Elegant Tea - Who Gets Invited?

OnlyMe

Hi all,

Last year we were lucky enough to be booked in a Celebrity Suite and got invited to an Elagant Tea in the Normandie Speciality restaurant. We really enjoyed this and are now wondering if it's only suite passengers who get invited or will we get an invite being in a CC cabin (we're also 'regular' Captain's Club Members if that makes a difference?).

Sorry if this is a repaet question but I have searched the boards and still cannot figure it out.

Thanks for the replies! It seems that it is subjective though ... I was trying to figure out if they link the invites to your Captains Club statur OR the cabin you're in and if it's the cabin then is it only suites ... guess they don't know themselves:rolleyes:

The elegant teas we have been invited to on every cruise have stated "for Select and Elite Captain's Club members" on the invite. However, if you are Classic level and in a suite I am sure your butler can wrangle you an invite as they can do most anything like that. Just ask the first few days of the cruise so you don't miss it!

There are actually 4 different teas...the buffet "tea", the butler-served tea if you are in a suite, and then on some cruises (particularly when there are a lot of sea days) there has been an "afternoon tea" that is open to anyone served in the dining room, and then there is the invitation-only "elegant tea" also served in the Dining room or specialty restaurant. You have to dress in long pants (guys) for those and there are fancy little goodies that are not a lot different from what is on the buffet, but the string quartet plays and the waiters have white gloves and you can be seated with a group and meet some very nice folks. Very civilized and a teensy tiny bit 'british'. We love them all!:)

The elegant teas we have been invited to on every cruise have stated "for Select and Elite Captain's Club members" on the invite. ...There are actually 4 different teas...the buffet "tea", the butler-served tea if you are in a suite, and then on some cruises (particularly when there are a lot of sea days) there has been an "afternoon tea" that is open to anyone served in the dining room, and then there is the invitation-only "elegant tea" also served in the Dining room or specialty restaurant....:)

We were on the 1/20/08 sailing of the Millinennium. It was a seven night, Eastern Carribean cruise. As listed in the Celebrity Today, on Monday, Jan. 21st, there was an elegant tea in the dining room for all passenger. The dress code for this tea was informal (jacket required). This was a sea day and the dress code later in the evening was formal. We were also invited to a Captains Club elegant tea later in the week.

Les

We have been invited twice:

The first was held in the main dining room...it was far from elegant...we were only Select at that time. We wouldn't go again if it were held there;

The second was in the Normandie, much nicer...we were Elite at that time. I don't know if our status had anything to do with where we were invited.

Regards

...The first was held in the main dining room...it was far from elegant...we were only Select at that time. We wouldn't go again if it were held there...

Out of curiosity, what were the issues with the teas in the main dining room?

We have gone to a few of these and they were pretty much all the same; white gloved waiter, large dessert carts loaded with fancy desserts, trays of small tea sandwiches and background live music. The presentation didn't seem to vary with regard to Captain Clubs or general ship customer teas.

Thanks for your information.

Les

We have gone to a few of these and they were pretty much all the same; white gloved waiter, large dessert carts loaded with fancy desserts, trays of small tea sandwiches and background live music. The presentation didn't seem to vary with regard to Captain Clubs or general ship customer teas.

Les

I agree - only real difference is the atmosphere of the dining room vs. specialty restaurant. To elaborate:

On most of the recent cruises we've been on (all 10 days or longer) they've had both "Elegant" teas in the dining room and in the specialty restaurant - always on sea days. They might have this twice during the cruise in the dining room, but I think just once in the specialty restaurant - although all this might vary from cruise to cruise as we usually go only once. The one in the specialty restaurant has been Select and Elite Captains club only (possibly suites too?). The one in the dining room has been open to all. I believe both have waiters in white gloved formal dress and have the same selection of tea sandwiches, pastries and such. Passenger dress in the specialty restaurant tea is "informal" (jackets for men). I can't recall if the dining room elegant tea is "informal" dress or "casual", but it is definitely "no shorts" like at dinner.

They also have "tea" in the buffet in the afternoon with similar food served, but not quite the atmosphere and I'm not sure if it is the food is quite as nice. We've never stayed in a suite we've seen the butlers delivering a very nice looking afternoon tea off a cart full of pastries and tea sandwiches each afternoon.

Yes they do hold the Elegant tea on the short cruises. Its usually held in the main diningroom.

Unfortunately on our last short cruise there were less than 10 of us...ALL were dressed appropriately (Informal). and they had WAY too much food. We were told by one of the servers that they may discontinue the teas because of lack of participation. They base their food on the # of select and elite invites however only a very small percentage ever show up.

From my stand point many select/elite members just want to say they have the status...yet don't want to participate in the events which is a shame.

Dave:eek:

Les

Maybe it was just this one, but in the dining room there were lots of people...too many for the wait to handle with the expected attention. This led to some pushiness on the part of some of the guests.

In the Normandie there were fewer guests, better wait staff ratio, more ambiance.

These were different cruises on different ships, but the same itinerary (San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego).

Regards

...These were different cruises on different ships, but the same itinerary (San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego).

Regards

I guess difference is what makes the world go around. We were at a dining room elegant tea about 10 months on the Infinity on the SD-Hawaii-SD itinerary. It was great!

Les

Here might be a different twist. We were in a CC cabin on the Connie Dec 7th. It was our first time with X (a super trip) and obviously not Captain's

Club members until now. But we were invited to both a high tea and a

bridge tour. We thought that all CC cabins get invited and enjoyed both.

Hi, I have only had a CC cabin once. 99% of the time I book

an inside cabin and I am Elite now.

