Bus #22 and Darkwood Beach

Geobugs

We visited Antigua and Darkwood beach via Bus #22.

The directions are accurate on the forums. We had to wait 45 minutes for the bus to fill. We would have been more upset, but the waves at the beach we rough.

Darkwood has a nice beach bar, chairs, and $1 fresh water shower. The water is a beautiful color. The snorkeling was not available due to the rough water that the weather brought.

We would visit again, but would take a taxi to the beach, public transit back to port, as they pass frequently and dont have to wait to fill.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info... This is our plan for a port day early February on the Freedom. We were planning on bussing it both ways, but may take your advice and taxi there, bus back. Cant wait !!!

The delays at the bus terminal are greatly exaggerated from our previous experiences. Of course saving money is more important to me than having to wait 10-15 minutes for a bus to fill up.

Edited by kewlguy

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our cruise which visited Antigua. Took the bus #22 to Valley Church beach which was crowded with passengers from a P&O cruise ship. Much more crowded beach than what we expected. Although we enjoyed our day there and wouldn't hesitate to return. Although hopefully it will be less crowded next time. It took 25 minutes for the bus to fill up at the bus terminal on Market Street. I specifically timed it. Our wait has been shorter in the past and depends how full the bus is when you arrive at the bus terminal. The driver waits until every seat in occupied before leaving. Once under way the ride to the beach was approximately 25 minutes including stops. I would use the bus again in the future to save money but for those who object to waiting I would suggest sharing a cab with someone. Coming back was much quicker. A 5 minute wait for the bus to arrive.

Edited by kewlguy

• 6 years later...

I understand darkwood beach is lovely and a good place to snorkel.

Has anyone had a more recent experience using a bus to travel to and from this beach from the cruise port? Can you please give me detailed directions for walking to the bus stop from the cruise port and

where to get off the bus so we know we are at the right place?

Cam we use American dollars to pay for bus, cost and other info that may be helpful

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Yes you can use U S currency on bus. Expect to wait until bus is full before you leave the bus station. We went to Darkwood and the stop is right there. If you are going to valley church beach it's a bit of a walk to beach and facilities. We gave the driver $3 for both of us one way to beach. It's about a 13-15 minute walk through not the best area but people were nice and helpful and it is easy to get to from the ship

Have to agree with Host Kewlguy, that the waiting times (for bus #22) are exaggerated, In practice, the bus runs at least once every 30 min (sometimes more often). Your waiting time is simply a matter of luck, but suffice it to say that you will save a substantial amount of money using the bus to Darkwood. If you prefer to save a few minutes and do not mind spending the extra dollars...simply grab a taxi (there are plenty) at the port.

As to Darkwood (Kewlguy and I have been visiting this beach for many years), based on our most recent visit (early December) our once quiet beach has been discovered! These days, if the weather is good, you will find a pretty good crowd on Darkwood by late morning. They do work hard to handle all comers (just ask "Too Tall" for help) and the beach is still gorgeous.

As to going to the bus station, it is a relatively easy 10 min walk. Once you walk into town (from the main port entrance) just turn right on the first main street (about 2 blocks from the port) and start walking (and enjoying) through town. In a few blocks you will come to a slight split in the streets where you should stick to the road that veers slightly to the right (if you take the other road it will take you a couple of blocks out of your way). You will quickly reach the bus station (on your right). As you walk, if you have any doubts..simply ask any of the locals to point you to the bus station. Folks are generally very friendly and helpful on the island.

Hank