Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan

Charbecca

Nervous first post....... :o

I was looking for advice on getting from the Brooklyn cruise terminal to our hotel in Manhattan. With 5 in our group I didn't know if it was best to pre-book 2 cabs or just get a couple on arrival outside.

I wasn't sure how much difference there would be on price, convenience of transfer and how quickly the process is for getting off QM2 and away in your transfer.

First QM2 trip for all of us.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Apologies for any faux pas.

I was looking for advice on getting from the Brooklyn cruise terminal to our hotel in Manhattan. With 5 in our group I didn't know if it was best to pre-book 2 cabs or just get a couple on arrival outside.

I wasn't sure how much difference there would be on price, convenience of transfer and how quickly the process is for getting off QM2 and away in your transfer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I would suggest that you booked a van/minibus to take you all. Cabs are scarce at Redhook. I always use and would recommend Arecibo who are reliable http://www.arecibocc.com is their site and phone +1 (718) 783-6465 or +1 (855) 428 0222

I agree with the above advice from the Capn. We arrived at Red Hook with our family of seven people and their van was perfect. You might call them before you go to breakfast the morning you arrive and give them the time that you will be off, have gone through immigration and will be outside. It's not cheap but, if you can split the cost with others, it's very convenient.

The place that the vans pick up passengers is to the left as you walk out of the terminal, not directly in front. There is a waiting area with some covered seating.

Sign up for Uber ( if you are new they will give you $30 credit free) and call a SUV driver which will collect you in less than 10 minutes. Not only will you get a nicer ride but you will save money!

My reservation about using Uber stems from them being regular cars and drivers and Uber doesn't supply or insist upon Hire for Reward Liability insurance. The normal auto insurers wouldn't entertain any claims under those circumstances. Their rates are good as are those of Arecibo and I find that the vehicles used by Arecibo to be acceptable.

Uber is an 18 billion dollar company , offers drivers pre insured & cheap leased luxury cars, offer normal NYC cabs in Brooklyn and comply with all local law's. The insurance statement you make is a tactic used by the "haters" to try and drive people away from Uber but if you check it out correctly you will see drivers are correctly covered and underwritten by Ubers insurers direct

I use Uber weekly From London to NYC to San Fran etc and everywhere in between and from a security perspective its great when arriving in a new city when you are worried the locals may rip you off.

I know that they are a large company but so were Enron :)

I know a guy in Atlanta who started driving for Uber and he was driving on his own regular auto insurance. I'm not a hater at all and am delighted that you are comfortable using their services.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Don't be nervous, we don't all bite. :)

We have used a few companies for transfers Arecibo included...who were very good. I would however suggest that you ask your hotel concierge to organise this for you, l am travelling out to NY soon and my hotel have been spot on with this.

Judy

Edited by MsDeva

I'm sure the OP doesn't wish to become embroiled in such arguments about transfers and their ability to deliver.....a simple question was asked...on a nervous first post too.

Just saying

Don't be nervous, we don't all bite. :)

We have used a few companies for transfers Arecibo included...who were very good. I would however suggest that you ask your hotel concierge to organise this for you, l am travelling out to NY soon and my hotel have been spot on with this.

Judy

Problem is that the planned journey is from the ship to the hotel :)

I'm sure the OP doesn't wish to become embroiled in such arguments about transfers and their ability to deliver.....a simple question was asked...on a nervous first post too.

Just saying

And it was answered, the rest is just discussion.

Welcome aboard, Charbecca.

Once you collect your luggage in the terminal, look for a porter. They'll pile your stuff on a large cart, and you'll skip the big line for customs and immigration. We understood they want the porters to go trough as quickly as possible, and they took us to a short line to one side. A $10 tip per cart or porter is good, more if you wish. Our guy took us out to the waiting area.

• 2 weeks later...
Sign up for Uber ( if you are new they will give you $30 credit free) and call a SUV driver which will collect you in less than 10 minutes. Not only will you get a nicer ride but you will save money!

