Which hotel in Vancouver

tarheelmjfan

We're booking our hotel add-on through Celebrity. I'm trying to decide between the Fairmont Waterfront, & the Fairmont on Georgia St. The Sutton Place hotel is also an option. Which Fairmont has a better location? Which of these hotels would you choose? Thanks again for all the help. :)

Last summer we stayed at Sutton Place prior to our cruise on the Infinity. The hotel is located in the heart of a great shopping district with a wide variety of restaurants nearby. The staff at the hotel was fantastic. Thanks to some awful air connections, our luggage never made the transfer in Toronto. CC/RCI ground staff at the airport were useless, a HAL rep came to our rescue, told us with whom to speak at Sutton Place. The hotel kept calling AC to locate the luggage, gave us extra personal care items, suggested we go out for the day, and they would do our worrying. Sutton Place is elegant. It has a classic restaurant and a great bar where we had the opportunity to chat with locals. The luggage was located and brought to our room close to midnight.

We have also stayed at Sheraton Wall Center, which is close to Sutton Place. Both of these hotels are a short cab ride to the waterfront.

The Fairmont Waterfront is across from Canada Place. I haven't been in that particular one, but have been at Delta Suites which is also close to the the waterfront area.

Darcy

Hi there! The Fairmont Waterfront has nice rooms (a little on the small side), right across from the cruiseship terminal with a few nice restaurants in the area and walking distance to Gastown (tourist area). The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a beautiful old classic hotel, right across from the art gallery and one block away from Robson St. (shopping/restaurants). Rooms are quite large, lots of atmosphere. The Sutton Place is very european in feel. All of the rooms were just refurbished, excellent restaurant (don't miss the chocolate buffet) and good bar area. Service is really outstanding. They are right around the corner from Robson St. as well. Before we moved here, I had stayed at all 3, my favourite though was the Sutton for service, followed by the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver for atmosphere. It's nice to be in the Robson st. area for shopping and restaurants either pre or post cruise. Hope this helps and enjoy your stay in Vancouver. wendy

Wendy (and other Vancouver residents): Our cruise ends in Vancouver and DW and I plan to spend a fews days in the city, post-cruise. I am a member of a club which has reciprocity with The Vancouver Club. Looks like a nice place, judging by its website. It is at 915 West Hastings Street. Is that a good location? It looks failrly close to the cruise ship terminal. Any comments?

Wendy (and other Vancouver residents): Our cruise ends in Vancouver and DW and I plan to spend a fews days in the city, post-cruise. I am a member of a club which has reciprocity with The Vancouver Club. Looks like a nice place, judging by its website. It is at 915 West Hastings Street. Is that a good location? It looks failrly close to the cruise ship terminal. Any comments?

I've never seen a room at the Vancouver Club, but everything about the club itself if very classy and very exclusive. (My office is right across the street). I don't think you could go wrong, and the location if just fine.

Thanks for all the input. I already looked into the chocolate buffet, but it isn't offered the days we will be there. :( We aren't really into shopping. None of us enjoy it. The only thing I always shop for on vacation, is blown glass Christmas ornaments. I like to collect one from every place we visit. We would like to be close to the attractions. We particularly enjoy shows, such as comedy, historical, etc. I have read that the Dragon Parade will be going on when we're there. Which hotel will that be closest to? The Fairmont Waterfront is a little more expensive. Mostly because they charge for our 13 yo. son, & the other Fairmont doesn't. We're willing to pay the difference for a better experience. Oh yeah, we enjoy great restaurants & unique dinner shows, so we would love recommendations for those. I thought I would add that our son is a music junkie. All suggestions appreciated.:)

We stayed at the Sutton Place post cruise after the Summit this past July for two night...

Not only would I recommend it, whenever I go back to Vancouver for whatever reason, I'm staying there...

I don't think there is a better location in all of Vancouver...especially if you're there without a car...

It is right at the intersection of Burrard and Robson...Burrard is pretty much the main street of Downtown Vancouver...and Robson is Vancouver's great walking/shopping street...Also, Robson has an incredible choice of Restaurants...Everything you could want is within a short walk of the hotel...

The hotel itself has a certain Old World elegance...Our rooms were quite ample and beautifully furnished...

Needless to say, we were very pleased...

Hi Bengoshi! Haven't been in the rooms at the Vancouver Club but have attended many functions there. It is a great location, very beautiful building, wonderful service. It would be hard to go wrong! Enjoy!

Vancouver is not that big of a dinner theatre town but for other fun things to do; there is a new attraction in Gastown called Storyeum that has been getting good reviews. History with live action shows. Vancouvertrolley.com offers city tours on trolley cars very fun, they go through Stanley Park etc. While you are in Stanley Park don't miss the totems and my nieces love the Aquarium. Science World is also fun for the family (interactive exhibits), Imax theatre etc. There is also another IMAX above the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place. On Granville Island (food, shopping, arts etc.) there is always live entertainment on the weekends as well as the Arts Club Theatre Revue Stage and Theatre Sports. If you let me know your dates I can tell you what will be playing on the Revue Stage, Theatre Sports is improv (very funny). If you are feeling adventureous, Capilano Suspension Bridge or the Skyride up Grouse Mountain(amazing views/hiking trails/restaurant up top). There is also a wonderful Chinatown (2nd largest in North America).

