Breakaway October 12 - 19 bahamas

MCAT48

We set sail on October 12th.

We had a great cruise. We have sailed 6 times all on ncl and this was our second on the breakaway. We took our two sons this time 11 & 15. 11 y/o's first cruise and 15 y/o's second.

The kids club Dolphins program. Son is 11 and he had a blast at the kids club. I was honestly not expecting this from him. He even asked to go when they were at the sports court running around. Each day he'd want to know what was on the schedule for him. I like how they make you give them a password for drop off and pick up. They even open early for drop off nights that rock of ages was playing and if you goto the late night they did not charge people the $6/hour for late night. They even called us the day we were scheduled to see the show to tell us they would open early for drop off which was very good.

We purchased the app on his iPod so he could message us when he wanted to leave since we did not want him signing himself out. The app worked great and worth the money for this.

The kids club circus show was great! It really made my day. The kids were so cute. The little ones had their faces painted as tigers! Aidan (our son) got to be the co-host of the show and he really enjoyed it! It was awesome for him and I know it made his first cruise more memorable!

Unfortunately the 15 y/o did not attend the teens program the first night or the second day and when he went to go there for an activity he said kids were just sitting and listening to music so he left and never went back. The thing he didn't like was the activities listed did not give any description as to what it was. Such as one said "spoons: extreme edition" what that means, I have no clue. They did however have sign ups for a free short behind the scenes tour that he did attend on Friday afternoon. It was only about 45 minutes long and I think he said they saw the trash room.

Ropes course/bounce/slides:

We thought we would just spend the day on the ship in Florida and just let the kids do the ropes course/bounce thing ect we were very disappointed in the fact they only had the ropes course open this day in the morning until 12 when we docked in port canaveral. When we went up there the line was long. I really don't understand why they would only have this stuff open until 12 considering how many people actually stayed on the ship at port canaveral. Anyhow, 15 y/o went through the whole ropes course fairly quickly. 11 y/o made it up the steps and then stood up there a minute to let others get around him and down the stairs he went. He tried again a few days later. He went all the way up the stairs walked the balance beam and then wrapped his arms around the pole at the other side and was terrified. There were no workers up there on this side of the course so I was a bit nervous but he worked up enough course to walk back and come right down the stairs. Maybe next year! The zip line was not open either time the kids did the ropes course.

Bounce: after the first time they did the ropes course we walked over to the bounce thing and they were getting ready to shut down. There was about 5 kids in line. Aidan at first didn't want to do it but the worker talked him into it. He was a really nice guy. All the guys in the sports deck were high energy happy cracking jokes with the kids, it was great!

Slides: lines were not too long and the kids went down them a lot.....

Food:

Great first day lunch at the mdr. We didn't go too crazy with food this cruise since we had the kids but we did take them to la cucina. The waiter we had was awesome although I couldn't really hear him. He was joking with the kids and he didn't charge us cover charge for either child just adults and the drinks we ordered. Because of this we tipped him $10. Very nice guy I think his name was Peter...or Paul..We saw the same server a few days later at lunch in the MDR and he came over to say hello to the boys.

We also took 15 y/o to le bistro for his first time. Food was okay. It's been better on other cruises. Scallops were not hot. Escargot was good...duck ehh..creme Brule always good.

Burgers at uptown grill: They started a new burger program a few days ago at uptown grill. They have a woman standing at a podium and they have 3 signature burgers to chose from or you can just pick what you want. They also have a salad bar. After you place your order they give you a number to put at your table and they bring you the burger. This was the most miserable point of the cruise. Very good concept but very poorly executed. They should have done this try out on a port day and not a sea day. There were so many people sitting waiting. People were screaming out their numbers at the servers when they saw them with a tray of food, it took over 1 hour and 20 minutes to get our burgers and fries. Some people just left after waiting so long we figured there is no point to leave after we were waiting so long. I never thought I'd be so upset about waiting for a burger! I felt so bad for the servers. This sweet woman kept coming upto us to tell us they're working on it. After and hour and 15 minutes a officer (guy in all white) come up to say sorry, it's a new concept they're working on it...we told him how long we had been waiting and he grinned and apologized saying "that is a long time to wait for a burger" and left. Awkward. ...................however! The burger I had was extremely good even though it wasn't what I ordered...:)

Buffet: was alright. They had different special nights. One night was Asian theme we went to. One night there was a Mexican theme...there maybe others I didn't see though.

Cirque dreams: awesome ! We went the first night the kids loved it. The food wasn't bad...dessert was gross in my opinion but 15 y/o liked it :) we were refunded the discounted price for going the first night automatically. We weren't aware of this so when we went to the front desk about it we were told we had to goto the box office then when we went there we were told it was done automatically. Would have been easier if the front desk people knew this so we didn't have to go all around...! Great show and worth the money.

Stateroom: 5164 family oceanview with large window.

Room was great. Plenty of storage all over. Enough room for all 4 of us!

Ports:

Florida we stayed on the ship as did many other families. We thought we were being smart and the ship would be empty - not the case!

