Difference between Titanic and cruise today

SheriNtexas

Ok, I'll admit it: I have Titanic in high def. recorded on my Tivo!:D I was watching just now when I thought it might be funny to list a few differences between life on Titanic (before the sinking, of course) and a cruise now! I'll start:

One word: AZIPODS!!

Rats in steerage?? lol!:eek:

Yup, azipods are amazing little pieces of technology.

But did you know, only 6 Carnival ships have azipods?

Elation, Paradise, Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle all have azipods.

The others (including the Conquest class) are all fixed propellor ships. Granted they run off massive electric or diesel engines now, but they still do have the fixed screws.

Yup, azipods are amazing little pieces of technology.

But did you know, only 6 Carnival ships have azipods?

Elation, Paradise, Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle all have azipods.

The others (including the Conquest class) are all fixed propellor ships. Granted they run off massive electric or diesel engines now, but they still do have the fixed screws.

I didn't KNOW that! How does the Conquest move sideways then and turn around in circles? Could ships do that that DON'T have azipods?

I didn't KNOW that! How does the Conquest move sideways then and turn around in circles? Could ships do that that DON'T have azipods?

They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.

Ok, I'll admit it: I have Titanic in high def. recorded on my Tivo!:D I was watching just now when I thought it might be funny to list a few differences between life on Titanic (before the sinking, of course) and a cruise now! I'll start:

One word: AZIPODS!!

Rats in steerage?? lol!:eek:

How about the most important word....lifeboats (for all passengers) :D

They would be more amzing if they worked. Do you realize how much revenue has been lost, industry-wide, to azipod breakdowns?

I would have to say - Passenger Classes. Not sure when it was decided that a guy paying $100 a day was entitled to eat next to a guy paying $1000, but it is definitely a difference

They would be more amzing if they worked. Do you realize how much revenue has been lost, industry-wide, to azipod breakdowns?

I would have to say - Passenger Classes. Not sure when it was decided that a guy paying $100 a day was entitled to eat next to a guy paying $1000, but it is definitely a difference

Haha, on Cunard, they still have the whole class system going!

They have bow thrusters. Those are smaller propellors located on either side of the ship towards the front. They allow the ship to move side to side. When you couple one side of the bow thrusters with the main propellors going in forward or reverse, you can make the ship go in circles.

Some ships even have stern thrusters, which are the same concept, just further back on ths ship.

actually, you make the ship go in circles by driving one side's props forward, and the other side in reverse. Even with Azipods

Wow, thanks for the lesson! I guess I assumed that if the ship went sideways and in circles, it had an azipod! LOL, I'm watching Titanic and it was the part where Rose was explaining how she almost "fell" off the ship, and right as I was writing the word azipod, the older man said, "See, women and machinery don't mix"! I guess I proved THAT point! ;)

Wow, thanks for the lesson! I guess I assumed that if the ship went sideways and in circles, it had an azipod! LOL, I'm watching Titanic and it was the part where Rose was explaining how she almost "fell" off the ship, and right as I was writing the word azipod, the older man said, "See, women and machinery don't mix"! I guess I proved THAT point! ;)

Don't they realize it is impossible to just 'fall', she had to have been drunk and doing something stupid, or pushed.....:D

just trying to maintain the concience of the boards

I have to admit I am a HUGE Titanic fan.... not just movie, but the actual history of titanic fascinates me!

Difference between Titanic and our modern day cruises is - Titanic's goal was to bring people to America.... today, most cruise ships are used for vacations...

Not to mention the Titanic was never christened, I believe that most cruise ships today are

and the rice of a single first-class ticket was $4,700 back in 1912 which today would $50,000, a lot more than the regular 2-3,000.00 suite!

I have to admit I am a HUGE Titanic fan.... not just movie, but the actual history of titanic fascinates me!

Difference between Titanic and our modern day cruises is - Titanic's goal was to bring people to America.... today, most cruise ships are used for vacations...

Very true! I love the history of Titanic as well! I watch specials whenever i catch them on tv!

Very true! I love the history of Titanic as well! I watch specials whenever i catch them on tv!

There was one on this morning around 2am... History Channel.

They were trying to find proof that Titanic bottom was damaged by the iceberg... thus flooding the lower half of Titanic quicker than it should have! :)

They didnt find any proof though!

There was one on this morning around 2am... History Channel.

They were trying to find proof that Titanic bottom was damaged by the iceberg... thus flooding the lower half of Titanic quicker than it should have! :)

They didnt find any proof though!

Yep, that was the one i watched! Just the fact that we can now see video of the ship on the floor of the ocean is amazing to me! I would love to see the tour of the artifacts recovered from Titanic, but i doubt that tour comes anywhere around West Texas, lol!! Probably more like New York and places like that!

OMG there is one here in Atlanta....

I want to go soooooooo bad.... I can not convince my fiance to go with me.

I dont have any friends that are fanatical or can even begin to appreciate the artifacts!

How does a drive to Atlanta sound!?!? :) :D

OMG there is one here in Atlanta....

I want to go soooooooo bad.... I can not convince my fiance to go with me.

I dont have any friends that are fanatical or can even begin to appreciate the artifacts!

How does a drive to Atlanta sound!?!? :) :D

ROAD TRIP!!! :D Let's see: West Texas to Atlanta? Straight drive on I-20, or is is I-10? lol!!:confused:

Archived