port-->citycenter by foot: Barcelona, Casablanca, Funchal, Santa cruz, Arrecife

kanamurva

I'm contemplating of taking a cruise from malaga. The itinerary is following:

Malaga, Spain

7:00pm Sun Mar 15 At Sea

Mon Mar 16 Barcelona, Spain 5:00am 7:00pm Tue Mar 17 At Sea

Wed Mar 18 Casablanca, Morocco 9:00am 11:00pm Thu Mar 19 At Sea

Fri Mar 20 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal 9:00am 5:00pm Sat Mar 21 Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands 9:00am 5:00pm Sun Mar 22 Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands 9:00am 5:00pm Mon Mar 23 At Sea

Tue Mar 24 Malaga, Spain

My question is: how far are the ports at those places from the "centers" or the places to see? We love walking and don't like taking shuttles for half an hour to get to places so this is an important factor to us. I've understood that in Malaga the port is quite close (at walking distance that is). But what about in other places? Thank you.

I'm contemplating of taking a cruise from malaga. The itinerary is following:

Malaga, Spain

7:00pm Sun Mar 15 At Sea

Mon Mar 16 Barcelona, Spain 5:00am 7:00pm Tue Mar 17 At Sea

Wed Mar 18 Casablanca, Morocco 9:00am 11:00pm Thu Mar 19 At Sea

Fri Mar 20 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal 9:00am 5:00pm Sat Mar 21 Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands 9:00am 5:00pm Sun Mar 22 Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands 9:00am 5:00pm Mon Mar 23 At Sea

Tue Mar 24 Malaga, Spain

My question is: how far are the ports at those places from the "centers" or the places to see? We love walking and don't like taking shuttles for half an hour to get to places so this is an important factor to us. I've understood that in Malaga the port is quite close (at walking distance that is). But what about in other places? Thank you.

We did a Canary Islands cruise that stopped at many of the ports you are asking about. However, we went to Gran Canary not Tenerife or Arrecife. My guess would be for those islands that you would be close to the town centers.

Barcelona- The cruise port is right near Las Ramblas, but requires a bit of walking, depending on where your ship docks. Some cruise lines have a shuttle if you don't wish to walk.

Malaga

I seem to remember that the port is close to the city center, however, if you haven't been to Granada to see the Alhambra, I highly recommend that you take a tour or excursion to see the Alhambra.

Casablanca

The docks are close to town, but Casablanca is not a real tourist destination. It is not an old city and only the huge mosque is worth seeing there. Suggest taking a tour to Rabat or Marrakesh.

Funchal

This is a very beautiful island that deserves visitors to see more than the port. It seemed to me that the port is close to the town. However, get out and see the interior.

Here is my review of our 2011 cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907

Hi,

If you love walking and can go at a relatively mobile clip, then you should be OK to walk to the centers at all of the ports except maybe Santa Cruz and Casablanca (haven't researched Casablanca so it may be walkable as well). That is, you don't mind a 20-40 minute walk to the centers.

However, in my research for Arrecife, Lanzarote, there doesn't seem to be much to do in that town, and first-time visitors usually go on excursions to the Timanfaya national park (the lunar landscapes park).

I have been to all the places you mention except Casablanca. The ports are all within easy reach of the towns and/or public transport.

I suggest you do some research here on CC and Tripadvisor regarding what there is to see and do in each port. Then you can ask more specific questions on each port.