GSC- weather was great! We booked 2 clam shells by the patron bar. We were on one of the first tenders and the first people to make it to the clam shells so we were able to pick any two we wanted. Got the first two on the front row! Best 20$ spent! Water was beautiful sun was shinning and the drinks were flowing! We did not make it over to buffet but the kids walked over as they were getting ready to close and were able to get some left over, the hot dog cart was parked next to the patron bar so we had a few hot dogs over the hours. At the end of the day it started to get cloudy and the rain started as soon as we sat down on the tender boat but it wasn't bad.

Nassau- we were off the ship as soon as it docked, there was no line of people we walked right off, found a taxi and took a short ride to Junkanoo beach and there was no one there for a few hours. The booths where you rent chairs/umbrellas was not even open yet. We spent almost the entire time in the water. The boys snorkled seeing lots of fish. They said they saw 2 sting rays and out further the bigger boys said they saw sea urchins. I spent the time watching Aidan snorkle. After we were done in the ocean we dried off and walked back before it got too hot. We made it to the straw market. Some lady wanted to show me her booth, we loose but didn't buy anything then everyone kept trying to sell us stuff I didn't want so I went right back out. Some guy wanted to sell my 11 y/o a Cuban cigar...back on the ship we went! All by 12:30!

This was such a great cruise. I can't wait to book our next vacation! I will try to upload photos later :)

Great review! We went the week before you. We also stayed on the ship in Port Canaveral and also in Nassau. Been there, done that. :p

We also went to Great Stirrup Cay. We rented a small cabaña, best money we ever spent! And the Hippo Slide was awesome. Did you or your kids try it?

I agree with your review, its almost identical to what mine would have been, except we only had 1 child with us. She's 7 and wanted to be at the splash Academy as much as possible.

Cirque was fabulous, we'd go again just for the show!

We went to the Uptown Grill a few days for breakfast, and once for lunch, really yummy. I guess they started the new burger program this week because it wasn't there when we were. You're a much more patient person than I am, because I would not have waited more than 15 minutes for it. It took less time to get a Lobster Roll from Ocean Blue on the Waterfront!

Happy you had a great cruise.

We are already looking to book again. :eek:

Three questions:

- how do you/ when can you rent clam shells on GAC? Did you pick which location ahead of time?

- was Junkanoo beach dirty? Last time we were there (5 yrs ago), I found it really dirty and a bit seedy. I don't recall any chair rental place- where was it? I wonder if maybe we wound up on a different beach.

- do you mean you booked cirque online for the first night and you were refunded the $? How- OBC or back to original form of payment? I ask because I want to treat 9 people ( in 3 diff cabins) to Cirque first night but don't want the credit back as OBC to their rooms but want it all back on my CC

Edited by conandrob240

Great review! We went the week before you. We also stayed on the ship in Port Canaveral and also in Nassau. Been there, done that. :p

We also went to Great Stirrup Cay. We rented a small cabaña, best money we ever spent! And the Hippo Slide was awesome. Did you or your kids try it?

I agree with your review, its almost identical to what mine would have been, except we only had 1 child with us. She's 7 and wanted to be at the splash Academy as much as possible.

Cirque was fabulous, we'd go again just for the show!

We went to the Uptown Grill a few days for breakfast, and once for lunch, really yummy. I guess they started the new burger program this week because it wasn't there when we were. You're a much more patient person than I am, because I would not have waited more than 15 minutes for it. It took less time to get a Lobster Roll from Ocean Blue on the Waterfront!

Happy you had a great cruise.

We are already looking to book again. :eek:

The hardest part about a cruise is leaving :)!! The splash academy was new to us so we were not really what to expect but we're very pleased with it.

I went to the q&a with the officers the morning they were starting it and they mentioned the burger program but they didn't say where or when, I thought it would have been in the buffet. I forgot to mention they also have a salad station there to where you can order salads the way you want. I'm not sure what they had because I held a table while my husband and kids went and ordered! This was a insane experience. I saw a group of 3 lady's one got their burger and they were passing it around eating it!! Lol I was actually more annoyed for them because that's just rediculous. I went to the restroom and came back and they were gone and I don't think they ever got their burgers :(

Despite that I cannot wait to book again!!!

I forgot to add that this time we did not do the hippo slide. We had gotten it for our older son the last cruise we took him on and he didn't use it much so didn't want to spend the money there although we did see kids running to it!

I spent most of my time in the water with the younger one following him around while he Snorkled. We also bought a water skipper ball from five below and squirt guns so we never left the water too much! :)

Edited by MCAT48

Three questions:

- how do you/ when can you rent clam shells on GAC? Did you pick which location ahead of time?

- was Junkanoo beach dirty? Last time we were there (5 yrs ago), I found it really dirty and a bit seedy. I don't recall any chair rental place- where was it? I wonder if maybe we wound up on a different beach.

- do you mean you booked cirque online for the first night and you were refunded the $? How- OBC or back to original form of payment? I ask because I want to treat 9 people ( in 3 diff cabins) to Cirque first night but don't want the credit back as OBC to their rooms but want it all back on my CC

We actually booked a clamshell the night before we were to stop @ GSC I believe. They have different areas you can book them they were nearly sold out by the time we booked. I think my husband said there were about 3 left he was told where we booked. When you get to the island and find the location of your clamshell you give the ticket to the person working there and you pick the one you want its first come picks.