I will be disembarking QM2 on September 27 at BCT. I too like Uber, but wonder how best to time the request. Will be PG.

You should try Dial 7.com. They are a very large operation. You can book by email with your particulars and they will send you a confirmation. The the van (you'll need a van) will be there at the time you request. On board you'll have a better idea of when you'll be off; you can call them by mobile once you're docked-but you cannot use your mobile until you are through Immigration (they get shirty). Enjoy your crossing and my town. :D

You should try Dial 7.com. They are a very large operation. You can book by email with your particulars and they will send you a confirmation. The the van (you'll need a van) will be there at the time you request. On board you'll have a better idea of when you'll be off; you can call them by mobile once you're docked-but you cannot use your mobile until you are through Immigration (they get shirty). Enjoy your crossing and my town. :D

Hi canoncruiser. I haven't heard that passengers where not allowed to use their cell phone until they are through Immigration. Is that something new? Something doesn't seem quite right about that:confused:

Problem is that the planned journey is from the ship to the hotel :)

We have used a hotel's recommended service from an airport to a hotel. On a recent trip (not NYC), after we made our booking, the hotel contacted us to ask if we wanted them to book reservations in their restaurants or spa, or arrange a car service for us to their hotel. We used their car service and it was very convenient.

Hi canoncruiser. I haven't heard that passengers where not allowed to use their cell phone until they are through Immigration. Is that something new? Something doesn't seem quite right about that:confused:

That is not a new rule, but it's harder to enforce in the vast space of a cruise terminal. When we fly in from another country, we've noticed the "no cell phone" signs while we're in the Immigration line. At Newark Airport, I've seen agents tell people in line to end their calls.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

For as long as I can remember and certainly since 1986 there have been signs all over the immigration halls in the USA prohibiting the use of cameras, cell phones were added a few years later. You may not have noticed as you don't have to stand for hours in the line waiting.

For as long as I can remember and certainly since 1986 there have been signs all over the immigration halls in the USA prohibiting the use of cameras, cell phones were added a few years later. You may not have noticed as you don't have to stand for hours in the line waiting.

Sorry to hear about the long wait.

Is there a rule against cameras and cell phones at border control in the UK? We've stood in line for ages at Heathrow (turnabout is fair play?), but I don't remember seeing any signs about it.

Sorry to hear about the long wait.

Is there a rule against cameras and cell phones at border control in the UK? We've stood in line for ages at Heathrow (turnabout is fair play?), but I don't remember seeing any signs about it.

I don't think they bother at Heathrow because so few there speak or understand English. :)

• 8 months later...
Welcome aboard, Charbecca.

Once you collect your luggage in the terminal, look for a porter. They'll pile your stuff on a large cart, and you'll skip the big line for customs and immigration. We understood they want the porters to go trough as quickly as possible, and they took us to a short line to one side. A $10 tip per cart or porter is good, more if you wish. Our guy took us out to the waiting area.

Hello, just saw your comment above as I am trying to see the best way to get to a hotel in downtown , not booked yet

We will be on the QM2 for July 2015 , have no idea when we would disembark aside from being on deck 5 and not on a transfer or tour

So, if I get a porter for 4 pieces of luggage and two adults then they fasttrack me through Immigration / Customs to limos / taxis and I just ensure he is given $10 :)

Sounds like Barbados ....

Will cars be there or do you prebook and give an approximate time.. Our mobile will have a different Sim in it so not sure if it would work , though a text might

Any help for a new Curnarder and NYC visitor would be appreciated

There is also Dial7-they can be e-mailed at Dial7.com,you can reserve a van for the 5 of you, they will e-mail a confirmation to you on the ship or before you sail. You will also get a call on your mobile when you dock which will be the driver telling you his car number. You tell him your pick-up area where your porter will place you and your bags. I suggest $5/bag. Bon Voyage:)