Bus to Nelson Dockyard

Nana57

• 4 weeks later...
If we take the bus #17 to Nelson Dockyard does this same bus go to Shirley Heights. Also, does this bus go to any beaches along the way back?

Bus 17 does not go to Shirley Heights. From my research you would have to take a taxi. This bus does not stop at beaches. We plan to go to the Dockyard for a few hours, bus back to the main station and then take Bus 22 to Valley Church beach. I am seeing that the Dockyard may not open until 9. our ship comes in at 7! I have seen a map of the bus routes here somewhere but did not copy the link. Maybe a google search will turn it up. Have fun! Shirley Heights is beautiful!

Lauri

One suggestion combining the #17 bus with a beach is to hike the short Goat Trail (aka Middle Ground Trail) from Nelsons Dockyard (Fort Berkeley side) to Pigeon beach (about 25 minutes, but over a small hill). It's an interesting trail, and a lovely beach. Then you can walk back along the road (15 minutes). I have attached some pictures taken earlier this year so you get the idea.

2b730d.jpg

a4779e.jpg

7df81b.jpg

7ff715.jpg

Edited by cruiseathon

can you get a bus once you get off of pigeon beach or do you have to walk back to the dockyard? And is this the beach that is close to Pillars of Hercules or is it Galleon beach?

Edited by jean87510

http://www.busstopanu.com/BusStops/BusStops.html

Here is a link to a map with all the bus stops in Antigua. Once you get your bearings as to the general direction you are going, you can see where the dockyard is and all the stops along the way.

I am unable to find Pigeon Beach but wonder if it is the Sandy stretch just down from where the big yachts are parked. Galleon is across the water from the Dockyard. I heard you can snorkel the Pillars of Hercules when you are at Galleon but I think you have to be a great swimmer to get there. Can anyone confirm that?

When is your cruise jean87510? I have until Feb to figure this all out!

lauri

here is some great info from antigua nice.com. Definitely no bus routes to Pigeon Beach.

This hike is full of history as well as heights. It is a circular walk which can start anywhere from Pigeon Beach to Nelson's Dockyard and in between. Base your start point on where you want to finish, for example sit at a bar in Nelson's Dockyard and watch the yachts go by, take a dip in the waters of Pigeon Beach and grab a rum and coke at Bumpkins for sunset, or drink a seriously good coffee at Seabreeze then make them your start points.

Wherever you start, head to the Dockyard, and when you reach the Copper and Lumber Store Hotel walk down to the marina front, and head right towards the water taxi pier. You will see a sign saying Fort Berkley. Walk around the wall, take the steps and follow the track down to Fort Berkley. At the Fort you will get catch some beautiful views across to Galleon Beach, The Pillars of Hercules and back towards the Dockyard and English Harbour. With the cannon still sitting guard over the harbour, you can understand why this was chosen as one of the British Army outposts, Come back along the fort and take a left by the sign for Middle Ground, and at this point start following the white painted spots on rocks, or bands on trees (maintained by the Royal Naval Tot Club). You will then come to Middle Grounds where sits the Keane's or one gun battery and Middle Ground Barracks, and further on along the trail Fort Culyer, with an excellent view over the entrance to Falmouth Harbour. Along the ridge you also get beautiful views of the coast line and Windward Beach.

That hike sounds great, I was there this march but was just wandering around the dockyards, but I might return this new year with my parents and at least my dad would like to have a little walk. My mum we could "park" in one of the restaurants/cafés where she can look at the nice yachts.

Note: For public bus lovers like myself, there are two busstations in St.Johns; bus 17 departs from the one which is closer to the pier (and even if you know where to look, you can see it from the ship. it's right beside the bay shore)

I copied this from an old thread. My cruise is 11/1/14, 14 days, 7 islands...:)

Pillars of Hercules

How to get to it from Nelson’s dockyard Wherever you start, head to the Dockyard, and when you reach the Copper and Lumber Store Hotel walk down to the marina front, and head right towards the water taxi pier. You will see a sign saying Fort Berkley. Walk around the wall, take the steps and follow the track down to Fort Berkley. At the Fort you will get catch some beautiful views across to Galleon Beach, The Pillars of Hercules and back towards the Dockyard and English Harbour. With the cannon still sitting guard over the harbour, you can understand why this was chosen as one of the British Army outposts, Come back along the fort and take a left by the sign for Middle Ground, and at this point start following the white painted spots on rocks, or bands on trees (maintained by the Royal Naval Tot Club). You will then come to Middle Grounds where sits the Keane's or one gun battery and Middle Ground Barracks, and further on along the trail Fort Culyer, with an excellent view over the entrance to Falmouth Harbour. Along the ridge you also get beautiful views of the coast line and Windward Beach.

