Family Suite or 2 Cabins?

boilermaker330

My husband and I are taking our daughter (age 14) and her friend (age 15) on a cruise. We booked 2 cabins--an outside for us and an inside right across the hall for the girls. I did some research and we can get a Family Suite right now with some great promotions included. Trying to decide if we want to change our reservation. It would be in a suite, which would offer more amenities and room overall. Plus, we could keep a closer eye on the girls. BUT, then again, we would all be sharing one space and one bathroom with 2 teenage girls. I'm not sure that would be good for my sanity! Any advice from those who have traveled with teens? One suite or two cabins?

My husband and I are taking our daughter (age 14) and her friend (age 15) on a cruise. We booked 2 cabins--an outside for us and an inside right across the hall for the girls. I did some research and we can get a Family Suite right now with some great promotions included. Trying to decide if we want to change our reservation. It would be in a suite, which would offer more amenities and room overall. Plus, we could keep a closer eye on the girls. BUT, then again, we would all be sharing one space and one bathroom with 2 teenage girls. I'm not sure that would be good for my sanity! Any advice from those who have traveled with teens? One suite or two cabins?

Just realized you didn't mention the cruiseline. On RCI the royal family suites have two baths (essential with teenage girls) and quite a bit of privacy.

Just been going through the same equation but with an older daughter than yours, it will depend on the ship, some ships you will get more space, and yes two bathrooms in the family suite with a much better location and a balcony.

On some ships the family suites are configured so they can [and at times do] sell them as two separate cabins, in that case it's a no brainer.

What I'd suggest is have a good look at the deck plan and see what impact it is going to have on your privacy if you are sharing with two teenagers, both for them and you and DH.

Some families would hate sharing that closely others would find it no trouble, that call is one only you can make.

Just realized you didn't mention the cruiseline. On RCI the royal family suites have two baths (essential with teenage girls) and quite a bit of privacy.

Yes-sorry. The cruiseline is NCL. The 2 bedroom family suites are already sold out. The option is an open floor plan family suite with one bathroom. I think I am leaning toward the 2 separate cabins for the very reason you mentioned. Sharing a bathroom with 2 teenage girls is a recipe for disaster!

I hate to give up the great promotions that are being offered with the suite right now--dining and drink packages as well as a $300 OBC, but...

This is how we worked it when DD had a friend and we stayed in an inside:eek:

DH and I would come in to get ready for dinner, they were given a time to return to the cabin. We would be dressed and ready for dinner, vacate cabin to lounge for a drink before dinner as girls showered and dressed for dinner. They always came in later than us, so they would have their "pajamas" strategically placed in bathroom, and would change in there. We had our am clothing stragegically placed in BR and showered and changed, and were long gone before they were up. They are still friends, and we still remain friends with their parents;) I think it on the friend. Our girls were used to camping and tight quarters so it was no big deal.

Edited by topspot