Cruising to the Bahamas, Passport for the 2 year old or not?

snoopy5386

We'll be cruising out of Baltimore in February with a stop in Port Canaveral, a stop in Nassau and a stop in Freeport. DH, myself and my 6 yo all have passports from adventures before my youngest was born. I know I don't "need" a passport for my 2 year old to sail, but would you get one? How hard it is to get back into the US from the Bahamas without one (in case of emergency)?

I would get one. We did for our dd's first cruise at the end of the year. She's 21 months. You may not need one for this trip, but there are some islands that you can't go to with just a bc.

I keep remembering the story from a few years ago of a family of 5 that were on RC for a cruise. Their infant got sick and had to get off to go to the hospital. The cost of their stay in the hotel and 5 emergency passports was more than their cruise.

The hardest part is getting the picture. :)

I you are going R/T out of Baltimore it is not needed.

I would get it because if you did have to fly home you would need it.

You have time. But do it next week.

You can make appointments with passport offices. I would do that. The post offices are very crowded now.

Keith

It's not necessary at all.....should you need to cut the trip short, it would be a hassle, but you will NOT be stranded in another country...guaranteed! They don't want you there, and will work their butts off to get you out of their country!

I agree, it's not necessary and you won't be stranded if another country forever, but you will have to pay a rush to get an expedited temporary passport and wait there until it's ready. If you are going to take this child anywhere in the next five years, why not get it now? If there wasn't time to get it I may risk it, but there is still time - although get on it as soon as possible. I was surprised how quickly ours came.

Archived