New York excursions

rluke029

Looking for a city tour available for after a cruise returning to the port of Manhattan that would allow you to take luggage, and would return you to the airport after the cruise. Does anyone know if Carnival or a reputable private vendor would offer something like that.

Carnival would have any excursions it may be offering for your cruise posted on their website for booking. That's where you need to look for the cruise line's excursions.

I'm not aware of any private companies doing anything of that sort.

An option used by many cruisers in NY is to take a taxi to Schwartz Travel, http://schwartztravel.com/_index.php , which has a luggage storage facility where you can check your bags for, I believe, $10 each. You can then explore Manhattan on your own, return to Schwartz Travel to pick up your belongings when you're done, and take a taxi, car service, or other form of transportation such as a train or an airport bus to your airport. To get recommendations for transportation we need to know what airport you're flying out of and your flight departure time.

My only concern is I will be traveling with a 2 year old and don't plan to take a car seat. Generally shuttles don't require car seats but a taxi or ride sharing service would.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, regardless of the law, one must still consider the physics of a potential car accident.

Every time DH refuses to use a seat belt in the back seat of someone else's car, I think of the CBS reporter who died in a NYC car acvident.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We will be flying out of Newark around 5pm on debark day.

I'd consider taking the airport express bus. You can board it at any one of three locations in midtown Manhattan and it will drop you directly at your airline terminal at EWR. The buses run every thirty minutes. I would recommend taking a bus no later than 2 pm to allow for any heavy traffic the bus may encounter en route. Adult fare is $16 person one way, and children under age 5 ride free. Using the express bus will be considerably cheaper than taking a taxi or car service.

https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/

Does anyone know if carnival offers a city tour excursion in New York City, I can't find anything on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their website doesn't show any such excursions, which by the way is more the norm than the exception for cruise lines in NY, particularly when a Newark Airport departure is involved. Sometimes cruise lines do offer them for JFK or LGA departures.

Carnival does offer airport transfers to EWR without an associated tour:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-transfers.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_852

I don't think you'll find out anything you don't already know, but you might consider also posting your question on the Carnival board as that's where you'll find a lot of cruisers who are knowledgeable about the specifics of that cruise line.

Of course, regardless of the law, one must still consider the physics of a potential car accident.

Every time DH refuses to use a seat belt in the back seat of someone else's car, I think of the CBS reporter who died in a NYC car acvident.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Me too! Although,I have used cabs in big cities with my kids without car seats (NY, Chicago).

Just want to point out something, you really don't have as much time for a tour that you think you do. If your flight at Newark is at 5:00, you need to be there at 3:00. I would plan for it to take an hour to get from Manhattan to Newark. So that only leaves you from when you get off (let's say 10:00am at the latest) until 2:00pm to tour. By the time you arrange to do something with the luggage, account for time to return to said place to pick up luggage, its really not a lot of time.

Not specific nor applicable to Carnival ... NCL offer a post-cruise city "tour" for flyers with late flights out of LGA and JFK only ... not EWR (been asked onboard recently by those on our Roll Call that sailed already)

$99 p/p including airport dropoff vs. $40 p/p for airport transfer only. Luggage is stored on the motorcoach/bus - advertised as a 2.5 hour tour, assuming that ship is on-time and all those are ready for the tour to leave as scheduled.

Tour is basically a true "drive-by" tour - not stopping or allowing folks to step off the bus, not even for a 10 or 15 minutes photo "break" at key landmarks - you see whatever from the "comfort" of your seats on the bus.

Also, by midday on weekends - traffic at the tunnels & bridges between NY and NJ begin to build-up and all it takes is ... an accident, hazmat spills or a blocked lane for things to quickly escalate into gridlock conditions ... like the fatal MVA last night involving a SUV and a stopped tractor trailer on the upper level of the in-bound GWB at 9 PM, shutting down the roadway for almost 6 hours.