I have been invited to the Tea quite a few times. It can be quite

a fun event:)

Here might be a different twist. We were in a CC cabin on the Connie Dec 7th. It was our first time with X (a super trip) and obviously not Captain's

Club members until now. But we were invited to both a high tea and a

bridge tour. We thought that all CC cabins get invited and enjoyed both.

We will be in a CC cabin on Century (5 night) in a couple of weeks and it will be our first time on Celebrity.

I sure hope I can have tea in the dining room on the two sea days. I'm already dismayed there will be no BBQ and no late Night Buffet on the 5 night cruise, as well a kitchen tour being invitation only for Captains Club members. We usually cruise on HAL as far as the Mass Market lines and looking forward to tryng Celebrity, but a bit discouraged hearing about Elegant Teas, Kitchen Tours and Stage tours all needing invites (everyone gets invited on HAL).

However, it does list CC as getting invitations...

Hi Jade,

I don't recall the High Tea ever being offered twice in the Dining

room even on my 7 night cruises, so I doubt they will offer it

twice on a 5 day.

If you would like to attend and don't receive an invitation,

you could speak with your Maitr'd. I am sure it would be ok.

Many times the turnout is quite small so I can't seen a problem.

Jade, I am being sincere with my next comment so please take

it with the spirit it is intended.

I know you had problems with land customer service and are

disappointed with a few things already. I just hope you go and try to

have a good cruise:)

I also realize it is human nature to do comparisons. I did it

when I sailed HAL too.

But I really hope you and your family have a good time.:)

I agree with Lois.

find out when the high tea will be. It is INFORMAL dress so women in dressy outfits, men in jackets and ties.

Ask the maitre'd if it would be possible for you to attend...

The worse that could happen is for him to say no.

Dave:eek:

WOW, lots of posts but there still doesn't seem to be a definate answer:confused:

The elegant teas we have been invited to on every cruise have stated "for Select and Elite Captain's Club members" on the invite. However, if you are Classic level and in a suite I am sure your butler can wrangle you an invite as they can do most anything like that. Just ask the first few days of the cruise so you don't miss it!

When we were invited to the Elegant Tea last time around we weren't Select or Elite members BUT were ina Suite and the invitation was just posted on our door ... ...no wrangling involved:) .... also, I just checked the invite and it didn't mention anything about being Select, Elite or Suite passengers or being for any specific group.

On X's website it stated for both Suites AND CC that VIP invitations are part of the 'perks' which actually led me to posting the question in the first place so I suppose what I'm trying to figure is are the invites for both Suites and CC the same. It seems though that I will probably have to wait until March when we cruise to see what happens!... Would hate to miss out though if they just 'forgot' to send us an invite (if we're 'supposed' to get one) - this happened to us for our Cruise Critics GTG on our last cruise - they forgot to send us the invite ... luckily though I remembered when it was supposed to be and I telephoned them to double check.

WOW, lots of posts but there still doesn't seem to be a definate answer:confused:

When we were invited to the Elegant Tea last time around we weren't Select or Elite members BUT were ina Suite and the invitation was just posted on our door ... ...no wrangling involved:) .... also, I just checked the invite and it didn't mention anything about being Select, Elite or Suite passengers or being for any specific group.

On X's website it stated for both Suites AND CC that VIP invitations are part of the 'perks' which actually led me to posting the question in the first place so I suppose what I'm trying to figure is are the invites for both Suites and CC the same. It seems though that I will probably have to wait until March when we cruise to see what happens!... Would hate to miss out though if they just 'forgot' to send us an invite (if we're 'supposed' to get one) - this happened to us for our Cruise Critics GTG on our last cruise - they forgot to send us the invite ... luckily though I remembered when it was supposed to be and I telephoned them to double check.

I was leaning towards the "just forgot" as the reason we didn't get our invite on Millie.

I just went back and checked all of the Celebrity Today issues and other info from our 1/20/08 seven night Millie cruise. There was only one elegant tea in the dining room. It was for anyone on the cruise. It was listed in the Celebrity Today.

When we arrived in our cabin, there was a welcome aboard letter from the Captain's Club representative. It also listed all of the events for our Select membership level. No separate invitations were issued for any of these events. The Celebrity Today also listed the various Captain's Clubs events for each membership level on the day they took place. To gain entrance to an event, you had to show your seapass card that indicated your membership level.

So, I don't think you will get a separate invitation for an elegant tea. It will be listed as an event on the letter you receive in your cabin for either your Captain's Club membership level or cabin category.

Les

Our 1st cruise on X was a 2 wk repo from Alaska and we were in a CS. There were a 'boatload' of invites when we walked into our suite. We attended everything (and were vastly amused at some snafus). At some point (can't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd week) we received an invite to the Elegant Tea which was to be held in the specialty rest. We dressed appropriately and arrived at the requested time. Everything was beautiful, desert carts, harpist, several senior officers, and a bunch of wait staff. They were expecting ~60 people and we were the ONLY ones who showed.:eek: Honestly, it was a hoot! Everyone sat, or stood around our table laughing and talking. They practically FORCED us to eat, and I returned the favor by nagging at them to eat, "It will be insulting if you do don't join us!". It was our 2nd inside joke with the crew on that cruise (because of another special invite), and made for a lot of laughter and winking over those two weeks.

You'll be happy to know there IS a point to telling you this story (other than the fact that the memory makes me laugh!:p). While trying to pretend I was eating the pile of food on my plate, I asked who gets the "special invites". I was told suite pax, elite members, and cc pax CAN be invited, but, not all are, and those that are invited are not necessarily invited to all events/activities. I guess it's mostly about being in some sort of category which rates the invites and luck of the draw.

Let me say, IF you're invited to something, PLEASE GO! Believe me, you'll thank me for this advice. I realize there are lots of cruisers who've grown weary of the Special Invites, but my limited experience says GO GO GO! You'll have a great time!

Happy cruising!

Denise

Archived