Junkanoo beach was not dirty when we were there. We got to the beach around 8:30am. There are people who clean the beach, raking the sand and removing garbage. There were a few beer bottle caps a bit a glass here or there but nothing to extreme. we did get lucky with the fact we were there so early and left early we weren't bothered by too many people trying to sell things just one woman who was nice even after she tried to sell us her bracelets...

I believe the refund was given in obc but I'll have to check the statement we got this morning...I didn't want to look at it! :)

curious how much and what is included in hippo slide?

Also did your 11 yr old boy stay after hours? If so did he like the activities?

Thanks!

I think the hippo slide is 15$? Not sure but it includes a wrist band to use it all day.

He would want to stay but usually around 11:30 he was ready to go and would send us a text on the app to pick him up. It did depend on the night and how many kids stayed for late night too.

I have the dailies for the kids club I'll try to post but my photobucket and iPad is not cooperating!!

Thank you very much. Junkanoo is back in the running then for us if we don't feel like traveling further. The vendors were fine (a bit pushy but pleasant enough) but I remember a few guys hanging around not selling anything. Just lurking around. They made me uncomfortable there alone with my small child. And it was really dirty with bottle, broken glass, bottle caps, etc. sounds like maybe they cleaned it up quite a bit.

I think the hippo slide is $15 pp. Seems a little excessive to me. Even if a kid likes it, how many times are they really going to go down it?

I like the idea of the clam shells in the quiet lagoon area but the activities like the beach party sound fun for the kids on the main beach. Did anyone do any of those activities?

I read out 7 yr old all the activities including the ones after hours and she just kept screaming "yes!" to every single one. She did stay in the Disney kids club until 12 or 1 am every night. I would try to pick her up around 11pm and she would give me " the look" so I'd come back, same thing until they either closed or I told her she had to come now.

I think the hippo slide is 15$? Not sure but it includes a wrist band to use it all day.

He would want to stay but usually around 11:30 he was ready to go and would send us a text on the app to pick him up. It did depend on the night and how many kids stayed for late night too.

I have the dailies for the kids club I'll try to post but my photobucket and iPad is not cooperating!!

Thanks our 11 year old loves going to camp and goes just about every opportunity and likes to stay late so if my wife and I have something to do he will ask to stay till midnight. He is our social butterfly

Is a text from the kid using the app the only way to know if they want to be picked up? Do the counselors have a way of using the app to contact you if the I'd says they want to leave? I am only familiar with DCL kids club and they give everyone the wave phones.

When you drop off your child they ask you where you will be while they are in the kids club and they ask that you update them on your location so if they need you they can lactate you. I don't think they can use the app to contact you but I'm not 100% sure on that. We just let him bring his iPod so he could contact us if needed.

Thank you very much. Junkanoo is back in the running then for us if we don't feel like traveling further. The vendors were fine (a bit pushy but pleasant enough) but I remember a few guys hanging around not selling anything. Just lurking around. They made me uncomfortable there alone with my small child. And it was really dirty with bottle, broken glass, bottle caps, etc. sounds like maybe they cleaned it up quite a bit.

I think the hippo slide is $15 pp. Seems a little excessive to me. Even if a kid likes it, how many times are they really going to go down it?

I like the idea of the clam shells in the quiet lagoon area but the activities like the beach party sound fun for the kids on the main beach. Did anyone do any of those activities?

I read out 7 yr old all the activities including the ones after hours and she just kept screaming "yes!" to every single one. She did stay in the Disney kids club until 12 or 1 am every night. I would try to pick her up around 11pm and she would give me " the look" so I'd come back, same thing until they either closed or I told her she had to come now.

When we got to the beach we were the only ones there for at least an hour but there was a group of people sitting by the bathrooms. Then another larger group came and stood by the road. I was a bit nervous after reading the warnings on here about the crime in nassau but all was well. We kept all valuables on the ship. We didn't bring our cameras or wallets, just a bit of spending cash and my cell phone. Wedding ring stayed in the safe on the ship...so there was not much anyone could take anyway! The locAls on the beach were actually very nice.

I was also on this cruise. Just wanted to mention went to the Splash show with our friends to watch their two little ones dressed as tigers. Your son did an amazing job as the co-host and you can tell he really enjoyed the splash program just by the confidence he emitted while onstage!! Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Hippo slide is $15 in advance (all you can slide with wristband), $20 day of (all you can slide with wristband) or $5 per slide. We paid for 3 of us in advance, but only the 2 of us did it. We went at least 10 times each, so it was worth it anyway.

You'd be surprised how many times you wind up doing it. It was AWESOME!! I guess I'm a kid at heart (I'm 43).

What did the taxi cost to go to the beach? Were they readily available to take you back to the ship?

Taxi was $4 pp. there is a taxi stand at the pier. We only took a taxi to the beach and walked back so I'm not sure where you would get a taxi to go back.