Eye-fi Memory Card with wi-fi upload and geotagging

fmax

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I just came across this software today and thought it sounded really neat so thought I would share. Would love to hear from anyone who has used it.

I believe some cameras have geotagging capabilities but think this is the first memory card. It would be amazing for all those cruises not to have to try to remember every single place a photo was taken.

http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/

I think it's a memory card but it has wifi capabilities - like bluetooth in

your camera. There's a few different options

1. Eye-fi Home: It will automatically connect to a wifi network and upload

the pictures to your computer.

2. Eye-fi Share: Wirelessly upload photos to your computer and to your

favorite photo sharing, printing, blogging or social networking website.

It’s never been easier to share your memories while they are still

fresh. but it will also upload them directly to a file sharing site that

you've selected such as costco.com, facebook, flickr, kodak gallery,

picasa, shutterfly, smugmug, snapfish, webshots, walmart etc.

3. Eye-fi Explore: uploads photos wirelessly to your computer and to the

web, of course PLUS geotagging. But, Eye-Fi Explore also automatically

adds geographic location labels to your photos. You snap the shot and

the photo shows up labeled with the city and state in which it was

taken.

Apparently the Nikon D60 is the world’s first Eye-Fi enhanced camera which automatically adjusts its power settings for an even better wireless upload experience.

Frances

The eyeFi card is an interesting 'gadget' but has significant limitations (at this point in time) when compared to alternatives.

I reread this before posting and it may sound like I'm bashing eye.fi - that isn't the intent but rather to point out that there are 'better' alternatives on the market.

Anyone serious about geoTagging their photos can take advantage of a slew of accurate and flexible solutions that work in more than an urban/home/office environment. A standalone GPS recording tracklogs or even one of the specialized trackers would serve you better in remote areas out of wifi/cellular range. Plus you can do more with the GPS such as geocaching and such.

No GPS? Then simply use something like GoogleEarth/RoboGeo to grab the coordinates and add them to the file. I use a Garmin Vista HCx with RoboGeo. With a 2gb microSD card in the unit I can record track longs for many days without downloading. And I can easily offload the tracklogs straight onto my PSD (Nexto portable storage device) through its USB support without a computer.

* http://www.adorama.com/ICDATPPF.html?searchinfo=geotag&item_no=2

* http://www.adorama.com/ISOGPSCS1KSP.html?searchinfo=geotag&item_no=3

The wifi portion of their cards is interesting but not very practical in some siturations. They were clearly targeting a niche market and frankly they blew it by not having CF support without an adapter. They were told this time and time again from the early beta program through release. Focusing on the SD card format only reinforced their unspoken focus on the casual photographer. Also the range is rather limited and the file transfer only does jpg (no raw support). And the download speed is meager at best.

Still, it may be a useful tool in certain situations and its good that folks talk about new tools and understand their benefits (and limitations).

Cheers

Chris in VA

I got one as a gift last year and have used it (it's in my camera now) to easily upload pictures when I'm on vacation. The WiFi uploads to my pc and directly to Picasa which saves a bit of time when away from home. I think it's overpriced (as one might expect with a new product) and, clearly, a first step with upgrades to come. I'm reserving opinion until I've had more experience with it.....but it's fun (and I didn't pay for it! :))

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I am interested in hearing of other's experiences with using these cards. We are considering getting one for our Sydney to San Francisco cruise in a couple of months. The premium service seems like a good option as pics can be uploaded and shared with others immediately? We have also seen the iPad app which interests us for viewing pictures along the way and uploading to picture sites when we are in wifi range,

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I am interested in hearing of other's experiences with using these cards. We are considering getting one for our Sydney to San Francisco cruise in a couple of months. The premium service seems like a good option as pics can be uploaded and shared with others immediately? We have also seen the iPad app which interests us for viewing pictures along the way and uploading to picture sites when we are in wifi range,

Any thoughts?

I have a pro model and I regret it. While on the fly transfer to a phone (I've used Android and an iPhone) is nice; unanticipated time outs seem to occur with such frequency that I've found myself constantly babying the phone. Generally speaking the setup seemed to work far better on my N1/Droid than on my iPhone 4s (the Droid also has an advantage of swapable battery and memory card). The geotag feature pales in comparison to the GPS unit I have for my D90 and on my last trip seemed to tell me I spent a lot of time in Norway (closest I got was London). I think at this point I wish I'd taken my camera/gps in and found out/repaired whichever was the defective unit rather than purchased the card. Uploading via WiFi is nice, but you need that connection.

Archived