Sunday in Rome

lorideco

I am leaving on my cruise on a Monday (August 1) out of Rome so I thought I'd fly in a few days early to see Rome. I arrive Saturday morning, so I thought I would have Sat afternoon, all day Sunday, and Monday morning before leaving on the cruise. Now I just found out that almost everyhing is closed on Sunday and Monday mornings. Can someone tell me what is open on Sunday. My three teenager daughters were hoping to get some shopping in also. Are there any stores open?

Please help.

Lori

What about the museums - forum, colosseum, pantheon? We'll be there the last Sunday of the month so the Vatican should be open (w/free admission) - but I'm sure it will be CROWDED that day. Is shopping the only thing that will be unavailable to us on Sunday?

Julie

When we were there we went to the forum, the colosseum and the parthenon. The advantage of being in Rome on a Sunday is that there was less traffic, so getting around the city was a lot easier. We had a private driver so we were able to get in to Rome fairly quickly and were able to see many of the outdoor and public sites.

What about the museums - forum, colosseum, pantheon? We'll be there the last Sunday of the month so the Vatican should be open (w/free admission) - but I'm sure it will be CROWDED that day. Is shopping the only thing that will be unavailable to us on Sunday?

Julie

Keep in mind that there are many things to see in Rome that don't require they be open. For example the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, all the wonderful fountains and Piazza's. You can also enter the Basilica of St. Peter when there aren't services going on. And the Colisseum and Forum are open for visitors on Sundays -- there are tours that you can book on Sundays that specifically state they take you into the Colisseum and Forum.

Here is a link to a site that gives you some good tourist info, and lists a number of tours you can book:

http://www.thingstodo-rome.com

LeeAnne

Archived