I love this city and have really enjoyed living here. The tourism Vancouver website is vancouvertourism.com. Enjoy your stay! wendy

Thanks for all the great suggestions. :) Our cruise ends on June 19th, & we plan to stay 3 nights. We would love Theatre Sports. I looked up their site, & they're not open at the beginning of the week. Our 1st day is Sunday. Does the schedule change in the summer? We are interested in any kind of shows, especially comedy. DH & DS also love going to concerts, etc. I haven't heard of the Revue Stage before. More info., please. :D I'm not very adventurous when it comes to heights. I'm extremely acrophobic! :eek:

Looks like choosing a hotel may be harder than I thought. People seem to like the Fairmont Waterfront & Sutton Place equally.

Thanks again for all the help, & the much needed suggestions. :)

Looks like choosing a hotel may be harder than I thought. People seem to like the Fairmont Waterfront & Sutton Place equally.

You can't go wrong with either one. The Sutton Place is probably a bit more centrally located because it's a block off Robson, but you can't beat the view from the Waterfront if you get a high room.

I love the Fairmont Vancouver and have stayed there a number of times. It is a beautiful historic hotel that has been kept up to date without loosing its charm and the service has always been gracious. Even if you aren't into shopping (and I'm not), it is nice to be near Robson street because of all the dining opportunities there.

The Hyatt is diagionally across the intersection from the Hotel Vancouver and is also very nice though it lacks the historic/regional charm. I've stayed there and been very happy with the room and service.

Last month I discovered the food court in the shopping mall basement area of the office block attached to the Hyatt (you can enter from the street or from the Hyatt lobby). The deli there is wonderful, very fresh gourmet food, good prices. The whole food court there seemed a step above the usual in quality and variety.

Hi Bengoshi! Haven't been in the rooms at the Vancouver Club but have attended many functions there. It is a great location, very beautiful building, wonderful service. It would be hard to go wrong! Enjoy!

Vancouver is not that big of a dinner theatre town but for other fun things to do; there is a new attraction in Gastown called Storyeum that has been getting good reviews. History with live action shows. Vancouvertrolley.com offers city tours on trolley cars very fun, they go through Stanley Park etc. While you are in Stanley Park don't miss the totems and my nieces love the Aquarium. Science World is also fun for the family (interactive exhibits), Imax theatre etc. There is also another IMAX above the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place. On Granville Island (food, shopping, arts etc.) there is always live entertainment on the weekends as well as the Arts Club Theatre Revue Stage and Theatre Sports. If you let me know your dates I can tell you what will be playing on the Revue Stage, Theatre Sports is improv (very funny). If you are feeling adventureous, Capilano Suspension Bridge or the Skyride up Grouse Mountain(amazing views/hiking trails/restaurant up top). There is also a wonderful Chinatown (2nd largest in North America).

I love this city and have really enjoyed living here. The tourism Vancouver website is vancouvertourism.com. Enjoy your stay! wendy

You've really given lots of things to do. I recommend all of your suggestions, but recommend seeing Grouse Mountain - the view of the city is spectacular. Here's a link to their website: http://www.grousemountain.com The mountain really is only 15 min. from downtown hotels.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency post cruise for a couple of nights and found it within walking distance to all the attractions we wanted to see. We generally stay at Hyatt's and are not disapointed.

Hi tarheelmjfan! The website for the arts club is artsclub.com. Also while you are here the Shakespeare festival "Bard on the Beach" is on. It is set in Vanier Park, overlooking the water in a big tent that is open behind the actors. You can buy picnic dinners etc. Website for that is bardonthebeach.org. Let me know if I can help with anything else. wendy

We loved the Sutton Place Hotel. Our room was lovely; the *large* bathroom was really elegant; the staff was very professional. It's in a very walkable area. After spending hrs sitting in a miniature seat on an airplane, it was great to walk around. There are loads of nice restaurants close by. We didn't buy much (sent smoked salmon to my folks), but it was a great people-watching, strolling-around area.

And one more positive: there's a Dennys across the street for a cheap breakfast the morning of departure. We used the opportunity to empty all our Canadian coins for the tip.

I am returning to Vancouver for a convention fall 2005. I was disappointed to learn that the S/P is not one of the convention hotels. I'd hoped to be able to stay there again.

M/R

We stayed on Granville Island at the Granville Island Hotel....right on the waterfront.....neat village atmosphere....walk to restaurants...and once we learned our way off the "Island" piece of cake to get everywhere!!! Stayed a couple of days after the cruise!

Make sure you take a water taxi tour.....you don't have to get off.

Lou

Hi, wolfpup mentioned the Sheraton Wall Centre. That is where we booked for the night prior to our Infinity Cruise at the end of August. I have heard good reviews about this Hotel, including great views and great Beds! We got it via Hotwire for $93 per night. Thought that was pretty good for a 4 star. Anybody else stay there?

Archived