Epic, Eurodam or Breeze

buelah111

My husband and I are looking to book a cruise for the week of Thanksgiving. I think we've narrowed our options down to the Epic (Ocho, GC, and Cozumel), the Eurodam (Private Island, Ocho, GC and Key West), and the Breeze (Grand Turk, DR, Curacao and Aruba).

We are in our mid-30s, no children yet. I've been on multiple cruises, but this will just be the 3rd for my husband. I love a relaxing sea day, but my husband definitely wants some activity going on.

Below are the pros and cons I see on the three choices. I'd love any input or thoughts on whether I'm off-base on any of these items.

Epic - Lots to do on the ship, but only three port days (my husband prefers port days). Am not sure about how good the non-specialy dining would be (was not impressed on the Jade a few years ago). Would likely book a basic balcony, which would be nice.

Eurodam - I love the relaxed atmosphere on HAL, especially all the comfortable quite places (inside) to curl up with a good book and an ocean view on a sea day. In my experience the dining and service have been excellent and the cabins are nice. I like the itinerary, but I'm a bit concerned there wouldn't be enough activity and entertainment on the ship for my husband. Would likely book a balcony based on the prices I'm seeing.

Breeze - We've done two carnival cruises (the only cruises my husband has been on) and they were enjoyable. We loved the comedy club and there was plenty to do on the ship. I missed having a quite place to relax outside the cabin, however, and have been thinking I'm ready to get my husband on another cruise line. That said, I really like this itinerary and it has an extra day (4 stops, 3 sea days). We would likely be in an inside, or maybe outside, cabin to stay in a similar price-range to the other two.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out and see if the very knowledgeable cruisers on these boards have any thoughts we haven't considered as we make our decision in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your input!

Stacy

I have been on EPIC and will be on Breeze in 2 weeks. I liked the EPIC but I had a studio cabin so can't comment on a balcony. However, the spa was fantastic and I bought a pass and used it a lot. Tile loungers, and an aft balcony space with padded loungers and beds, it was lovely. The saunas had floor to ceiling window walls looking out to the sea.

MDR food was fine, I enjoyed meals in O'Sheehans 24 hour eatery as well as the layout of the buffet (can't be fresh made crepes with ice cream for desset!) However the lobster night is now in the buffet on the second night and I hear its a zoo up there.

As for ports.... I'd take the one that goes to Aruba and Curacao no thought necessary!! (I want to visit these countries, hence my excitement).

Eurodam is down to $549 for a balcony Nov 23. We are on that ship that week too. Been on Eurodam 3 times and love it. Also the Breeze is our favorite ship overall. However with the Thanksgiving week I would take the HAL ship anytime and you will enjoy. My two cents

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

buelah111, the Eurodam is not Maasdam !!

The Eurodam (Nieuw Amsterdam) is the most comfortable resort ship in the Caribbean. No comparison. Book Hydropool & Thermal Suite as soon as you get on the ship.

We prefer the Eastern itinerary (superb!), not Western.

I will post a daily program from last year for you to review.

Is it "fun"? Not "fun"?

For us - more than enough.

The second choice is the Breeze. Not as classy and comfortable as the Eurodam, but more "fun" if it's what you are looking for. I would try the water slide for sure.

You've already been on the Dream (a sister ship). That's another reason to try a new ship (the Eurodam).

And the third choice will be one of the first two.

Edited by cruisetrail

For whatever my 2 cents are worth.....been on both Epic and Breeze, not Eurodam......however we did not like the Epic at all, but LOVED the Breeze. Here's my comparison:

Cabin: Must upgrade to MiniSuite on Epic to equal standard balcony cabin on Breeze. Very small square footage in cabins on Epic.

Food: Was AWFUL on Epic, mediocre is stating it nicely. Breeze had much better quality food.

Entertainment: Better on Epic (Blue Man, Cirque Du Soleil) but you pay to see some of it. Overall, there is much much more to do on the Breeze all the time than on the Epic

Ship itself: Very disappointed in Epic, very claustrophobic, not alot of windows, very ugly decorating and narrow tiny cabins and halls. Breeze was far more open, could see the ocean on all public deck from lots of widows, very nice Caribbean decorating.

Staff: Much more friendly and plentiful on Breeze. Rarely saw crew on Epic....very odd

To us, Breeze won hands down in almost every catagory. Will not ever cruise on Epic again.

Edited by buddylover

Check the weather in Aruba (ABC Islands). We were there during Christmas and it was cloudy and rainy. I spoke with the "Information" girls at the port info kiosk and they said it was always like that every year.

I love that area but will never return during Christmas. Not sure if Thanksgiving will be okay, but that is pretty close to Christmas.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out and see if the very knowledgeable cruisers on these boards have any thoughts we haven't considered as we make our decision in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your input!

Stacy

Out of the 25 cruise I have taken, my favorite by far was earlier this year on the Celebrity Silhouette. Insides are only 499 and balconies for 699 for Thanksgiving. It's Sun-Sun out of Fort Lauderdale, with the sister ship, the Reflection doing Sat-Sat out of Miami. You may even be able to see if there are any agencies that have any bulk cabins left under the pick your perk promotion, but since you're looking at 7 weeks out, there may not be any.

For whatever my 2 cents are worth.....been on both Epic and Breeze, not Eurodam......however we did not like the Epic at all, but LOVED the Breeze. Here's my comparison:

Cabin: Must upgrade to MiniSuite on Epic to equal standard balcony cabin on Breeze. Very small square footage in cabins on Epic.

Food: Was AWFUL on Epic, mediocre is stating it nicely. Breeze had much better quality food.

Entertainment: Better on Epic (Blue Man, Cirque Du Soleil) but you pay to see some of it. Overall, there is much much more to do on the Breeze all the time than on the Epic

Ship itself: Very disappointed in Epic, very claustrophobic, not alot of windows, very ugly decorating and narrow tiny cabins and halls. Breeze was far more open, could see the ocean on all public deck from lots of widows, very nice Caribbean decorating.

Staff: Much more friendly and plentiful on Breeze. Rarely saw crew on Epic....very odd

To us, Breeze won hands down in almost every catagory. Will not ever cruise on Epic again.

I agree with your assessment. We met wonderful people on the Epic, but really didn't like the ship. Full Epic review in my signature.

Just sailed the Breeze 2 weeks ago, and thought the ship was wonderful. Many outdoor spaces, wonderfully decorated, great staff, and Matt Mitchum is a fantastic CD.

My pick would be the Breeze. The itinerary is great!

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Go with the Breeze for the itinerary, plus it's an 8 night cruise.

We enjoyed the Epic last April. Blue Man, Howl at the Moon were great. Food was good, lots of "paid" options if you want specialty dining. Keep in mind the funky bathroom arrangement on the Epic.

On the Breeze we are looking forward to new ports, the comedy club, movies under the stars, thrill theater, and the piano lounge.

The new HAL ships look beautiful but I can't shake the feeling they are for old people (and we are in our 50's!)

Let us know what you decide!

Interesting replies. We have been on the Epic, and the Eurodam. On the Breeze next week. So far I would choose the Eurodam, unless it was put up against the Breakaway or the Getaway. Then I would do one of them. We will see how we like the Breeze.

Also would prefer the Oasis or one of the largest RCCL ships. Quantum will be here next month! We are on it in November and January. I would just steer clear of the Epic. Take that one out of your decision.