Vote: Best jacket for summer cruise to Alaska

HotRods

Ok, I've seen a lot of clothing/jacket posts recently. Just wanted to get an idea of which brand of jacket people are using the most: Columbia, The North Face, LL Bean, Land's End, Eddie Bauer??? Water proof or water resistant? And is there a less expensive place to buy one of these jackets rather than direct from the store website?

Thanks in advance!!

Capt. Gus in Juneau (I think) has recommended Frogg Toggs rainwear as inexpensive and effective in previous threads. Looks good on their website www.froggtoggs.com. Anyone else have experience with this product? I have read some reviews that Marmot Precip jackets are not actually waterproof as advertised. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Ok, I've seen a lot of clothing/jacket posts recently. Just wanted to get an idea of which brand of jacket people are using the most: Columbia, The North Face, LL Bean, Land's End, Eddie Bauer??? Water proof or water resistant? And is there a less expensive place to buy one of these jackets rather than direct from the store website?

Thanks in advance!!

I vote for Columbia. Last year I got both myself and my husband Columbia jackets and they were a "god-send"! They are unlined, waterproof, wind-resistent, breatheable and were very affordable as I found them on sale at our local GI Joes. We just wore our warm fleecy-type jackets under them and kept dry and toasty warm! Many times we were the only ones out walking on the promenade deck and also up on the "sun" deck.

Hi. My DH and I have Frogg Toggs. We are both avid motorcyclists and from our experience, they are waterproof, wind proof and breathable. They come in a pouch, the size of a large loaf of bread and are ultra-light in weight. We've used them when it's rained, very windy and we have stayed completely dry and warm. They are also very comfortable. Golfers use them on the PGA circuit. They are a good product.

We will be taking our Frogg Toggs to Alaska in August.

Can't wait.

i went to the frogg togg website. they may be cool but they aren't very affordable. especially just for this trip. what i really want is a fleece lined, waterproof, packable jacket. they are sold out ot land's end. and they were only $31.00.

Put me in for the REI group. I went to a local REI after doing some research on the 'Net, and I wanted to try on different jackets (I'm an XXL, and not everything fits the same). I chose the North Face Denali (breathable, pockets, and so on, and paid $30 off retail) and I'll take a cheap Wal-Mart poncho in my backpack in case we get any sudden rain.

It's also packable, and I didn't want to get bogged down with some super-heavy parka in case the weather isn't as bad as I was thinking of.

Also, once you pick what particular jacket you would like, do a Google search and you should get some fairly competitive prices from different vendors.

Jerry

i went to the frogg togg website. they may be cool but they aren't very affordable. especially just for this trip. what i really want is a fleece lined, waterproof, packable jacket. they are sold out ot land's end. and they were only $31.00.

Couple of options if price is a factor:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39197894&memberId=12500226

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/208,44632_Sierra-Designs-Hurricane-Parka-Waterproof-For-Men.html

http://www.rei-outlet.com

I went with a discounted TNF Denali (300 polartec fleece) and TNF Venture waterproof jacket (hyvent). I'm already getting plenty of use out of these here in Chicago :)

Archived