Caulker or Goff caye ??

bigmommairb

We need help deciding which one for snorkeling? It will be me, husband and our 4 kids (ages 1, 7, 9, 10). Baby will not snorkel so one adult will be with him. 7 yr old might chicken out. Other 2 are very strong swimmers and have snorkeled many times. Which place is best for our situation?? Caye caulker sounds and looks neat.... But from what I read, goff caye you snorkel from shore? That might be better for us???

Any tour group recommendations??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went to Caulker a little while back with the dreaded Coral Breeze. It is quite a long ride. The snorkeling was good but when we were there the current was very strong, not very safe for kiddos ,at least not that day. IMO your second choice of Goff's would be much wiser..A lot of people rave about Caulker Caye itself, but to us it was not a big deal, and if snorkeling is your main goal I would choose a shorter trip. Have fun. Photos from Caulker.

SANY2384.jpg

free upload

SANY2386.jpg

upload images

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Definitely Goff's for off the beach snorkeling. CC is a neat spit to walk and have drinks at Lazy LIzard and snorkel off the pier but we would choose Goff's in your situation.

The best option (in our opinion) was through the ship if offered. That removes the need to tender into port as they pick you up and drop you right at the ship. YOu can then tender into port after the excursion if you'd like.

Great day, we bought some very nice carvings from a venddor who boats out there, and Goff's little beach is gorgeous too! :)

• 2 months later...

So what kind of snorkeling is there at the pier? What all is there to do there at Caye Caulker? I hear a lot of people talk about the place and we will have a stop there with our tour and I was just wondering what there is to do there. Is there a beach too? :confused:

So what kind of snorkeling is there at the pier? What all is there to do there at Caye Caulker? I hear a lot of people talk about the place and we will have a stop there with our tour and I was just wondering what there is to do there. Is there a beach too? :confused:

Hi Mitsugirly,

Are you taking the shark alley excursion and having lunch on CC, or taking another excursion where you'll spend more time on CC?

We went to CC with the intention of just sightseeing and enjoying a few hours at the Lazy Lizard. We did not snorkel there but others did. The current is somewhat swift at the Split and I don't know if the snorkeling is any good there. Most ppl go there to lime and take in the view.

We're considering returning to CC or AC for a longer visit and found some helpful info on TA, I'll post a link shortly to one couples trip report which may answer your beach and snorkel questions.

Hi Mitsugirly,

Are you taking the shark alley excursion and having lunch on CC, or taking another excursion where you'll spend more time on CC?

We went to CC with the intention of just sightseeing and enjoying a few hours at the Lazy Lizard. We did not snorkel there but others did. The current is somewhat swift at the Split and I don't know if the snorkeling is any good there. Most ppl go there to lime and take in the view.

We're considering returning to CC or AC for a longer visit and found some helpful info on TA, I'll post a link shortly to one couples trip report which may answer your beach and snorkel questions.

We are going to do the shark ray alley tour and then it says you'll spend some time a CC to have lunch and lounge around or explore (which made it sound like we may have a little bit of time to snorkel instead). So I just thought I would ask. I know absolutely nothing about CC and want to try to make the most of that day. Although, I may have had enough snorkeling and being in the water that day by the time we get there, but want to be prepared. :D

CC isn't famous for its beaches, and re-reading reviews I see the snorkeling is recommended off shore and not off the beaches.

But the Lazy Lizard is a 10 min stroll or 3 min golf cart taxi from the ferry dock and it's a great spot to stare and enjoy a Lizard Juice or whatever they are.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from Belize and booked Goff's key independently. I think if conditions were right, it would be a very nice day. However, it was really windy and choppy. All the ship excursions were cancelled. Our boat went, but it took 50 minutes to get there instead of 25. It was much too rough to snorkel from shore, so the boat took us out to the reef and we had to jump off the side. My DD9 is an experienced snorkeler, but I knew it was too rough for her. My husband just stayed on the island with her. My older daughter and I snorkeled, but it was not good at all. The guide told us that there was awesome snorkeling around the other side of the island, but it was too rough to go there.

The water around the island is crystal clear. Although we did not have a good day at all - I think on a calm day, it could be really nice.

We used Island Marketing - great group of guys! They actually saved someone's life on our excursion. A man jumped off the boat with his snorkel in his mouth and took in A LOT of sea water. He went limp in the water. They all drug him back on the boat and he had a seizure and quit breathing. They immediately started CPR and rushed back to land. They returned for us and told us they got him breathing and took him to the hospital.

We are going to do the shark ray alley tour and then it says you'll spend some time a CC to have lunch and lounge around or explore (which made it sound like we may have a little bit of time to snorkel instead). So I just thought I would ask. I know absolutely nothing about CC and want to try to make the most of that day. Although, I may have had enough snorkeling and being in the water that day by the time we get there, but want to be prepared. :D

The shark ray alley tour to Caulker Cay that I took a few years back consisted of leaving from the port where the tenders dropped us off to the reef fringing Caulker Cay. Spent maybe 45 minutes over some very nice coral and saw lots of fish.....this site was almost as good as the original Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro (Isla Bonita). Then we went to a sandy shallow expanse where they lured nurse sharks and rays to the boat with squid. I was standing in waist high water as they went for the bait through around and behind my legs. Maybe 1/2 hr at this site, then off to a restaurant on the isle where we had lunch, prob chicken and rice and beans. After lunch, maybe another 1/2 hr of free time to wander, shop or wade/swim in the water. Don't think anyone from my party of 8 went snorkeling from the shore. After that, back to the pier and a ride on the tender back to the ship. This was a private excursion, and could very well have been Coral Breeze.

Edited by evandbob

We just returned from Belize and booked Goff's key independently. I think if conditions were right, it would be a very nice day. However, it was really windy and choppy. All the ship excursions were cancelled. Our boat went, but it took 50 minutes to get there instead of 25. It was much too rough to snorkel from shore, so the boat took us out to the reef and we had to jump off the side. My DD9 is an experienced snorkeler, but I knew it was too rough for her. My husband just stayed on the island with her. My older daughter and I snorkeled, but it was not good at all. The guide told us that there was awesome snorkeling around the other side of the island, but it was too rough to go there.

The water around the island is crystal clear. Although we did not have a good day at all - I think on a calm day, it could be really nice.

sorry you had a bad day, it is a nice spot to snorkel from. We enjyed our best days on Goff, and the beach is fabulous