New Premium Internet & Music Streaming

Jasalth

Hello all! Hoping for some experiences of anyone who has been on a ship with the new Premium Internet for the $25 pd.

One thing my special needs son has to have is his music. It is his anchor to when he gets really to anxious. My original plan was to load up his phone, my phone, DH's phone, and an old iPhone we use as an MP3 player now for his music so there is no worry about dead batteries or lack of access.

Has anyone gotten the new internet plan and streamed music? It says the value plan you can't, but the premium doesn't say that. Pandora, Spotfy, Amazon, iTunes Match anything at all and how did it perform?

TIA!

Edited by Jasalth

It's not going to work anywhere and everywhere though.

Some spots will get great wifi access, some will get spotty, some will get none.

This is true! I have had it for a week now on the Sunshine. I started with the Social $25 plan which is great if all you want to do is Facebook Messenger and the other apps it provides. But for email and surfing you need the $60 Value plan. I have not streamed music. I think it works great but there are times you may lose the signal or it may be slower but it still works great most of the time. One thing I discovered was we were docked next to the Glory today in Grand Turk and it was trying to sign me onto their system - I had to fiddle with it to get what I was signed up for. It's great if you have more than one device as you can use it on as many as you want - one at a time - when you login to a different device it gives you the option to sign off on the previous one. Bottom line - very happy with the price. As for music - what website would you use? I know it won't allow Netflix or Hulu but it seems like I read some of the music websites were not allowed but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else knows.

Hello all! Hoping for some experiences of anyone who has been on a ship with the new Premium Internet for the $25 pd.

One thing my special needs son has to have is his music. It is his anchor to when he gets really to anxious. My original plan was to load up his phone, my phone, DH's phone, and an old iPhone we use as an MP3 player now for his music so there is no worry about dead batteries or lack of access.

Has anyone gotten the new internet plan and streamed music? It says the value plan you can't, but the premium doesn't say that. Pandora, Spotfy, Amazon, iTunes Match anything at all and how did it perform?

TIA!

This might help answer your questions:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/internetcafe_wireless.htm

I wouldn't trust the ship's Internet for streaming music. Having an old phone or a dedicated mp3 player loaded with music would be your best bet.

Do NOT rely on being able to stream. Consider a service like Spotify where you can get access to lots of music, both streaming and more importantly here, offline.

For battery life, I would make sure you have a couple of chargers ready to go like one of these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Astro-Lipstick-Sized-Portable-Technology/dp/B005X1Y7I2

Good luck!