:) Dont let 1 bad review spoil the lead up anticipation, the other 2000 people on a ship with 1 bad review probably had the best time just hasnt posted. Fiona:)

Sailed on Pacific Pearl last year and if I had of taken notice of the majority of posts and reviews I would not have had one of the most enjoyable cruises we have had to date. We read the cabins were noisey, the food terrible, the entertainment not up to professional standard, the MarqueeTheatre inadequate, the activities childish, the crew rude and not we trained ALL of these we found totally incorrect (perhaps with the exception of the sightlines upstairs in the theatre). Go like us with an open mind and you will enjoy the experience. It seems that like most things it is easier to be critical than to praise and that only bad news is what people want to hear. You WILL enjoy the Pearl:):):)

I have only ever had a few bad situations on board the Pacific Pearl and zero of them are caused by the ship or crew. First was our cabin got flooded by next door leaving their tap on with the plug in, but the crew rushed straight up to our room and sucked up all the water even though it was around midnight. The others are only cause by some idiots. The ship is wonderful one of the finest and the current production cast is one of the best we have had in all our cruises.

Archived