Two for one fares

JPH814

It seems that when I have looked at Seabourn itineraries in the past, they were frequently offering a two for one fare promotion. I am going to book the September 2016 cruise from Montreal to Boston. Do you think these will be offered as part of a two for one promotion at some point? Any idea when?

Edited by JPH814

I believe the prices currently listed on the Seabourn site are MORE than 50% off the "brochure" fare (the list price no one ever pays); two-for-one would actually be a little MORE than the prices shown. I wouldn't expect prices to decline over time, unless the specific cruise isn't selling well -- and since there are only two of this itinerary per year, I'm guessing that isn't too likely.

Edited by cruiseej

We are booked for the same cruise this year and the prices haven't changed for the past several months. You may like to keep checking the prices for this years, leaving the 1st Sept or the 21st I think it is, that may give you some insight as to what price changes may happen for this cruise.

I had done a bit of research before we booked and as said, there never seems to be any specials for Canada New England as there are only a few cruises.

I believe the prices currently listed on the Seabourn site are MORE than 50% off the "brochure" fare (the list price no one ever pays); two-for-one would actually be a little MORE than the prices shown. I wouldn't expect prices to decline over time, unless the specific cruise isn't selling well -- and since there are only two of this itinerary per year, I'm guessing that isn't too likely.

What am I missing: I am getting a price of $15,015 for two people in a category V1 for the October 1, 2016 cruise. I do not think the brochure price is $30,000.

Edited by JPH814

We are booked for the same cruise this year and the prices haven't changed for the past several months. You may like to keep checking the prices for this years, leaving the 1st Sept or the 21st I think it is, that may give you some insight as to what price changes may happen for this cruise.

I had done a bit of research before we booked and as said, there never seems to be any specials for Canada New England as there are only a few cruises.

Can you give me some idea of what you paid? I am seeing $15,000 for two people in a category V1.

Seabourn no longer indicate "brochure" prices and a discounted price on their web site. They just show the currently offered price which may be higher or lower than that previously indicated. And, as indicated by others, they price per person. Other sites eg VTG, may list a brochure and discounted price. What the Seabourn site shows will also be priced in the currency of your region, so prices vary. For the sailing you are indicating Seabourn is showing $A8,999 which is around your $US6,900 for a V1, at current exchange rates. VTG shows $US21,599 Brochure and current price of $US6,999 for V1.

Please note that the brochure rates listed are per person, and not for two guests as you seem to be thinking.

No - that is not what I "seem to be thinking" (Sheesh!)

The rate on the website (I assume the "brochure rate") are $7500 per person for this cruise (including taxes and port fees). that makes $15,000 for two people for a ten day cruise.

My point is, where - if anywhere - do I find a discounted rate. As I (and others) seem to believe, I should be able to book this at rate significantly below the brochure rate.

Seabourn no longer indicate "brochure" prices and a discounted price on their web site. They just show the currently offered price which may be higher or lower than that previously indicated. And, as indicated by others, they price per person. Other sites eg VTG, may list a brochure and discounted price. What the Seabourn site shows will also be priced in the currency of your region, so prices vary. For the sailing you are indicating Seabourn is showing $A8,999 which is around your $US6,900 for a V1, at current exchange rates. VTG shows $US21,599 Brochure and current price of $US6,999 for V1.

Thank you.

My question for Seabourn regulars remains: Is it still common for Seabourn to offer a two for one rate (or a 50% discounted rate) on its cruises? My past experience with them seems to indicate that - at some point - this cruise and most others are discounted. I would get mailings with virtually every cruise in the book discounted at this level. Have they done away with this?

No - they do not offer 2 for 1. Yes - they have done away with showing a brochure price and a discounted amount.

Current practice seems to be to price according to demand. This means prices may move down or up.

The current AUD price for that cruise is $17,997. When I turn on the vpn, the U.S. price is as you say $15,015. That's about correct based on the exchange rate. All prices quoted here are for 2 people.

From screen shots I have of the prices for my cruise (1st Sept 2015) taken off the SB website several times over the past 6 months, the prices have not changed in this time. The current 1sept, 2015 cruise for 2 people in a V1 is $16,464 Aussie. $13,917 USD

For our cruise, this time we decided to try the midship A1 which was about $13,400 for 2.

If 2016 go the same way the 2015 went, the prices dropped just before Xmas and the haven't changed since. I have never seen any other offers for our cruise. They may happen closer to sail date. For us in Aus, what may be gained by waiting till closer to the sail date will be well and truly lost in airfare costs which rise dramatically.

What am I missing: I am getting a price of $15,015 for two people in a category V1 for the October 1, 2016 cruise. I do not think the brochure price is $30,000.

My question for Seabourn regulars remains: Is it still common for Seabourn to offer a two for one rate (or a 50% discounted rate) on its cruises? My past experience with them seems to indicate that - at some point - this cruise and most others are discounted. I would get mailings with virtually every cruise in the book discounted at this level. Have they done away with this?

What I and others have answered above is that on the website, they don't show a brochure price, just the fluctuating current price of the cruise you are looking at. However, on the website, you can find the "e-brochure" for the 2015-2016 sailings. For the cruise you are talking about, the e-brochure shows the fall 2015 cruise, but you can extrapolate from there.

A V1 category on the 2015 Montreal to Boston cruise in the e-brochure shows a "Brochure Fare" of $14,400 per person, and a "Value Fare" of $6,499. That's why I wrote above that selling price is BETTER than a "2-for-1" price; in this case, the "value" fare is a 55% discount off the brochure fare. (And yes, the brochure price for 2 for this cruise is, truly, about $30,000.)

eBrochure%20Screen%20Shot.png

That all said, the brochure fare is meaningless. No one pays it. It's like a "manufacturer's suggested retail price" for a TV or a car that no one ever pays. "2-for-1" is therefore also meaningless, since it's promoting 50% of a meaningless brochure price. So what one really has to do is look at the actual price being offered and evaluate it, perhaps as a cost per day, or perhaps versus other cruises, to decide if it seems like a good fare or not.

Hope that helps end the confusion.

Edited by cruiseej

I must say I don't remember fares being quoted as 2 for 1 on Seabourn. It is pretty meaningless anyway. I would say to wait until you really feel you would like to book, and look at the fares (preferably with a good SB TA) online, and make your mind up. Most recent cruises we have done have had prices go down particularly on a guarantee basis, a couple of months before sailing. Depends on when you really need to know you can go on a certain date, and also whether you are happy to do a guarantee balcony (OB) or window suite grade (OS) or not. But when they are there they are always the cheapest, certainly in the UK. Often cruises said to be full come up with availability just after the full payment date, as I believe US customers do not lose their deposit if they change their minds, and quite a few do this.

Thanks everyone - especially ab21au and cruiseej.

I guess my problem is I am booking 17 months in advance. (In fact, I did just book at a rate of $7029 per person for a Veranda 2. ) I will just continue to monitor the prices to see if the rate may decrease. If it does drop, I am reasonable certain I will be able to get the lower price (at least prior to 90 days out).

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that when I have looked at Seabourn itineraries in the past, they were frequently offering a two for one fare promotion. I am going to book the September 2016 cruise from Montreal to Boston. Do you think these will be offered as part of a two for one promotion at some point? Any idea when?

As I recall last year that segment just spiraled up in price.