For all of the hikes in this area we advise wearing good footwear, either trainers or lightweight walking boots, anything with a good sole. There are a lot of tree rovots along the track especially lower down on the hill, which are easy to get a foot caught in, and in the dry season, the tracks can be slippy. Generally in the area there are also many Acacia trees with spines of over an inch long in some cases. They can pierce straight through a trainer sole into your foot, so require immediate removal! Always take drinking water, and we advise walking either early morning or late afternoon as the heat gets very intense between 10.00 am and 3..00 pm. It is also advisable to wear a hat.

Galleon beach A quarter mile stretch of golden sand with calm waters and good a snorkelling reef 75ft offshore. Galleon Beach is situated at Freeman's Bay in English Harbour on the southern tip of Antigua in the heart of the National Park. The surrounding area is a beautiful blend of white sandy beaches, rolling hills, tropical vegetation, marine life, nautical atmosphere, and historical sites.

A short hike to the left of the bay around the point will take you to the Pillars of Hercules. The Pillars stand at the end of Charlotte Point guarding the entrance to Freeman's Bay and English Harbour. These are natural geological rock formations carved by wind, rain and the sea. Unfortunately they can only really be appreciated when viewed from the sea.

If you love to walk, there are two trails accessed from the road leading into the Galleon Beach Resort - The Jones Valley Trail and the Lookout Trail. Taking either trail will take you up to points along the road to Shirley Heights lookout, and for an alternative walk down, the Carpetners Rock Trail takes you down the other side of the road and out over the ocean with stunning views of the coast line. Or you could take a water taxi for $5 a piece.

This area is an absolute gem. You have calm, crystal clear water, a nice beach and a shipwreck teeming with fish. Not everyone is aware of the ship sitting in 15 feet in the middle of the bay. You have to go clear to the left beyond the resort. There is a trail leading to a secluded beach on the other side of some rocks. This beach is littered with sea glass for those who like to collect it. You have easy access into the water and can snorkel out to the shipwreck, around the rocks on the left, or out beyond the barrier rocks to the Pillars of Hercules. We snorkeled at all the recommended spots such as Half Moon Bay and Long Bay, but Galleon Beach has them beat. We saw huge schools of Blue Tang, a school of squid, a stingray, a large moray eel, and absolutely thousands of fish.

link on cruise critic with more detail...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-1388348.html

Description to walk to the busstation:

To Bus stop:

From the dock, you walk straight -- Keep going straight to Market Street and turn right. Then it's a short walk and you'll come to a fork in the road where you bear right (there's an enormous sculpture at that fork, you can't miss it). There is also the big public marketplace. Once past the fork you'll come to the bus station on the right. Some posters have described this walk as going through "seedy" areas. If you have ever lived in any metropolitan area or ventured out at all this area is not seedy; it's just 'real life.' Only danger is the uneven sidewalks. I would not recommend for anyone not physically fairly fit/active due to the uneveness of the roads and the fact that it is a good 10+ minute walk.

It's not any more a sculpture of a fork but a sculpture of "the father of the nation" but you still can't miss it, it's a big head.

Here's a picture of the big statue mentioned. It's a useful landmark. (The sculpture is of VC Bird, the first prime minister of Antigua ). When we arrived at the bus station we just asked a bystander where to catch the #17, and within seconds we had joined a bunch of chatty and very friendly locals in a small minivan, which took off straight away.

yicH5t.jpg

Edited by cruiseathon

wow! I won't be able to miss that landmark :D I love when people post pictures. I have binders for each island with photos and this really helps.

Yeah and right behind the white builduing you see on the right side of the picture you'll find the bus station!