QM2 Britannia Club - some comments

tiggis

I travelled on last week’s Westbound TA in Britannia Club. I have previously been in the Grills and Britannia main restaurant so I do have some context. Also, I travelled solo for the first time as my partner was not well.

Overall, I was very impressed. Food was excellent (my table companions thought the same) with good choices, and an a la carte menu as well (around five starters, four mains and a cheeseboard, with crepes suzette prepared tableside an unpublicised option). The waiters and sommelier were more relaxed than in the main restaurant as they have a steady flow of diners rather than the two peaks. Also, being next to the galley the food was hotter than it can be when you are seated near the entrance to the main restaurant.

Of no real consequence, but the maitre d’ seemed to have little or nothing to do most of the time. He did come round the room but only towards the end of the voyage. He was friendly and helpful on the couple of occasions when I approached him, though.

As others have pointed out the staterooms are a long way off, but that can be an advantage.

I booked a saver fare, which carried few risks as the staterooms are all in the same area and of course dining is single seating. There were no port shuttles to worry about, either.

For solo travellers the supplement is 75%, the same as in Britannia, rather than the 100% in the Grills.

I thought that the lecture programme was outstanding. It included a small party of World War 2 GIs, the youngest of whom was 90 and the oldest 97. The ones I heard (including the 97 year-old) spoke with clear recall and movingly about their experiences.

Thanks for your report I always wanted to try Britannia Club- no for the first time I am in a single cabin on deck 3 on board the Mary! They look great - and for a October Transatlantic I can make do without the balcony- only to use to let in a bit of fresh air though!

I've sailed in Britannia Club on QM2 in the past and agree completely with the OP's observations. I felt it was quite a step up from the normal Britannia dining room. In fact in some ways it was as good as the cuisine and service I've received in Queens and Princess Grill at a much lower cost.

I'm sailing again in Britannia Club in November and looking forward to it. One thing I'll point out is that Britannia Club cabins are on Deck 12 and Deck 13. Those on Deck 12 are original to the ship, and although redone have the original bathrooms. The cabins on Deck 13 were added during the latest refit, and feature much nicer bathrooms with glass shower doors. Big improvement and so much more modern looking. So try to get Deck 13 if you're booking Britannia Club. Cunard added rubber decking to the walkways above on Deck 14 (which are closed much of the time while at sea anyway) so noise should not be an issue.

I've sailed in Britannia Club on QM2 in the past and agree completely with the OP's observations. I felt it was quite a step up from the normal Britannia dining room. In fact in some ways it was as good as the cuisine and service I've received in Queens and Princess Grill at a much lower cost.

I'm sailing again in Britannia Club in November and looking forward to it. One thing I'll point out is that Britannia Club cabins are on Deck 12 and Deck 13. Those on Deck 12 are original to the ship, and although redone have the original bathrooms. The cabins on Deck 13 were added during the latest refit, and feature much nicer bathrooms with glass shower doors. Big improvement and so much more modern looking. So try to get Deck 13 if you're booking Britannia Club. Cunard added rubber decking to the walkways above on Deck 14 (which are closed much of the time while at sea anyway) so noise should not be an issue.

Regarding glass shower doors: I am surprised Cunard installed glass shower door on Deck 13 cabin.See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2247402

Many ships have glass shower doors. In fact most new ships. Generally there are no problems. The incidents on Viking seem to be an exception but I'm sure those are rectified, and Viking continues to install glass shower doors on its latest newbuilds. Sure beats a moldy clingy shower curtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many ships have glass shower doors. In fact most new ships. Generally there are no problems. The incidents on Viking seem to be an exception but I'm sure those are rectified, and Viking continues to install glass shower doors on its latest newbuilds. Sure beats a moldy clingy shower curtain.

Sorry, but the incidents on Viking are not an exception. The problem not limited to ships, or shower doors.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/glass-shower-doors-shatter-suddenly/story?id=17407544

https://www.local10.com/news/shattering-glass-shower-doors-becoming-more-common

There are thousands of glass shower doors on ships sailing all over the world. They do just fine. They continue to get installed on new ships coming into service and refitted on older ships as well. Seems even Cunard sees the benefits. Somehow I'm not too worried.

There are thousands of glass shower doors on ships sailing all over the world. They do just fine. They continue to get installed on new ships coming into service and refitted on older ships as well. Seems even Cunard sees the benefits. Somehow I'm not too worried.

I certainly don't want to worry you, or anyone else. But don't take my word for it, do your own research.

As long as you are aware of the hazards, be happy, don't worry. :cool:

Perhaps I'm naive or just too trusting, but I feel if these glass shower doors truly posed a substantial safety risk we would not be seeing them. Must cruise line decisions are either financially motivated or motivated by safety, and if these doors posed serious risks to either I could see them putting a quick halt to any additional installations. Also cruise lines (like any company) are aware of the potential risk for lawsuits and negative publicity, were they knowingly installing a product that was proven harmful to their customers. I think they are smarter than that.

What we are seeing is more and more ships with some type of glass or plexiglass style shower door. I would say it's making its way to the majority of new ships, with the shower curtain becoming a thing of the past.

The Viking response indicated that their investigation showed that the doors had been fitted incorrectly. I'm not sure those incidents tell us anything about the safety of correctly fitted glass doors. Of course glass can break but many people prefer it to a curtain.

These are the updated bathrooms by the way, in the cabins on Deck 13 (including the insides) and also in the new single cabins on Deck 2 and Deck 3. The layout and size is the same as the original bathrooms, but as you can see they are beautifully updated with far more modern features and upgrades. I wonder if at some point all the bathrooms will be redone in this style on QM2? I took these on disembarkation morning when the cabins were vacated and doors open.

29077963165_73b3b2a896_h.jpg

28791812700_f6e169f359_h.jpg